Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1252769 - 09/02/10 11:56 AM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: mushhawk]
1985hawk Offline
Moderator-Retired

Loc: Back here
I agree. You are obviously in a service function and the department you are dealing with is a much more important operating function. Making internal enemies is never a good thing for a career.

#1252770 - 09/02/10 12:16 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: RManFlint]
OREAD Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Quote:

Or maybe put her on speaker?

Actually, that is a very good one. Putting someone on speaker (unless it's a conference call) is actually a condescending put down if the conversation is one on one. Means you can be easily dealt with while the other party is handling three other things at the same time. Someone at an escrow company used to do that to me and I could always hear people snickering in the background. When I started politely pointing out how she had dropped the ball, she QUICKLY took me off the speaker. This is the best suggestion yet, simple yet highly effective.

#1252771 - 09/02/10 12:34 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: OREAD]
ku_painter Offline
Pixel Gangster

Loc: Rockin a dial-up connection
So far OREAD is the only one who has offered me any good office ammo. The rest of you are making assumptions about my job.

Lets take 1985hawks response as an example: "You are obviously in a service function and the department you are dealing with is a much more important operating function" This couldn't be further from the truth. We are supposed to be on the same team and function as a team. Plus, when it comes down to it.....she started it. And finally, my department is superior. We have MS Paint and PowerPoint on our eMachines and her team doesn't. Her team only has Word Perfect and they don't have laptops.

#1252772 - 09/02/10 12:35 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: ku_painter]
RManFlint Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Korova Milkbar
Quote:

] [M]y department is superior. We have MS Paint and PowerPoint on our eMachines and her team doesn't. Her team only has Word Perfect and they don't have laptops.

Show her how yours go to eleven.

#1252773 - 09/02/10 12:51 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: ku_painter]
OREAD Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

"Her team only has Word Perfect"

Oh geez! Even if they had the programs you do, they probably wouldn't know what to do with them. Many times in office settings, the only thing a less talented person can do is try to drag you down to their level. This one b!tch was always trying to do that to me. After I started politely correcting her grammar (noblesse oblige) as she was speaking (with others present), she backed off quickly and COMPLETELY.

#1252774 - 09/02/10 12:57 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: RManFlint]
hiker Offline
Baby Jay

Quote:

Quote:

] [M]y department is superior. We have MS Paint and PowerPoint on our eMachines and her team doesn't. Her team only has Word Perfect and they don't have laptops.

Show her how yours go to eleven.

At my company (and most others I assume), that would quickly get you fired under our sexual harrassment policy. She may very well be impressed, though.

#1252775 - 09/02/10 02:40 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: hiker]
RManFlint Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Korova Milkbar
If Painter goes to eleven he may want to consider a new career path.

#1252776 - 09/02/10 07:43 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: RManFlint]
EllisWyatt Offline
Someone's Douchey Sock.

Loc: Colorado
What is your objective? At this point, it doesn't sound like you are trying to solve an actual problem...

None of the juvenile, passive-aggressive tactics you've employed so far will accomplish anything except creating more animosity between you and the individual in question. If I worked in your office, I would lose a great deal of respect for you whether I felt your reasons for being annoyed with the other individual were valid or not. The fact that your "solution" to this problem is a tit-for-tat which simply wastes time and makes life difficult for your coworker would raise serious questions about your maturity and professionalism.

Most all of us are required to deal with difficult co-workers and customers...thankfully in my experience, in most business settings you simply work through it in a professional manner, sometimes enduring a great deal of aggravation, annoyance and other less-than-ideal conditions along the way. In a professional setting, a professional will maintain his composure regardless of the circumstances - that's just what the medium commands of us.

Pretend you're standing trial in a court of law...unless you're some kind of sociopath, you wouldn't "retaliate" against your attorney, opposing counsel or the judge, no matter how frustrating their behavior may become. You should treat your workplace in the same fashion...the kind of things you are doing are just not acceptable in the business arena...for ANY reason.

#1252777 - 09/02/10 07:51 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: EllisWyatt]
alexoobers Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

#1252778 - 09/02/10 08:34 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: EllisWyatt]
ku_painter Offline
Pixel Gangster

Loc: Rockin a dial-up connection
Quote:

What is your objective? At this point, it doesn't sound like you are trying to solve an actual problem...

None of the juvenile, passive-aggressive tactics you've employed so far will accomplish anything except creating a mildly entertaining thread on a message board that killed some time at work before the holiday weekend. Nice piece of fiction Painter. Well done.

fyp

#1252779 - 09/02/10 08:43 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: ku_painter]
EllisWyatt Offline
Someone's Douchey Sock.

Loc: Colorado
Oh. It was a "joke." Got ya.

#1252780 - 09/02/10 09:52 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: EllisWyatt]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
Okay...here's a couple suggestions on things I've done to co-workers....

If she works near you, come early and empty all but three of her staples EVERY morning. Hide/steal her pens. Hide/steal anything non obvious in her cubicle/office. Empty her printer of paper, or type "Service Printer Soon" in big fonts on a word document in the middle of a page, then randomly put three or four of these mixed in amongst her normal paper in the printer. When one comes out, she'll ask your IT guy for help and look like a dumbshhit. Steal/loosen the cord on her phone, so when she answers it when it's ringing, she'll pick it up and the cord is either gone, or not connected anymore. Visine (a full bottle) poured in coffee elicits no taste, but gives one explosive shats.

Just some ideas....and a reminder that you may NOT want to ever work with me.

RCJHKU!

#1252781 - 09/02/10 11:15 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: ku_painter]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

Work over her shoulder after taking a hit or 2 of Jenkem.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Preview