Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 ... 23 24 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#11893 - 06/15/06 10:58 AM Yankees.
JHAWX75 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: 911's A Joke!
What a remarkable catch by 1b Andy Phillips. Playing Cleveland in New York, Phillips made a overthecape, leaping snag in the stands on the first base side. What a way to end the game.

And dont throw at a Yankee again when Randy Johnson is hurlin'. Randy busted an Indian in the "Thornton MELON" after Posada got one on the wrist earlier in the game. Got tossed, but thats baseball.

#11894 - 07/19/06 08:51 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: JHAWX75]
JHAWX75 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Yanks are are on a roll and Yankee haters of all shapes and sizes are quietly pullin their hair out. They wanted nothing more than to see the pinstripe wearin, 26 ring havin'team to be out of the race and 15 games back with all injuries they have had. Well, they aint. And if not for the pathetic Royals and their collapse the other night ago Yanks would be in first. 8 straight division titles. Not to mention the toughest division through all that. Who would of thought, an outfield that started the season Matsui,Sheff and Damon now is rollin with Guill. Melky. Crosby. Well, me. I would of thought. These are not your grandfathers Yankees kids. Even with Arod struggling Yanks are STILL the team to beat every year, no matter who was WS champ.

#11895 - 07/19/06 09:50 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: JHAWX75]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Loc: JRP lunchroom

True. The Yankees always have to be conisdered the team to beat in baseball. The biggest payroll demands that.

I hate to admit it, but when they swept the White Sox this week there was no luck involved. They just played great baseball. Still a long season.

Don't count out the AL Central. Nice little battle going on right now between the White Sox and Tigers. And the Twins are playing pretty good baseball right now. Stay tuned. A lot of baseball to be played.

That being said, there are two teams I always cheer against and the Yankees are at the top of the list. How can you pull for a team that's always on top?

#11896 - 07/19/06 11:02 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: chiknbut]
JHAWX75 Offline
Lawrence Legend

There is still about 70 plus games to play out and the AL East is gonna be tough to win. Detroit will be removed from 1st by the first of next week. Detroit will fade into a wild card race and eventually miss out on the playoffs. White Sox win the Central. Yanks and Red Sox get in. Not to sure on the West. Bottom line is can the Yanks keep this going into August and September? What happens when Sheff, Matsui and Cano make it back? Will Damon be healthy? Can ARod shake the mental slump?

#11897 - 07/19/06 11:50 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: JHAWX75]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

I'm not convinced the Tigers are going to fade. It's hard to call what they did in the first half a "fluke." Right now it looks like the Yankees are battling for the Wild Card. Like I said before, it wouldn't break my heart if they missed the playoffs again.

It seems the only team the Tigers can't beat consistently are the White Sox.

#11898 - 07/19/06 02:08 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: chiknbut]
KUColBond Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Westminster, CO
The royals did something similar a few years ago and totally lost it after the all-star break.

However, I don't see that happening to Detroit. I don't see them winning the division, but I bet they'll be in the playoffs.

#11899 - 07/19/06 02:58 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: KUColBond]
byteme Offline
Big Dipper

The Royals did that for one month a couple of years back and were barely holding on at the break. They have had one winning month in 10 years.

#11900 - 07/19/06 04:01 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: byteme]
stevemize Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: World Golf Village, FL
In 2003 the Royals were in the race for the Central until the final week or two of the season. They finished the season above .500. I'm fairly certain that they had a winning month or two in that season. I would gladly withdraw my statement if proven wrong.

#11901 - 07/19/06 05:11 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: stevemize]
byteme Offline
Big Dipper

Quote:

In 2003 the Royals were in the race for the Central until the final week or two of the season. They finished the season above .500. I'm fairly certain that they had a winning month or two in that season. I would gladly withdraw my statement if proven wrong.

My apologies. The Royals had three winning months in 2003 - April 17-7, June 15-12, July 15-11. The other three months of that season they were below .500. They finished the season 4 games over for the year, not exactly lighting the world on fire but for a Royals fan it's exciting. The Royals dropped out of first place on August 20th of that season and were in third place by the end of August. By mid-September they were eliminated by the Twins who beat them by 9 games in the standings. The only race they were in at the end of the season was to see if they could sneak past chikn's White Sox into second place and they failed at that dropping three of their last four games.

#11902 - 07/20/06 04:17 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: chiknbut]
JHAWX75 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Who are you refering to when you say "it wouldnt break your heart if they missed the playoffs again"?

#11903 - 07/20/06 09:11 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: JHAWX75]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

That would be the Yankees. To me it's just a more interesting playoffs without them.

But hey, what do I know. I'm a White Sox fan. And they're 1-5 since the all-star break.

#11904 - 07/21/06 09:02 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: stevemize]
byteme Offline
Big Dipper

No retraction yet stevie?

Yes you were correct that they had more than one winning month in '03, but it was far from the glorious run that Royals fans would like to remember it being.

The Tiger's on the other hand appear to be maintaining their pace. Don't get me wrong, I'm no Tiger's fan (at least not since Sparky Anderson retired), but there is no comparison between this team and the '03 Royals. These Tigers have the best record in baseball and the Sox are keeping it close by playing the second/third best in baseball (until recently anyway). The '03 Royals were taking advantage of a bad division when they jumped to a huge lead and held on as long as they could.

#11905 - 07/21/06 11:33 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: chiknbut]
JHAWX75 Offline
Lawrence Legend

I asked that cause you said "again" when referring to you not wanting the Yanks to make the playoffs. They've won 8 straight division titles and havent missed the playoffs since '95.

But, as much as I hate to say it, the team that is the scariest has to be Boston. Will be very difficult to defeat them in a 7 game series.

White Sox also. Good pitching, great defense and a ton of power. Wouldnt suprise me to see both in the ALCS.

#11906 - 07/22/06 08:14 PM Re: Yankees. [Re: byteme]
stevemize Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: World Golf Village, FL
Quote:

No retraction yet stevie?

Yes you were correct that they had more than one winning month in '03, but it was far from the glorious run that Royals fans would like to remember it being.

The Tiger's on the other hand appear to be maintaining their pace. Don't get me wrong, I'm no Tiger's fan (at least not since Sparky Anderson retired), but there is no comparison between this team and the '03 Royals. These Tigers have the best record in baseball and the Sox are keeping it close by playing the second/third best in baseball (until recently anyway). The '03 Royals were taking advantage of a bad division when they jumped to a huge lead and held on as long as they could.

OK, perhaps I overexaggerated how far they went before being eliminated. It seemed like the last couple of weeks from memory. But they did not finish 9 games out, it was 7.

2003 American League Previous Year / Next Year
East Division
Team W L WL% GB
NewYorkY NYY 101 61 .623 --
BostonRS BOS 95 67 .586 6.0
Toronto TOR 86 76 .531 15.0
Bltmore BAL 71 91 .438 30.0
TampaBay TBD 63 99 .389 38.0
Central Division
Team W L WL% GB
Minnesta MIN 90 72 .556 --
ChicagoW CHW 86 76 .531 4.0
KansasCy KCR 83 79 .512 7.0
Clvlnd CLE 68 94 .420 22.0
Detroit DET 43 119 .265 47.0
West Division
Team W L WL% GB
Oakland OAK 96 66 .593 --
Seattle SEA 93 69 .574 3.0
Anaheim ANA 77 85 .475 19.0
Texas TEX 71 91 .438 25.

#11907 - 07/24/06 08:13 AM Re: Yankees. [Re: stevemize]
byteme Offline
Big Dipper

Still no comparison to the Tigers who own baseball's best record to date v. the Royals who shot out of the gate and struggled the rest of the way.

Who knows, maybe Moore will be able to resurrect the decade of dominance from the mid-70's to the mid-80's and at the same time we'll see K-State football return to their place in the pecking order at the same time. The rise and fall did occur at approximately the same times.

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 ... 23 24 >

Preview