Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1252739 - 09/01/10 03:41 PM office tactics ...I need suggestions
ku_painter Offline
Pixel Gangster

Loc: Rockin a dial-up connection
I'm on a project that is the super suck and 95% of it has to do with one of the customers/clients. I need some good suggestions for things to do to annoy her, but not get fired.

Here's what I am doing so far to annoy this person. We will call her B for illustration purposes:

1) When on phone calls with B, I tell her that I need to put her on hold for a sec.
I put her on hold and then take the bathroom break and hit the vending machine and then mosey back to my desk and get back on the phone.

2) E-mail delay -- When B emails, I take a minimum of 40 minutes to reply no matter how simple the question or the response. I also look at her Outlook calendar and try to time emails for right before she is going into a meeting. The delay feature in Outlook is awesome for helping with the delay.

Additionally on the email...no matter how simple the request, I make sure to email back and always ask for "further clarification". This basically constipates the whole development process, but can be explained away as being very detail oriented.

3) Instant Message--- When B pings me, I absolutely do not respond to her under any circumstances.

Looking for more clever ideas to annoy.....

#1252740 - 09/01/10 03:49 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: ku_painter]
larryb2 Offline
Am I Wrong?

Loc: United Center
Keep burping on the phone. Of course say excuse me but then throw in a fart for good measure. Tell her you are super busy and have indegestion from all the interuptions.

#1252741 - 09/01/10 03:50 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: ku_painter]
and_one Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Colorado
I have customers/clients like that....

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6906851

#1252742 - 09/01/10 03:56 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: and_one]
larryb2 Offline
Am I Wrong?

Tell her you would like to meet up with her on the way back from seeing the doctor for what you think may be Meningitis or Malaria.

#1252743 - 09/01/10 03:57 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: and_one]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby
LOL

#1252744 - 09/01/10 03:58 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: larryb2]
ku_painter Offline
Pixel Gangster

Come on gutter, this is serious business. How you gonna pull off farting on (into) the phone unless you physically hold the phone up to your ass. This is assume of course that you do not have some weird talent you have not told us about ?

#1252745 - 09/01/10 04:09 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: ku_painter]
larryb2 Offline
Am I Wrong?

I often fart out of my mouth.

Since you don't want to get fired and are representing a company the best advice I can give you is to try your best to deal with her. Probably easier said than done but what other choice do you have?

#1252746 - 09/01/10 04:10 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: larryb2]
ku_painter Offline
Pixel Gangster

Quote:

what other choice do you have?

This is why I started my thread

#1252747 - 09/01/10 04:13 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: ku_painter]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby
Get the project finished as soon as you can and move on.

#1252748 - 09/01/10 04:40 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: ku_painter]
unburnt_orange Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Is this a joke? If you're serious and you want to keep this job, then IMO what you're doing is already a very bad idea...several very bad ideas...without adding even more bad ideas.

#1252749 - 09/01/10 04:54 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: unburnt_orange]
bpritchett Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Exile
I don't know. I've had clients who sent so many idiot messages (email, phone, skype, text) demanding an immediate response nothing ever got done. You had to prioritize for them, and that meant guarding your time -- one project phone call a day morning or evening, whatever made the most sense -- and hiding the rest of the time.

And then there was that one client who just needed a life outside the office, so we set them up with somebody. Nothing sleazy. Perfectly well intentioned, and it worked out pretty well for everybody involved.

#1252750 - 09/01/10 04:58 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: bpritchett]
unburnt_orange Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

I must be unfamiliar with this type of client. Most of mine have been doctors, and if I left one on hold for a "sec" while I mosied to the bathroom and vending machine, you'd hear the screams in Texas.

#1252751 - 09/01/10 05:12 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: unburnt_orange]
madcapper Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: center of nowhere
I'd fire you for dragging things out and being a nuisance.

#1252752 - 09/01/10 06:03 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: ku_painter]
jensen Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Charleston, SC
Walk over to her desk and clip your fingernails while asking her a question.

Start copying her superiors on your email replies.

#1252753 - 09/01/10 06:15 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: ku_painter]
unburnt_orange Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

On the other hand, if your client is 5-10 go for it.

#1252754 - 09/01/10 06:45 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: larryb2]
sensei Offline
[censored] you

Loc: East Lawrence represent!!!
Quote:

I often fart out of my mouth.

q4t

Usually ends up on your keyboard too.

#1252755 - 09/01/10 07:25 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: sensei]
larryb2 Offline
Am I Wrong?

True! I love you Sensei!

#1252756 - 09/01/10 07:28 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: larryb2]
theno1kufan Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Lawrence, KS
q4t?

#1252757 - 09/01/10 09:58 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: theno1kufan]
jhawks99 Offline
Defense

Loc: Rebounds
Constantly remind her of your MBA

#1252758 - 09/02/10 12:41 AM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: jhawks99]
JHawkJR Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: OPKS
there's a few good ones here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NisCkxU544c

#1252759 - 09/02/10 03:45 AM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: JHawkJR]
stumptownhawk Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: oregon
You could call her on your cell, tell her your getting a weak signal. Keep hanging up, say you lost the call. Blame it on the elevator.

Repeatedly tell her "your cutting out, could you say that again please."

Make sure to use a crappy wireless mike that makes everything sound like your on a speakerphone.

#1252760 - 09/02/10 06:57 AM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: theno1kufan]
jayhawklaw Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Free State Lobby
Quote:

q4t?

n00b

#1252761 - 09/02/10 07:44 AM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: jayhawklaw]
minhin Offline
Uh Oh

Loc: ...in the warm sun
Laughing at this whole thing.

#1252762 - 09/02/10 08:30 AM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: minhin]
Jayhawksfan942 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: I'd rather be in Lawrence
Have any of you ever tried the stapler in jello trick? I think that would be hilarious to see/do

#1252763 - 09/02/10 08:46 AM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: Jayhawksfan942]
hiker Offline
Baby Jay

I once got a co-worker to quit their job after I put a dead goose in their van. I felt bad, considering it was my summer job and he'd been there for 20+ years. He was unhappy, so I probably did him a favor.

You could try to make peace by bringing her some coffee. As you set it down, say, "I hope you like cream" and give her a wink.

#1252764 - 09/02/10 09:20 AM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: hiker]
jayheel Offline
Under New Management

Loc: Spencer Basement
This reminds me of you, painter...

http://www.27bslash6.com/missy.html

#1252765 - 09/02/10 09:54 AM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: jayheel]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
Painter, I don't understand the tactic to try to make things better by doing things to make them worse.
If you have a problem with her, why not explain to her what the problem is and why that problem is an impediment to your progress? Surely she would respond favorably to that...

www.cappersoverlay.com

#1252766 - 09/02/10 10:12 AM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: appyhawk]
ku_painter Offline
Pixel Gangster

I read where you guys are coming from with your advice, but none of these suggestions will work. B is actually an internal client. We are technically on the same team. We are supposed to work together as a team She doesn't work like this. All of these reasons are why I have resorted to idiotic acts of random annoyance. No way I want to actually talk to her all face to face and stuff.

#1252767 - 09/02/10 11:11 AM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: ku_painter]
RManFlint Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Korova Milkbar
Quote:

Come on gutter, this is serious business. How you gonna pull off farting on (into) the phone unless you physically hold the phone up to your ass. This is assume of course that you do not have some weird talent you have not told us about ?

Ask her if you can hold while you go empty your colostomy bag. Or maybe put her on speaker?

#1252768 - 09/02/10 11:54 AM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: Geezer]
mushhawk Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: State, Country
Quote:

Get the project finished as soon as you can and move on.

Surprisingly, I'm with Geezer on this one.
Much better than passive agressive 3rd grade tactics.

#1252769 - 09/02/10 11:56 AM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: mushhawk]
1985hawk Offline
Moderator-Retired

Loc: Back here
I agree. You are obviously in a service function and the department you are dealing with is a much more important operating function. Making internal enemies is never a good thing for a career.

#1252770 - 09/02/10 12:16 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: RManFlint]
OREAD Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Quote:

Or maybe put her on speaker?

Actually, that is a very good one. Putting someone on speaker (unless it's a conference call) is actually a condescending put down if the conversation is one on one. Means you can be easily dealt with while the other party is handling three other things at the same time. Someone at an escrow company used to do that to me and I could always hear people snickering in the background. When I started politely pointing out how she had dropped the ball, she QUICKLY took me off the speaker. This is the best suggestion yet, simple yet highly effective.

#1252771 - 09/02/10 12:34 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: OREAD]
ku_painter Offline
Pixel Gangster

So far OREAD is the only one who has offered me any good office ammo. The rest of you are making assumptions about my job.

Lets take 1985hawks response as an example: "You are obviously in a service function and the department you are dealing with is a much more important operating function" This couldn't be further from the truth. We are supposed to be on the same team and function as a team. Plus, when it comes down to it.....she started it. And finally, my department is superior. We have MS Paint and PowerPoint on our eMachines and her team doesn't. Her team only has Word Perfect and they don't have laptops.

#1252772 - 09/02/10 12:35 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: ku_painter]
RManFlint Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

] [M]y department is superior. We have MS Paint and PowerPoint on our eMachines and her team doesn't. Her team only has Word Perfect and they don't have laptops.

Show her how yours go to eleven.

#1252773 - 09/02/10 12:51 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: ku_painter]
OREAD Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

"Her team only has Word Perfect"

Oh geez! Even if they had the programs you do, they probably wouldn't know what to do with them. Many times in office settings, the only thing a less talented person can do is try to drag you down to their level. This one b!tch was always trying to do that to me. After I started politely correcting her grammar (noblesse oblige) as she was speaking (with others present), she backed off quickly and COMPLETELY.

#1252774 - 09/02/10 12:57 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: RManFlint]
hiker Offline
Baby Jay

Quote:

Quote:

] [M]y department is superior. We have MS Paint and PowerPoint on our eMachines and her team doesn't. Her team only has Word Perfect and they don't have laptops.

Show her how yours go to eleven.

At my company (and most others I assume), that would quickly get you fired under our sexual harrassment policy. She may very well be impressed, though.

#1252775 - 09/02/10 02:40 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: hiker]
RManFlint Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

If Painter goes to eleven he may want to consider a new career path.

#1252776 - 09/02/10 07:43 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: RManFlint]
EllisWyatt Offline
Someone's Douchey Sock.

What is your objective? At this point, it doesn't sound like you are trying to solve an actual problem...

None of the juvenile, passive-aggressive tactics you've employed so far will accomplish anything except creating more animosity between you and the individual in question. If I worked in your office, I would lose a great deal of respect for you whether I felt your reasons for being annoyed with the other individual were valid or not. The fact that your "solution" to this problem is a tit-for-tat which simply wastes time and makes life difficult for your coworker would raise serious questions about your maturity and professionalism.

Most all of us are required to deal with difficult co-workers and customers...thankfully in my experience, in most business settings you simply work through it in a professional manner, sometimes enduring a great deal of aggravation, annoyance and other less-than-ideal conditions along the way. In a professional setting, a professional will maintain his composure regardless of the circumstances - that's just what the medium commands of us.

Pretend you're standing trial in a court of law...unless you're some kind of sociopath, you wouldn't "retaliate" against your attorney, opposing counsel or the judge, no matter how frustrating their behavior may become. You should treat your workplace in the same fashion...the kind of things you are doing are just not acceptable in the business arena...for ANY reason.

#1252777 - 09/02/10 07:51 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: EllisWyatt]
Happy Birthday alexoobers Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

#1252778 - 09/02/10 08:34 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: EllisWyatt]
ku_painter Offline
Pixel Gangster

Quote:

What is your objective? At this point, it doesn't sound like you are trying to solve an actual problem...

None of the juvenile, passive-aggressive tactics you've employed so far will accomplish anything except creating a mildly entertaining thread on a message board that killed some time at work before the holiday weekend. Nice piece of fiction Painter. Well done.

fyp

#1252779 - 09/02/10 08:43 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: ku_painter]
EllisWyatt Offline
Someone's Douchey Sock.

Oh. It was a "joke." Got ya.

#1252780 - 09/02/10 09:52 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: EllisWyatt]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
Okay...here's a couple suggestions on things I've done to co-workers....

If she works near you, come early and empty all but three of her staples EVERY morning. Hide/steal her pens. Hide/steal anything non obvious in her cubicle/office. Empty her printer of paper, or type "Service Printer Soon" in big fonts on a word document in the middle of a page, then randomly put three or four of these mixed in amongst her normal paper in the printer. When one comes out, she'll ask your IT guy for help and look like a dumbshhit. Steal/loosen the cord on her phone, so when she answers it when it's ringing, she'll pick it up and the cord is either gone, or not connected anymore. Visine (a full bottle) poured in coffee elicits no taste, but gives one explosive shats.

Just some ideas....and a reminder that you may NOT want to ever work with me.

RCJHKU!

#1252781 - 09/02/10 11:15 PM Re: office tactics ...I need suggestions [Re: ku_painter]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

Work over her shoulder after taking a hit or 2 of Jenkem.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Preview