Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1128455 - 02/20/10 08:50 AM The difference b/ playing L & R field
Shirley Offline
Pelvic Missionary

You needn't be a fan of David DeJesus or even the KC Royals to (potentially) find this article interesting. He's being moved from L to R field this year, and the article goes into (among other things) how the types of balls you're called upon to handle at each postion differ, depending on whether the batter is L or R handed.

Kuntz contends DeJesus possesses sufficient quickness to charge the ball in a manner required of right fielders. Being a left-handed thrower means DeJesus will routinely be better positioned to make throws to second and third.

Kuntz argues right fielders face fewer tough-read plays than left fielders.

“Typically, right-handed batters are high-ball hitters,” he said. “Lefties like the ball low. Righties like the ball up. When right-handers get on top of the ball, you get those snap..."

<snip>

#1128456 - 02/20/10 09:12 AM Re: The difference b/ playing L & R field [Re: Shirley]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: In the Corleone compound
I think DeJesus will be able to field the position fine, but I highly question his ability to keep players from advancing from first to third with ease. Dejesus has a flipper limb for a throwing arm, maybe slightly better than Johnny Damon's.

#1128457 - 02/20/10 01:47 PM Re: The difference b/ playing L & R field [Re: Shirley]
miltnewton21 Offline
Baby Jay

Quote:

A quick call to outfield instructor Rusty Kuntz helped ease his concerns.

No way.

#1128458 - 02/21/10 09:14 AM Re: The difference b/ playing L & R field [Re: miltnewton21]
gquinn225 Offline
Prolly Thinks U Dumb

Loc: Mile High City
Quote:

Quote:

A quick call to outfield instructor Rusty Kuntz helped ease his concerns.

No way.

Preview