Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1200499 - 05/11/10 11:21 AM "I think Trey's done a terrific job."
jnewell Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Lawrence, KS
-Dayton Moore, May 10, 2010

KCRoyals.com

#1200500 - 05/11/10 11:44 AM Re: "I think Trey's done a terrific job." [Re: jnewell]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
As usual, Rany's got the shovel ready for Hillman's interment:

Quote:

Trey Hillman has crossed the point of no return in Kansas City.

Yesterday’s game was an exhibition of managerial malpractice almost unparalleled in the history of the franchise. Hillman could hardly have damaged the Royals’ chances to win the game more if he had tried. It is exceedingly important that every Royals fan understand the extent to which Hillman hurt both his team’s chances of winning last night, and his most well-paid pitcher’s chances of earning his generous contract for well into the future.

[...]

Ten months ago, Trey Hillman made perhaps the worst decision of his managerial career, and ruined – perhaps irrevocably – his second-best starting pitcher. Yesterday, faced with the same choice, he made the exact same decision. There can be no stronger evidence that Hillman hasn’t learned a thing on the job.

[...]

David Glass is getting pissed. Most fans still have this image of Glass as this soulless, bean-counting owner who cares about the accounting ledgers more than the standings. But I stand by what I’ve written since Dayton Moore was hired: David Glass has been a model owner for the last four years. He hired the man who was considered the #1 GM prospect in the game by Baseball America, he’s let Moore run the team without interference, and he has opened his wallet when Moore asked him to.

[...]

Since the Royals’ magical, mystical 18-11 start last season, they have now played 164 games – a full season plus two more games. They’re 58-106 in that span. That’s astonishing. In 2005, the year before Moore was hired, the Royals reached the absolute nadir of their existence by going 56-106. Five years later, despite a payroll more than 50% higher, despite millions being invested in the farm system, the Royals are exactly as bad now as they were then.

http://www.ranyontheroyals.com/2010/05/hillmans-last-stand.html

#1200501 - 05/11/10 12:16 PM Re: "I think Trey's done a terrific job." [Re: JFish26]
jamboslice Offline
John Brown

Loc: Overland Park, KS
I heard the conversation this morning about how a manager only effects 5 games, positively or negatively, a year. I think with Hillman it's more like he effects if by 10 in the negative direction a year.

#1200502 - 05/11/10 12:21 PM Re: "I think Trey's done a terrific job." [Re: jamboslice]
theno1kufan Offline
Baby Jay

Ugh, can they just fire Hillman and make FW the interim already?

#1200503 - 05/11/10 12:25 PM Re: "I think Trey's done a terrific job." [Re: theno1kufan]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Well, for a team like the Royals, the important part isn't what happens on a game-to-game basis. It's about developing players. And that's been a problem.

#1200504 - 05/11/10 12:33 PM Re: "I think Trey's done a terrific job." [Re: JFish26]
supermario15 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: KCK
Trey will probably coach out the rest of the year.I think DM may target Freddi Gonzalez from FLA since for some reason FLA ownership has been wanting to can him

#1200505 - 05/11/10 01:06 PM Re: "I think Trey's done a terrific job." [Re: theno1kufan]
jnewell Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Quote:

White would probably be worse than Hillman. Seriously.

#1200506 - 05/11/10 01:49 PM Re: "I think Trey's done a terrific job." [Re: jnewell]
theno1kufan Offline
Baby Jay

Quote:

Quote:

"Well, for a team like the Royals, the important part isn't what happens on a game-to-game basis. It's about developing players. And that's been a problem."

Frank would be the man to correct this. Also notice how I suggested they slap the "interim" tag on him, if he sucks then you can let him go back to broadcasting at the end of the summer.

#1200507 - 05/11/10 02:14 PM Re: "I think Trey's done a terrific job." [Re: theno1kufan]
jnewell Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

"Well, for a team like the Royals, the important part isn't what happens on a game-to-game basis. It's about developing players. And that's been a problem."

Frank would be the man to correct this. Also notice how I suggested they slap the "interim" tag on him, if he sucks then you can let him go back to broadcasting at the end of the summer.

Good point. Though I'm not sure I could stand a manager that loves bunting more than Hillman. And that thinks that the Royals' problem on offense this year is not hitting well with runners in scoring position (as opposed to not drawing any walks).

#1200508 - 05/11/10 02:52 PM Re: "I think Trey's done a terrific job." [Re: jnewell]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Loc: Mt. Oread's Shadow
Quote:

-Dayton Moore, May 10, 2010

KCRoyals.com

TH makes some horrible decisions but what has he had to run out there? Not much. Just crappy all the way around for Royals Nation. Sigh.....

#1200509 - 05/11/10 02:55 PM Re: "I think Trey's done a terrific job." [Re: jayhwk01]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

That's why the stuff with Meche (or burying Kila) is far worse than anything tactical.

#1200510 - 05/11/10 03:02 PM Re: "I think Trey's done a terrific job." [Re: JFish26]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Loc: Mt. Oread's Shadow
You will get no argument from me Fish. The Royals use/misuse of players is simply abysmal.

#1200511 - 05/11/10 10:11 PM Re: "I think Trey's done a terrific job." [Re: theno1kufan]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: In the Corleone compound
Quote:

I don't understand why people are wanting Frank White. Do you want to see him fired???? Former Royals John Wathan, and Hal McRae were both canned while having winning teams. Wathan was 10 games over .500 and was fired. McRae had the team on a huge winning streak and would have been a serious playoff contender had the season not been stopped because of the strike. Also canned.
Why hire legends only to fire them.

#1200512 - 05/12/10 12:06 AM Re: "I think Trey's done a terrific job." [Re: jammahawk]
Merg311 Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Hays, KS
Wonder what Tony Muser is up to these days...

#1200513 - 05/12/10 12:35 PM Re: "I think Trey's done a terrific job." [Re: Merg311]
oreadical Offline
Resident Duck

Loc: TJ's Fanny Pack
Muser is a roving minor league instructor for the Padres.

Preview