Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1219464 - 06/15/10 10:48 PM Billy Butler & long-term deal
41and2since94 Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Antarctica
CBS shows Butler's 2010 salary is $470k. What an incredible bargain (relatively speaking, of course)! But he's only signed through the end of 2010? WTF?

Sure seems like it's well past time for Dayton to sign him to a long-term deal. Do it. Now. Umm...now.

#1219465 - 06/16/10 06:37 AM Re: Billy Butler & long-term deal [Re: 41and2since94]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: In the Corleone compound
Not sure you need to be in a rush to lock up your future DH.

#1219466 - 06/16/10 09:18 AM Re: Billy Butler & long-term deal [Re: jammahawk]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
And don't fret about that one-year contract. He's still very much under Royals control. He'll hit arbitration this offseason.

As for a long-term deal...I'm not sure it's a good idea. Butler's a very good hitter. But he adds little defensive value, and he's not so awesome a hitter to deserve free agent first base money. Your Morneau/Teixeira/Howard sort of money. And the Royals have a lot of prospects coming along who might need that position.

#1219467 - 06/16/10 10:07 AM Re: Billy Butler & long-term deal [Re: JFish26]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Loc: Mt. Oread's Shadow
Quote:

And don't fret about that one-year contract. He's still very much under Royals control. He'll hit arbitration this offseason.

As for a long-term deal...I'm not sure it's a good idea. Butler's a very good hitter. But he adds little defensive value, and he's not so awesome a hitter to deserve free agent first base money. Your Morneau/Teixeira/Howard sort of money. And the Royals have a lot of prospects coming along who might need that position.

Fish...I do not understand your logic sometimes. You defend AG to 10 degree and talk about how he raked for one year or 600 at bats and did it at a young age. But when Butler comes up you talk like he has no value when all he has done is actually put up good numbers and he is what, 24 or 25?

I grant you he is no defensive star really is a DH and no he does not deserve Tex, Howard money...but nobody said that he did. The Royals should at least try to see if he can be locked up for a longer term deal (not ten years or anything crazy) at a reasonable amount of money.

#1219468 - 06/16/10 10:24 AM Re: Billy Butler & long-term deal [Re: jayhwk01]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
It's a matter of scarcity. Someone from the Moustakas/Hosmer/Myers group will probably need that position, and it's not smart baseball to commit to a non-superstar first baseman for a long period.

Put it this way--if BIlly wants to take below-market money, then fine. Sure, do it. There may yet be real power in his bat, and if he finds it, he's a superstar. But if he's looking for a market deal...a small market team should never pay market for a first baseman.

It's not that I think Gordon's better than Butler. He's not, and probably won't be. The issue is in committing to Butler long-term. At the moment, that's not all that smart. Sign him through 2013 with an option for 2014 or something...buy out his arbitration seasons. No problem by me.

Preview