Page 3 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 23 24 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#11923 - 07/28/06 10:36 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: rockchalk2305]
JHAWX75 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: 911's A Joke!
Wondering.........How does a team accumulate hate from fans? Why do people hate the Yankees,Lakers,Duke and the Cowboys. Those are the teams that are the most hated in their respective sport by most fans. It just amazes me the reasons why fans hate certain teams. I'll tell you one thing though, hate him or not, owners are getting more and more like Steinbrenner every year in the sense that you have to give top dollar to a proven prospect. People might hate Steinny for whatever reasons but nowadays you have to open your wallet to keep your team intact. Look at the Mets. They opened the wallet and are spending big and its got them in the lead in their division. Same with the White Sox and the Red Sox. Houston paid Clemens to come back. Think of the Royals right now if they had JD,JD and CB 10 years into their careers? Would they be better? Bottom line is, find the guy you want to turn your fragile franchise into a foundation and pay him. When word is leaked that the team that drafted you does not spend money, then that kid will look elsewhere when deciding on his future.

#11924 - 07/28/06 10:48 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: JHAWX75]
tulsahawk13 Offline
Phog Fanatic

I also hate the Yankees, but their the only professional team I feel that way about. It's as much MLB's fault as anybody, but the lack of a salary cap is the biggest reason. Other owners are following suit and spending more, but Steinbrenner set the market so they have to pay more to compete. It's created a situation where about 6 teams are on the same playing field, and everybody else has to try and outsmart everybody.

I have no problem with the Lakers or Cowboys because they have the same financial rules as every other team in their league, so everybody's got a shot.

#11925 - 07/28/06 11:03 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: tulsahawk13]
JHAWX75 Offline
Lawrence Legend

What era did you hate? The Ruth,Dimaggio,Mantle Gehrig times or the Steinbrenner times? What was the reason for hating the Yankees in the 20's thru the 60's compared with hating them now? I think it's more about hating Steinbreener himself instead of the franchise.

#11926 - 07/28/06 11:30 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: JHAWX75]
tulsahawk13 Offline
Phog Fanatic

I'm 25 so there's no reason for me to hate old Yankee teams. Maybe it is a hatred of Steinbrenner, but he's the face of the franchise and the main reason for the financial disparity between teams so I'll go ahead and hate both of them. And for the record I have no jealousy or envy towards the Yankees or Steinbrenner, I'm just someone that used to love watching the game of baseball and hate the effect they've had on the game.

#11927 - 07/28/06 11:53 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: tulsahawk13]
JHAWX75 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Slightly, I can agree on the last part. Steinny has changed it some but I would direct you to the root of the problem back to Flood vs. Kuhn in 1970. That opened doors for guys today to be able to make all that jack.

I'm 24 and if your a baseball fan you atleast have heard of the yankees of the 20's thru 60's and what they meant to baseball. Nobody hated the Yankees til George took over and that was after the Flood debacle which opened doors to all players and free-agency.

I would say look at all rosters at this moment and see how many guys are still with the team that drafted them. Players move from team to team every year, but when the Yankees sign a free agent then all hell breaks loose and fans flood the lines on how evil they are, whereas a team like the Royals could sign the same player and be considered historic.

In the end it's the rings. Paople see how many the Yankees have and figure they dont need anymore so any transaction they do in the season will be considered "cheatin with money". I mean come on, Melky,Guill,Green,Phillips,Cairo and Wang, these are not the players being talked about during spring training yet these are the players holding this together. But no one will acknowledge that. Not for the poor Yankees.

#11928 - 07/28/06 12:14 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: JHAWX75]
tulsahawk13 Offline
Phog Fanatic

I'll acknowledge the fact that they're getting lucky as hell right now. Those players you named are guys any team could've gotten and they are holding the team together, but I wouldn't count on it lasting. Let's face it, there's a reason they were available.

I'll disagree with you about free agency, because every other pro league has it, yet there remains competitive balance. I do have a little hope that the luxury tax sharing will help out the situation, but without anything that resembles a salary cap I don't have much. The rings mean nothing to me... I root for a team that hasn't had anything good happen since Bo Jackson and George Brett walked away, but I know that if we ever get 1 (that I can actually remember), it'll be that much sweeter because of all the bad times we've had to suffer through.

#11929 - 07/28/06 02:09 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: tulsahawk13]
JHAWX75 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Lucky as hell? If it were the Royals you would be saying "Man, they are grinding it out." This is Joe Torre's best year of "coaching" and no one can own up to it and say it. But since its the Yankees then its "luck". Look, i'm a Saints fan in football so I know ALL about struggle and stayin the course with the team you root for. I'm also a Hornets fan in the NBA and know it quite well there also. I cant stand the Red Sox but can own up to the fact that they have a more superior team on paper than the Yankees, pitching and hitting. I think David Ortiz is the most dangerous hitter than Griffey JR. in his prime. Just because I hate a team doesnt make me lose sight of common sense. Like I said, if it were any other team people would say they are "grinders" and "how can they be doing this, this is epic" and stroke the coach off his rocker.

8 straight division titles in the toughest division in baseball. 4 world series rings since 1996. I can see where people would hate the Yankees. Thats why you dont get a traffic of fans hating on the Red Sox, cause they dont win consistantly. Their payroll is about 130 million and look at their roster, how many diferent players have they plucked from diferent teams? What one player is there that started out with them besides rookies and 2nd year players?

Money creates hatred. Winning creates hatred.

#11930 - 07/28/06 03:36 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: JHAWX75]
tulsahawk13 Offline
Phog Fanatic

If I'm an average gambler and went to Vegas and won big money at the craps table, does that mean I'm all of a sudden a great gambler? No... I'm the exact same as before, I just got lucky, and if I stay at the table and keep shooting, my luck will eventually run out.

Same thing with the Yankees this year. Torre has done a great job with the team, I'll be the first to admit that. But at the end of the day they're a lot of average ball players that'll come back to reality. No way they make the playoffs this year, unless they can grab Soriano, or maybe Abreu.

The six guys on this list are the reason that no one says "they're grinding it out" and they're probably the most hated on.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/specials/fortunate50/index.html

#11931 - 07/28/06 03:53 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: tulsahawk13]
JHAWX75 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Dont compare shooting dice or saying "hit me" to hitting 95 mph fastballs and making plays in the field. Trust me, you would have better luck if the dealer dealt you a ace to match your queen than getting a base hit against Papplebon in the bottom of the ninth. The #1 most dificult things to do in sports is hitting a baseball not drawin a Q on the flop. Drawin an ace for a blackjack is luck. Fillin in for Sheff,Damon or Matsui and being consistant is on another level. Bad example. And I never said they were great players NOR did I say they will carry this team. I said they are keeping this team together. And they are. Your talking about losing about 50 plus hr's to the day since Shef,Mats and Cano have been gone. Probably around a .300 avg. combined and around 120 rbi's also that the Yankees have missed out on. Then, the shallowminded baseball fan rebuttals with "luck" or "will come back to reality".

#11932 - 07/28/06 04:28 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: JHAWX75]
tulsahawk13 Offline
Phog Fanatic

Cairo's hitting .237, Phillips is hitting .245, Guiel is at .221, Green's going for .169... it is very clear to me that they're not caring this team, and keeping them together might be a stretch. Jeter, A-Rod, Giambi, Mussina, and Rivera would be the main reasons, and I don't think they've got enough help to make it to the playoffs. That's just my opinion, but I've been wrong before... I think it was back in 98'.

I've officially reached my limit for the year in talking about the Yanks, we'll see who was right come playoff time. Why didn't you join the KU fantasy baseball league 75?

#11933 - 07/28/06 05:14 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: tulsahawk13]
JHAWX75 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Right on tulsa! And I do follow the Royals and hope that their back on the map soon, I just get to ramblin' when I think about who they had at one time and where they are now.

Didnt know about the baseball fantasy. Would like someone to get a college basketball fantasy if possible. I posted that a few months ago on the bball board and crooner was gonna look into it. That would be major if we could get a college one started.

#11934 - 07/28/06 05:33 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: JHAWX75]
tulsahawk13 Offline
Phog Fanatic

Fantasy college basketball would be the ultimate... but it's going to be tough to get together. One of us would have to set up the web site and run it for free or the NCAA will probably track us down. I wish I knew the rules a little better.... like NCAA Football can replicate college atheletes and use their numbers, just can't use the names. I wonder if we could get away with something like that? I've obviously got a ton of down time at my job and that would be awesome to set something like that up and maybe make a little dough.

#11935 - 07/31/06 01:31 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: tulsahawk13]
JHAWX75 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Fit another all star up for his stripes. Bobby Abreau has just inked his name into history and has added his lumbar for support as the Yankees migrate towards another WS title. I think it was good money spent, but I was hoping CJ Henry would of stayed a Yankee, helluva SS and could've been a CF in the future.But, in the end, Yankees needed to fill an instant position,RF,for the final 2 months of the season. Sheff is out til the 1st of September at the soonest ans they needed instant offense and defense.

The Yanks do give up alot of prospects when signing these lumbarjacks like BA and usually its 4-5 prospects at a time. As long as it adds number 27 who cares. Live for the moment Steinny and let us spend your money.

#11936 - 08/02/06 08:38 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: JHAWX75]
JHAWX75 Offline
Lawrence Legend

The debut for Abreu.

0-3 with a walk. Scored a run on a bases loaded double by Bernie Williams. Forget Abreu for a second, what about Bernie Baseball. The man is 176 years old and didnt look like he would be coming back for another season. But the viejo from Puerto Rico keeps doing things only true yankees do, getting clutch hits.

Back to Abreu........

His presence in the lineup alone is major. BA makes pitchers exhaust alot of pitches, sometimes 9-10 pitches per at bat. Even if Abreu k's or gets out that's still only one out. Then the pitcher has to stare down a Giambi,ARod or Posada after workin like hell against BA the previous at bat.

Ironic that the 1st game Abreu plays catapults the Yanks back into 1st place, somewhere they havent been since around the middle of June.

The mystique of the '27 Yankees seems to be creeping back. Murderers Row has resurrected.

#11937 - 08/04/06 09:25 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: JHAWX75]
JHAWX75 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Well Well Well

Another win for the Bronx but a new day as division leaders.

Thats right, the boys of October are perched up where they routinly are and have a birds eye view of the rest of the league. Nobody wants beef right now. Not with the Yanks. Any manager that stares at the respective date when their ballclub has to walk on the same grass as the Bombers will relive the enviroment from One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest. Insane In The Membrane.

Page 3 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 23 24 >

Preview