Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1143894 - 03/05/10 09:14 AM Re: Last KU game player threw a punch ***** [Re: KUHawkhead]
chalmers2wright Offline
Baby Jay

I had a peanut butter jar bite the dust during the KU-UCLA game in '07, I injured a table during this year's OSU game, and my favorite KU hate has taken rebeated beatings during games, not sure if anything was broken that night though, other than Miles' face.

#1143895 - 03/05/10 09:45 AM Re: Last KU game player threw a punch [Re: chalmers2wright]
xapaktep Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Ukraine
J.R. Giddens threw a punch ... then he got stuck ... it wasn't on the court though.

#1143896 - 03/05/10 09:49 AM Re: Last KU game player threw a punch [Re: xapaktep]
chalmers2wright Offline
Baby Jay

I heard he was just trying to warn the others at the bar about the dangers of alcoholism and was offering his services as a DD. The other patrons did not react well to his good-natured intentions and thus the fight ensued.

#1143897 - 03/05/10 09:50 AM Re: Last KU game player threw a punch [Re: KUHawkhead]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks everybody for answering my question. "And brother, they are really slugging in there." I guess games were more wide open in 1961. I liked the part when the players were still brawling and the band started playing the national anthem. Forgot how basketball players looked like they were playing in their underwear. What a trip. Those were the days.......

#1143898 - 03/05/10 03:47 PM Re: Last KU game player threw a punch
paducahawk Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Great Bend KS
My bad on the jump ball vs travel for Miles.

I think the call that upsets me the most is any jump ball or travel call when the coach of the "fouling" team is screaming for his players TO FOUL, and the ref calls it something else.

#1143899 - 03/05/10 07:02 PM Re: Last KU game player threw a punch [Re: paducahawk]
Hawks_And_Cats Offline
Suck it, Geezer

Loc: The Coolest Place on Earth
Didn't Ostertag get socked in the face by one of Washburn's players back in the day?

And I remember an exhibition game withsome type of semipro California team where the guy got kicked out for laying out Chenowith with an elbow to the jaw. If I remember correctly he was booted off the team for that too.

#1143900 - 03/05/10 07:18 PM Re: Last KU game player threw a punch [Re: Hawks_And_Cats]
swishymcjayhawk Offline
get off my lawn

Loc: KC, MO
Quote:

Didn't Ostertag get socked in the face by one of Washburn's players back in the day?

And I remember an exhibition game withsome type of semipro California team where the guy got kicked out for laying out Chenowith with an elbow to the jaw. If I remember correctly he was booted off the team for that too.

YES! I was at the Ostertag game. He ran by Clarence Tyson and intentionally elbowed him in the back of the head. Tyson then turned and responded with a right to the back of Ostertag's head.

#1143901 - 03/05/10 07:28 PM Re: Last KU game player threw a punch [Re: swishymcjayhawk]
Morgansraider Offline
Why...So...Serious????

I want to assure all the youngsters that the so-called "punch" that Manning threw against Colorado was a fiction created by the referees.

#1143902 - 03/05/10 07:30 PM Re: Last KU game player threw a punch [Re: Morgansraider]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I want to assure all the youngsters that the so-called "punch" that Manning threw against Colorado was a fiction created by the referees.

THANK YOU! Danny don't throw punches and coaches don't give tickets to bad girls.

#1143903 - 03/05/10 07:31 PM Re: Last KU game player threw a punch
Morgansraider Offline
Why...So...Serious????

Manning might have thrown punches and his poop might in fact stink, but he didn't throw one in that game. I remember it well.

#1143904 - 03/06/10 02:00 AM Re: Last KU game player threw a punch [Re: chalmers2wright]
jayhawkfan66720 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Chanute, Ks
Just saw the video of Miles getting mugged. STILL upsets me

#1143905 - 03/06/10 10:12 AM Re: Last KU game player threw a punch [Re: jayhawkfan66720]
Hawks_And_Cats Offline
Suck it, Geezer

Loc: The Coolest Place on Earth
Quote:

Just saw the video of Miles getting mugged. STILL upsets me

Hey. If you want to play in this league, you have to learn to take a punch or an elbow to the grill without shuffling your feet.

#1143906 - 03/06/10 11:02 AM Re: Last KU game player threw a punch [Re: kufan80]
KU62 Offline
Baby Jay

That '61 game in Columbia might have been the closest to mob violence I ever saw on a basketball court. KU's inside players (6'10" forward Wayne Hightower and 6'6" center Bill Bridges) were blatantly grabbed and held every time they got the ball. Bridges at 245# wasn't bothered much, but Hightower at 215# had his lowest point total of the year.

On the play that precipitated the melee, Hightower had a clear lane for a dunk when two MU players grabbed him - one on each arm - and held on for a good 2 or 3 seconds while Wayne stared at the official on the base line. Finally, he jerked one arm free and his roundhouse forearm to the side of the head decked the other player.

Not only the benches but several rows of spectators charged onto the floor. I don't remember the sobriquet 'antlers' in those days, but the same retrograde mentality. Bridges calmly met that phalanx and literally started tossing them back into the stands one at a time. At least two of them landed a couple of rows up.

By the time officials and ushers (security?) got on the scene, the KU team was on the free throw circle, all facing outward, while Bridges patrolled the perimeter. Incredibly, only Hightower was ejected.

#1143907 - 03/06/10 11:28 AM Re: Last KU game player threw a punch [Re: KU62]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Who won that game, KU62?

#1143908 - 03/06/10 12:00 PM Re: Last KU game player threw a punch
KU62 Offline
Baby Jay

I'd have to look it up to be sure. Dick Harp was not the greatest at inspiring his teams through adversity . . . marvelous X&O coach.

OK -- the shameful result was 79-76, tigers.

There was a tie for Big 8 that year, and since conference only got one NCAA entry, a playoff for that (KU-KSU in Ahearn). Similar front-court tactics until 3rd qtr when Bridges got fed up with over-the-back non-calls and began to "clear the lane" by grabbing a rebound and "sweeping" opponents away with the ball as his broom -- no side-to-side or elbows, just took the ball in a circle, to knee level and over the head twice, then passed the ball down court while Wildcats got back to their feet. That team lost to "Big-O" and Cincy in Regional Final.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Preview