Page 45 of 47 < 1 2 ... 43 44 45 46 47 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1943427 - 08/09/13 12:55 PM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? * [Re: TraditionKU]
Astronaut Offline
Deep Thinker

Loc: Wherever Deep Thinkers gather
Originally Posted By: TraditionKU
there is something about correlation and causation here......
Says the entire thread.

#1943684 - 08/10/13 01:13 AM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: Shirley]
imzcount Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: az
Originally Posted By: Shirley
Originally Posted By: TraditionKU
there is something about correlation and causation here......

just....can't...quite....put...my...finger....on....it....

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

George Bernard Shaw

Apples to oranges

#1943716 - 08/10/13 09:12 AM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: Astronaut]
TraditionKU Offline
Darwin

Loc: Wasatch Range
Originally Posted By: Astronaut
[quote=TraditionKU]there is something about correlation and causation here......
/quote]Says the entire thread.

kinda, sorta....but not really

#1943919 - 08/11/13 08:26 AM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: Shirley]
Shirley Offline
Pelvic Missionary

#1943921 - 08/11/13 08:50 AM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: Shirley]
unburnt_orange Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

George Bernard Shaw

It may well be that those with religious faith are happier than those without. I think there have been some studies to that effect? Can't recall where I read that.

However, I'm not sure it matters in terms of being able to do anything about it. We are all deluded about something(s), and we can't will ourselves into a particular delusion anymore than we can easily undelude ourselves in regard to our particular....delusions.

#1943935 - 08/11/13 09:52 AM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: Shirley]
Astronaut Offline
Deep Thinker

The best philosophical arguments are the ones that can be supported with cartoons and Sam Kinnison videos.

#1943948 - 08/11/13 10:55 AM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: unburnt_orange]
Shirley Offline
Pelvic Missionary

Originally Posted By: unburnt_orange

George Bernard Shaw

It may well be that those with religious faith are happier than those without. I think there have been some studies to that effect? Can't recall where I read that.

However, I'm not sure it matters in terms of being able to do anything about it. We are all deluded about something(s), and we can't will ourselves into a particular delusion anymore than we can easily undelude ourselves in regard to our particular....delusions.

But, to say "willfully ignorant", strikes me as rude.

“The human brain is a complex organ with the wonderful power of enabling man to find reasons for continuing to believe whatever it is that he wants to believe.”
― Voltaire

“Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.”
― Richard P. Feynman

#1943953 - 08/11/13 11:23 AM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: Shirley]
unburnt_orange Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

“The human brain is a complex organ with the wonderful power of enabling man to find reasons for continuing to believe whatever it is that he wants to believe.”
― Voltaire

I knew there must be a reason for my affinity for all things French. The older I get, the more convinced I become of how little I know and the more flaws I see in my powers of discernment. Paradoxically, the older I get the more I trust my own judgment and rely on it because, in the end, what else can I do? As my mother has advised me many a time, at least I will have had my say (even if I am horrifically wrong). I will continue to seek out the judgments of others because I always hope to learn something new or find a kindred spirit.

Golf is the exception to the above. On that topic I am infallible. The essence, once tasted, can never be untasted.

#1943959 - 08/11/13 12:14 PM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: Astronaut]
DCHawk1 Online   shocked
Proudly Derivative.

Loc: District of Columbia
Originally Posted By: Astronaut
The best philosophical arguments are the ones that can be supported with cartoons and Sam Kinnison videos. [/quote]

Amember when the Christianists cheered Eric Rudolph? And when the Pope gave him the ol' thumbs up? Or when none of the representatives of any of the major denominations stood up to condemn violence against abortion providers?

Me neither.

Oh well. EYE have the false equivalency problem, though.

#1944079 - 08/12/13 10:45 AM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: Shirley]
Shirley Offline
Pelvic Missionary

A northern Arizona family has survived being lost at sea for weeks after an ill-fated attempt to leave the U.S. over what they consider government interference in religion.

...The 26-year-old mother said they wanted to go to Kiribati because "we didn't want to go anywhere big." She said they understood the island to be "one of the least developed countries in the world." Kiribati is a group of islands just off the equator and the international date line about halfway between Hawaii and Australia. The total population is just over 100,000 people of primarily Micronesian descent.

Hannah Gastonguay said her family was fed up with government control in the U.S. As Christians they don't believe in "abortion, homosexuality, in the state-controlled church," she said. U.S. "churches aren't their own," Gastonguay said, suggesting that government regulation interfered with religious independence.

...In May, Hannah, her 30-year-old husband Sean, his father Mike, and the couple's daughters, 3-year-old Ardith and baby Rahab set off. They wouldn't touch land again for 91 days, she said. She said at first, "We were cruising."

But within a couple of weeks "when we came out there, storm, storm, storm." The boat had taken a beating, and they decided to set course for the Marquesas Islands. Instead, they found themselves in a "twilight zone," taking more and more damage, leaving them unable to make progress.

...Still, we "didn't feel like we were going to die or anything. We believed God would see us through," she said...

They were getting hit by "squall after, squall, after squall." "We were in the thick of it, but we prayed," she said. "Being out on that boat, I just knew I was going to see some miracles." They watched the surrounding storms disperse, and "next thing you know the sun is out. It's amazing."

[...]

#1944093 - 08/12/13 10:58 AM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: Shirley]
kellyfenton Offline
Pure Jayhawk

They were getting hit by "squall after, squall, after squall." "We were in the thick of it, but we prayed," she said. "Being out on that boat, I just knew I was going to see some miracles." They watched the surrounding storms disperse, and "next thing you know the sun is out. It's amazing."

How much more evidence do you need as to the efficacy of prayer?

#1944133 - 08/12/13 11:52 AM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: kellyfenton]
Shirley Offline
Pelvic Missionary

Originally Posted By: kellyfenton

How much more evidence do you need as to the efficacy of prayer?

^^^^^

Puts the burden of proof on those who doubt that "miracles happen every day".

#1944216 - 08/12/13 02:11 PM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: Shirley]
Astronaut Offline
Deep Thinker

If they were atheists they would have been smart enough to learn how to sail before attempting such a journey.

#1944218 - 08/12/13 02:16 PM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: Shirley]
kellyfenton Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Or at least smart enough to know the difference between religious persecution and whatever horsesh!t these folks had concocted to flee from.

#1944227 - 08/12/13 02:49 PM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: Shirley]
badair Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Topeka
(sailing in the tropics) looks a lot better on TV but can damned sure bring you close to God in a nana-second.

Page 45 of 47 < 1 2 ... 43 44 45 46 47 >

Preview