Page 17 of 24 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 23 24 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#12133 - 04/05/07 02:09 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: JHAWX75]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: In the Corleone compound
Sorry I hijacked your thread and turned it into a I Hate the Yankees thread, I really prefer to talk about the game on the field, but this forum is giving me the chance to vent.
I do not dispute for one second that the Yankees are the most storied franchise of all sports of all time, no argument at all. Everytime I go to Kauffman stadium when the Yankees are there, it is full, and I realize it is because of the Yankee mystic. Their fanbase is rivaled by none.
My point all along has been not that the Yankees don't field a great team, because they do, my point is the Yankees are able to field that team, not because they they can develope talent, but that they have more resources that are not available to others that allows them to do so.
I would love to have Bernie Williams, Rivera, and Jeter. My team the Royals never had a chance to get them other than Jeter. Wiliams, and Rivera were never in the free agent draft, they were given a huge bonus as teenagers out of Latin America. Small market teams can't afford the kind of risk.
Do you oppose the following;
1. Salary cap (NFL and NBA have)
2. World draft
3. T.V. revenue sharing

BTW, I've been a Royals fan since '69.

#12134 - 04/05/07 09:50 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: JHAWX75]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Loc: Mt. Oread's Shadow
Quote:

Easy to hate a winner, isnt it! Especially when your a Royals fan! Bill Russell even says we have too many rings!

Who am a fan of has nothing to do with hating the Yankees. I just hate them and most of what they represent in todays game. They only people blind to it are Yankee fans like yourself. Next thing you know you are going to try and tell me Jeter is the greatest SS ever....oh yeah we already had that argument. The thickness of your blinders are....well blinding.

#12135 - 04/06/07 08:27 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: jayhwk01]
JHAWX75 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: 911's A Joke!
But yet you would be all for ARod joining the Royals. Sounds like you arent too worried about his payroll huh? Stop foolin yourself, if you had a owner who spent just a little money you would be all for paying a couple of superstars so the gate would be busy. Glad to see D.Moore step in and drop some loot. And not this again....You and this "greatest" SS topic! Is that the only thing you hang your hat on when on here? Where in the bluehell did I ever say he was the greatest ever? My front page on that was his leadership, expierence and how his offensive numbers compared to HOFers right now. You haterz spin that ball of yarn around pretty good dont you? And I dont have blinders on 01, cant even afford curtains. But I can hold a baseball conversation about baseball. How bout lets reflect back on Murders Row. Or maybe you just want to chime in on the poor poor Yankees of the 80's and early 90's. Maybe you just want to play a game of "lets count the rings", thats always fun! Or maybe we can play lets build the ALL Time Greatest Team and see how many pinstripes are are playin'. Bottom line is, I can play to any level you want. If you want to sit and cry about baseball's payroll and "woe is my team, waa waa waa" then I would love to needle you all day. But I prefer to talk about baseball the game!

#12136 - 04/06/07 08:28 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: jayhwk01]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

I'd say Jeter is the best offensive SS of his day, but no way defensivly, and no way the best all time.

#12137 - 04/06/07 09:12 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: jammahawk]
gquinn225 Offline
Prolly Thinks U Dumb

Loc: Mile High City
Quote:

I'd say Jeter is the best offensive SS of his day, but no way defensivly, and no way the best all time.

I just taggged this reply b/c it was shorter. He didn't reply to your other one did he? Or was it in the other post and I missed it?

#12138 - 04/06/07 11:01 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: JHAWX75]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

You are listeneing to the arguments, nobody is denying the fact that the Yankees are great, no can deny the fact that they are the most storied franchise ever. We're jealous.
Most of us hate the Yankees because they take advantage of the lousy way MLB runs it's business. I'd love it if the Glass family could keep pace with Steinbrenner, I wish everyone could. Fact is they can't. If they spent the way the Yankees did, they would lose money. Answer this question, Do you think Steinbrenner would spend like he does, if he lost money? Why do you expect the other owners to?
Hope you're enjoying Johnny Damon, you guys did a great job developing him. Wish he was still a Royal, even though he throws like a 12 year old girl.

#12139 - 04/06/07 11:41 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: jammahawk]
JHAWX75 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Looks like some people have suffered from a bad case of amnesia and tend to only focus on the moment. Your basically saying the Yankees have never developed players. Look up guys like Pettitte, Jeter, Williams, Rivera, Posada, Cano, Cabrera and even Soriano. Williams spent 6 years getting developed. Jeter 4. Rivera 5. Posada 5. Pettitte 4. This was the core that jump started the four titles in the mid 90's. But you probably wouldnt recognize those players cause that would be too much for most of you. I wish Soriano would of stayed and ARod never came. But then Cano may have never been to move up, so it worked out. I'm not a Damon fan. He could of stayed in KC for all I care. Or Boston. Or Oakland. But face it, even if NY grew their own players from the draft or signed someone from foreign soil all you would still waaa and moan!

#12140 - 04/06/07 12:55 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: JHAWX75]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

If I said the Yankees can never develope player, that would be wrong, they have. They have developed players that they have used their financial advantage to aquire. The players you gave as examples were, Cano, ARod, Rivera, Posada, Cabrera, Soriano, Williams, Jeter, Pettitte. Of those nine players only two were aquired through the amature draft. Had there been a world draft, you may not have had any of them. Cano, Rivera, Posada, Cabrera, Soriano, Williams, were all given million dollar bonuses. The Yankees can gamble on these 17 year old latins, if they flame out in the minors, no big deal, it was just Yankee chump change.
I'll give the Yankees credit for getting them major league ready, they do a good job in that area, but they do have an advantage in obtaining them.
Jeter and Pettitte were good amature draft picks, I have no complaint whatsoever with them. ARod, you know the story, wrote him a check, no developement skill there.
Just answer two questions for me;
1. Would Steinbrenner spend like he does if it meant he would lose money?
2. Would you be in favor of a world draft?

Edited by jammahawk (04/06/07 02:50 PM)

#12141 - 04/06/07 04:36 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: jammahawk]
JHAWX75 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Again, submit figures of these million dollar retainer fees they gave these individuals and how they outbidded every single team for their rights. How many Latin players are in the league? Out of all them total how many are superstars? Should these teams that scouted and signed these individuals(V. Guerrerro, Pujols, ManRam, Ortiz etc.) be scrutinized and hated cause they signed foreign players? Bottom line is foreign players are being signed every year. But because it's the Yankees people feel it's wrong. And just because you obtain a players rights doesnt mean he is gonna be a superstar. The kid still needs to prove himself in the minors. And remember, ARod made stops in Seattle and Texas before NY. Dont forget Texas made the lucrative contract that ARod gets criticized for. Matter of fact Texas will be payin part of that contract(around 8 million)for the next 3 years.

1. No owner is in this buisness to lose money. So no he wouldnt. But thats like sayin would Trump still be in Real-Estate if he was losin money. Fact is, he's not!

2. There will never be a world draft. No world draft! Get your scouts on the hustle and make your own trail. Plus, since it would be dificult to move up in the farm with a team like the Yankees, if a foreign kid was smart he would sign with a doormat team like the Royals, work his way up to the bigs and get noticed in free agency. He would be around 20-21 and ready to sign a huge deal with an elite team ready to pay him.

#12142 - 04/08/07 08:51 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: JHAWX75]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

The Royals and every other team do scout internationally, K.C. even scouts South Africa now. If there is talent on this earth, MLB will sniff it out.
Before I get started on signing bonuses paid out to foreign free agents, I want to stand corrected concerning Mariano Rivera. He was one of the many Latin players that received a small signing bonus and then made it big. I believe his bonus was between $2-$3000.
Some of this information is hard to come by, but I found a clearinghouse and found signing bonuses of some of the top Yankees prospects and a couple of players on the roster.
Jesus Montero, Venezula 2,000,000
Jose Tabata, Venezula 555,000
Juan Miranda, Cuba 500,000
Chien-Ming Wang, Taiwan 1,900,000
Kei Igawa, Japan 26,000,194 for negotiating rights

Now, can you honestly think, most teams can afford to get into that kind of a bidding war? Put them in the draft, and give everyone a shot.
You gave Pujols as a example, he was in fact in the amature draft. I believe he may have been a 13th round pick.

I'm glad to see you don't expect Steinbrenner to lose money, I don't understand why you're o.k. with owners losing money if they want to keep pace with his payroll.

Do you believe MLB system is better for competition than what the NFL and NBA has?

#12143 - 04/08/07 09:22 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: JHAWX75]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Quote:

But yet you would be all for ARod joining the Royals. Sounds like you arent too worried about his payroll huh? Stop foolin yourself, if you had a owner who spent just a little money you would be all for paying a couple of superstars so the gate would be busy. Glad to see D.Moore step in and drop some loot. And not this again....You and this "greatest" SS topic! Is that the only thing you hang your hat on when on here? Where in the bluehell did I ever say he was the greatest ever? My front page on that was his leadership, expierence and how his offensive numbers compared to HOFers right now. You haterz spin that ball of yarn around pretty good dont you? And I dont have blinders on 01, cant even afford curtains. But I can hold a baseball conversation about baseball. How bout lets reflect back on Murders Row. Or maybe you just want to chime in on the poor poor Yankees of the 80's and early 90's. Maybe you just want to play a game of "lets count the rings", thats always fun! Or maybe we can play lets build the ALL Time Greatest Team and see how many pinstripes are are playin'. Bottom line is, I can play to any level you want. If you want to sit and cry about baseball's payroll and "woe is my team, waa waa waa" then I would love to needle you all day. But I prefer to talk about baseball the game!

Dude you are hilarious. First of all I brought up the Jeter thing as sarcasm but I can talk any level of baseball you want as well. Lets not pretend you are the only baseball fan on here. I was probably watching baseball before you were a gleam in Mamma's eye so let's not get snippy. Now where did I say whoa is my team....yeah right never brought it up so let's keep the straw men in the closet. Seems to me the only one getting needled is you since all you do is see Yankee pinstripes everytime wants to talk about the Yankees in anything other than glowing terms. Face it some people right or wrong hate the Yankees and like it or not is one of the reasons the are so popular. Kind of like the Dallas Cowboys. Love them or hate them kind of thing. Now would I love Arod as a Royal sure I would. At least he would be playing SS and be back where he belongs....being the best SS in the game today. Frankly, I would like Jeter, Pettite, Arod, and company ALL to play for anybody BUT the Yankees. Now onto a real baseball discussion. Your Yankees look to be in real trouble just like their NL counterparts the Cardinals. Pitching, Pitching, and Pitching wins pennants and both teams at least early on look pretty shaky.

#12144 - 04/08/07 09:28 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: jammahawk]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Quote:

Jeter is nowhere near the best SS of his time. He is not event he best SS on his team. To find the best offensive SS look to Jeters right and see A-rod. Defensively, Omar V is heads and shoulder above A-rod or Jeter. What Jeter IS is a hard nose, gritty winner especially in the clutch. (Don't tell certain Yankees guys on here I said that...I have a rep to uphold regarding Jeter and the Yankees in general)

#12145 - 04/09/07 10:03 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: jayhwk01]
JHAWX75 Offline
Lawrence Legend

You beat the Jeter thing to the ground. Why, I have no idea! Only cause maybe you wanted to be part of the discussion and start out your chime wearing your emotions on your keyboard. It's cool though, knowing that the same guy you start out by bashing would be the same guy you would be rooting for if he was on your team. Catch 22 cause of the jersey? Wow! Again, never said Jeter was the greatest. You probably like Mark Teahan but god forbid if he signed with the Yankees as a FA in the future, what would you say then. Or Alex Gordon. Those two are a few years away from gettin' plucked by the Yanks!
Pitching has been suspect. Nothing I didnt figure in though. Igawa is overhyped. Fastball in the 80's. Breaking ball with no location. Runnung pitch counts to 2-0 way to many times. Recipe for destruction. Mussina got rocked. Pettitte didnt look the same. Pavano is unproven as a Yankee. Wait til my man Wang gets healthy, I know the Yanks cant. Sandman is still his usual badd self. But other than him , i'm not feelin this lineup of pitchers. Rocket will get madd dollars thrown at his cleats!

#12146 - 04/09/07 10:57 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: jammahawk]
JHAWX75 Offline
Lawrence Legend

My bad, you're right with A.P! Mo.

These players are treated as free agents v. draft prospects. As they should. No reason to change this game around and bring in hundreds of other players in a draft that already has a draft made up of a million rounds. I know the 2000's have been a downward spiral for the Yankee's and their spending. Wang looks like the only good option so far! Be on the look for Phillip Hughes, P. As for the rest of their prospects, it's anyones guess!

NFL and NBA have a better formula no doubt. I'm all for salary caps! Unfortunally it wont happen though.

#12147 - 04/09/07 12:43 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: JHAWX75]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Good luck with your Yankees, hopefully the Royals can eventually rekindle the rivalry.
You're right, things probably won't change, unless something very bad happens to the game, and who would want that.
I appreciate your passion for your team.

Edited by jammahawk (04/09/07 12:45 PM)

Page 17 of 24 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 23 24 >

Preview