Page 11 of 24 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 23 24 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#12043 - 11/16/06 10:27 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: jayhwk01]
JHAWX75 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: 911's A Joke!
Warmin our hands up in the Bronx.

Sheff was given his pardon and Wright was dealt to the Orioles. Got some young pitchers in return. Dont know much about any of them though. Re-signed Mussina. Still probably will scoop up another vet, Zito or maybe even Pettitte. A lefty would be good.

And what's with Boston tryin to be bigwigz and payin 51 million for a plane ticket to the states? That dude will sign for what, 3 years, topps? And get paid about 45 mill for those three. This guy better win them a title in those three years or they'll have more wasted money than my Yanks. And what up with not payin' Damon, Arroyo and Pedro and lettin them walk but goin all out for this dude? Like I said, if they win a ring then money well spent, but no ring and droppin 100 mill on some cat that might walk after around 3 years?

#12044 - 11/19/06 10:10 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: JHAWX75]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
They had to block the yankees. If Boston didn't spend the money, the yankees would have.

#12045 - 11/19/06 10:37 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: MICHHAWK]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Loc: Mt. Oread's Shadow
Yep, Yankees and Sox are everything that is wrong about baseball. That much for a player that has never seen the field in MLB. I think the fans owe Arod an apology because the real payrod just went to Boston.

#12046 - 11/21/06 01:19 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: jayhwk01]
JHAWX75 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Jeter got robbed

#12047 - 11/21/06 02:01 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: JHAWX75]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Jeter is overated. If he is not in NY is just another SS.

#12048 - 11/21/06 03:21 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: jayhwk01]
JHAWX75 Offline
Lawrence Legend

"Overrated." "Just another ss."

I can see your baseball knowledge is awfully shallow. Or your a Yankee hater. Whichever it is, I respect it.

Please, induldge me on why Jeter is overrated?

#12049 - 11/21/06 05:41 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: JHAWX75]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Jeter is not even the best SS on his team. It was travesty to move A-Rod to short but they had to because Jeter does not have the arm for the hot corner. Jeter is really good in the clutch but that has nothing to do with his position on the field. Honestly, when you look at his numbers compared to other SS his about middle of the pack. So much of his popularity is due to his pretty boy good looks and his NY market.

#12050 - 11/22/06 08:16 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: jayhwk01]
JHAWX75 Offline
Lawrence Legend

.317 career batting avg.
.388 ob%
2150 hits
3 gold gloves
4 rings

And a shortstop highlight reel from here to Haiti...

Not puttin a name with these numbers makes this overrated smack sound even more shallow. Admit it, you've hit rock bottom, your a Yankee hater.

Derek Jeter is the face of Major League Baseball

#12051 - 11/23/06 01:27 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: JHAWX75]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

I am a Yankee hater not doubt and no apologies but that has nothing to do with Jeter being overrted. I am nowhere near the only one that thinks it. Check out SI.com and search DJ. There actually is a whole article about who is overrted and he is number one on the list voted by.....his peers! Yes that is right fellow MLB players. Do you think Ernie Banks, Cal Ripken, or even A-rod got that from fellow players? I don't think so. And as far as stats go stack him up against the guys in the hall or even the top 5 stat guys currently and you see outside of BA he ranks pretty low. Now, do you think if he played for most anyone else without that line up he has those stats? No way and if you think he would you are fooling yourself. And one more think the face of MLB is one Albert Pujols.

#12052 - 11/29/06 05:48 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: jayhwk01]
JHAWX75 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Voting polls are overrated.

I suppose you think Russell Robinson is overrated also.

Jeter might not put up your HOF numbers and he might not even put up MVP numbers but his leadership, hardwork and championships are what set him apart.

And this overrated poll you speak of, dont let that be your crutch on grading Jeter.

Jeters 12 year career compared to Cal Ripkens first 12 arent that different.

Runs: Jeter 1277-------Ripken- 1043
Hits: 2150------- 1922
2b: 347-------- 369
3b: 50-------- 44(career)
rbi: 860-------- 1014
sb: 249-------- 36(career)

Fielding % .972 .977
Errors: 175 187

And again, is Russell overrated? He doesnt put up big numbers. But he is a LEADER. You say Jeter would be less with another team, how bout Russell? Your words are hypocritical to the stats, are they not? Maybe I should ask this, is Cal overrated? Through 12 years Jeter beats him in every stat but rbi's and doubles.

Heres another one also, 4 rings.

And please, Pujols is not the face of baseball. He may be one of the best, if not the best, but not the FACE of baseball.

#12053 - 12/01/06 01:23 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: JHAWX75]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

I love the stats but one catagory you keep leaving out...Home runs. Care to go there? Also, are you trying to tell me Jeter is more of leader than Cal? Talk about Yankee blinders. Say what you will about the poll but being voted most overrated by your peers does say a lot. And the four ring thing is a silly argument and in fact makes my point. HE IS A YANKEE which give him huge advantages. Seriously, is Jeter considered great if he plays for the Royals, Cubs, Marlins, ect? Is Jeter better or more of a leader than say Ernie Banks who has zero rings? Rings are an indicator of being on a good TEAM not being a great player. The list of HOF greats with a single ring or none is much longer than the host of average guys who playeed with the Yanks who have multiple rings....Tino Martinez for example. See my point about rings not being an indicator of personal greatness. Finally, if you think the home run guys are not the face of baseball you are kidding yourself. Remember the Mac, Bonds, and Sosa summers before the roid blowup? Was Jeter the fact of baseball then too? Now it's Albert, point being home runs are marketed and thats what sells tickets and video games. It is not the Jeters or David Ecksteins of the world who hit 10 home runs a year and play a solid SS. That is just the way it is. As far as RR goes no he does not score a lot of points but apples and oranges becuase it is a different game. That said RR CAN put up 20 pts if he has to but can Jeter hit 40 bombs or steal 40 bases if the Yankees need him to? No, because his game is what you see nothing more. A really good and consistant SS with a penchant for the clutch playing on the highest paid team in baseball and a line of guys 6 deep to hit him in and protect him in the lineup. Is he a HOF....yes. Is he one of the top 5 in the game right now....maybe. Is he one of the top 5 HOF SS...no way in hell.

#12054 - 12/01/06 10:20 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: jayhwk01]
JHAWX75 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Home runs? Thats it? Thats all you can come back with? How 'bout productivity. Baseball isnt all about the long ball, its more about productivity. When the HR isnt there how has the player been productive? And check when Jeter won his rings, 96,98,99,00. The Yanks didnt start their big spending spree until the '01 season. Role players and homegrown talent is what they won with then. Hate the Yanks cause of Steinnbrenner. Hate'em cause of their spending. Hate'em cause they are just the Yanks. But dont hate cause they win. They start out the year 0-0 just like everyone else. And yeah Jeter is great if he is playing for those teams, he would be on crappy teams, but still have the same stats, maybe better. And where does comparing Banks to Jeter matter? Ok then give me a Ernie Banks leadership moment. I can give you a fistfull of Jeter moments where leadership took place. And your rings analogy, sorry, but unfortunally ring or no ring is a big factor when sizing up your career. Baseball is more an individual sport than the other major sports.

My point to this whole thing was comparing Jeter to another HOFer who played his position. And through the first 12 years his stats are comparable, are they not? You bring up HR's but look at the areas where Jeter is more productive than Cal. 3b, sb(200 more than Cal and counting) and hits(another 200 more than Cal, thats a whole season more). And comparing RR to Jeter is in reference to being overrated cause your numbers.

Albert Pujols. That whiney lil beeyatch. He wins a WS ring and bitch and moans over AN INDIVIDUAL AWARD! Wow, amazing! I bet Ryan Howard would tade him rings in a second. You see, Jeter wouldnt bitch over stuff like that. Memo to Pujols: The award is chosen at the END OF THE REGULAR SEASON. Your team backed into the playoffs. No one on your team was worthy of squat at the end of the season. Howard single handily carried his squad to the end only to come up short. Quit bitchin' Albert and enjoy your TEAM ring. And nobody really knows Pujols. Sure we know him in a uniform but his marketing stinks. Sorry, but MLB wants a face that is marketable.....I give you Derek Jeter. And can you give me an update on your "HR guys" that were the face of baseball? That would be Mcgwire, Sosa and Bonds you spoke of. I wouldnt use Cal and their names in the same sentence.

And before you go start rah rah'n about overrated, you might check the HOF stats of ALL ss. Since you like to lean on HR's and offensive stats when you rate a player, Ernie beats him in HR's, only. And thats with a 20 year career. All across the board Jeter smashes Ernie through 12 years, even in fielding %. Phil Rizzuto? Shatters all his numbers through 12. Again, even in fielding %. Ozzie? Your a big numbers guy, Ozzie had a TOTAL of 28 hr's in his career. Yount? Again, Jeter has better projected stats, even in hits. I have broken Cal's stats down already. And you say he is overrated but you include him as a HOFer,and "maybe" being the top 5 in baseball right now. He is in the top 5 best shortstops EVER. Bottom line is your a hater when it comes to the Yankees.

#12055 - 12/01/06 12:12 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: JHAWX75]
hail2oldku Offline
Pure Jayhawk

I'll admit it.

I'm a hater when it comes to the Yankees.

I love every time they lose a game.

That doesn't mean I don't respect them though and what they are able to accomplish. I have a strong dislike for Jeter, but would love to see him playing for my team (Johnny Damon - he could disappear completely from the game as far as I'm concerned) and that goes for Bernie, and A-Rod as well.

I think you're correct that the hater often gets in the way of strong reasoning.

#12056 - 12/01/06 12:50 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: hail2oldku]
Ike Offline
Tigger Hater

Loc: Indiana
How can you hate the Yankees???????????

#12057 - 12/01/06 01:00 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: Ike]
hail2oldku Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Quote:

How can you hate the Yankees???????????

It's quite easy actually.

Kind of like Duke. You either love them or you hate them. No middle ground.

Me - I'm a hater.

Page 11 of 24 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 23 24 >

Preview