Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1211023 - 06/04/10 11:32 AM I've been lurking for some time... [Re: namohcan_99]
Surly Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Pure Kansas
and can only say that in my humble mind this cannot and will not happen to the league. Somehow, they'll make sense, mend fences and work out a solution that fits the nature of this league. I can't imagine aTm, for example, running off to Pullman, WA and Corvallis, OR to play wbb. It just doesn't make sense.

#1211024 - 06/04/10 11:36 AM Re: I've been lurking for some time... [Re: Surly]
Ryan2845 Offline
Max Falkenstien

The Big 12 should just mess with them and invite 4 pac10 teams to the Big 12.

#1211025 - 06/04/10 11:43 AM Re: I've been lurking for some time... [Re: Ryan2845]
Surly Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

It would be funny to see Mike Stoops again.

#1211026 - 06/04/10 12:17 PM Re: I've been lurking for some time... [Re: Surly]
kuoirad Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Austin, TX
From what I understand, we're on the outside looking in because we have our own "Tech-type" problem over in Mancrappy...

#1211027 - 06/04/10 02:29 PM Re: I've been lurking for some time... [Re: kuoirad]
Surly Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

The land granters have their ways, I guess. Although Tech is not in that family of schools.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_land-grant_universities

#1211028 - 06/04/10 03:50 PM Re: I've been lurking for some time... [Re: Surly]
guscat Offline
Dumbest Poster on the Board

I'd think Texas would want to have ku with them, with ku being elite and all. Plus, they'd pad their record with cupcakes, seeing how you've never beaten them in football.

K-State would definitely not be welcome. We're the conference paupers that own the Longhorns, the richest team in the conference. Definitely not the way to go for the 'Horns.

#1211029 - 06/04/10 03:55 PM Re: I've been lurking for some time... [Re: guscat]
mdfraz Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Lawrence
So, by virtue of beating one team in the conference, you AREN'T the weaker of the two Kansas schools? Must be nice to focus like a laser beam on one category and draw massive conclusions from it. But I guess that's what the whole DoD was about.........

#1211030 - 06/04/10 04:01 PM Re: I've been lurking for some time... [Re: mdfraz]
guscat Offline

We ARE discussing the Big 12, no? So tell me ku's winning percentage in Big 12 play? Did it ever get past .350? Didn't think so. K-State's is above .600 in conference play, so it would appear that we dominated more schools than Texas, including ku (you've lost, what, 15 of the last 20?). The conclusion was not drawn from a "laser beam on one category". I'd be pleased to discuss all the other ways K-State was an asset to the conference in football, and how ku was too in it's own way (namely, a cupcake to pad the stats with). Make no mistake, the realignment is centered on football--that's where conferences make their gravy.

#1211031 - 06/04/10 04:05 PM Re: I've been lurking for some time... [Re: guscat]
guscat Offline

I differ from many 'Cat fans in that I don't want any mandates that ku be forced to take K-State with them to any conference they can find to accept them.
1. Don't think ku will find a better conference than K-State to begin with.
2. There's a chance that anyone that would want Kansas TV sets would not want them split with another conference, despite ku's insistence that everyone in Kansas loves ku, and only a few isolated farmers are fans of K-State.

I'd urge ku to look out for itself, ditto for K-State.

#1211032 - 06/04/10 04:45 PM Re: I've been lurking for some time... [Re: guscat]
mdfraz Offline
Baby Jay

gus, you are right that football drives most of this. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean you ONLY look at the conference stats when considering a football program's status. If you can't accept that, I can't help you.

#1211033 - 06/04/10 05:14 PM Re: Big 12 Teams are going to be invited to Pac 10 [Re: Mustang]
shades Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: South of Paris
I wouldn't be surprised if, someday (20 years from now? 30 years? who knows?), college football essentially boils down to one or two super-conferences containing about 30 teams, with the Big Guys not much giving a damn what happens to the rest of the college football world.

For lack of a better term, call it an evolving (or devolving) toward the College Football Big Biz Model.

Proceeds and glory, baby.

#1211034 - 06/04/10 05:15 PM Re: I've been lurking for some time... [Re: mdfraz]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Don't worry mdfraz, nobody can help little gussy out. Of course not everyone in Kansas loves KU, there's plenty of delusional jealous small minded people with Napoleon complexes like gussy running around as well as a few smart but misguided individuals too.

#1211035 - 06/04/10 05:18 PM Re: I've been lurking for some time... [Re: mdfraz]
Lawhawk2011 Offline
Baby Jay

Kstate is hands down a GREAT get for any conference with their solid football tradition. I mean after all, it wasn't just a decade of being second best to Nebraska, no it's like 15 years or something. Plus, Old Balls isn't dead YET. So long as bucktooth is kicking over there, you can expect kstate to go AT LEAST .500 against FCS schools in a given year. Now granted, nobody and I mean NOBODY has ever managed to win in mancrappy besides ol' BS, but that's talking about the past and the near future. FOCUS ON THE NOW. Right now, KU's football team is breaking in a new coaching staff while kstate is reloading juco talent and trying to figure out who their next failure of a coach will be. When you think about it, this really does make kstate an interesting addition to a conference. You can claim that they didn't suck less than a decade ago and then you can beat the snot out of them for decades. Look for the Big Televen to say "To hell with academics, we want soil judging championships!" Isn't that right, kitty?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Preview