Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111220 - 03/25/07 09:12 AM Coaching Adjustments?
JJEagleHawk Offline
Baby Jay

Everyone out there is wondering why Self didn't make any adjustments at halftime.

First of all, we're assuming he didn't make any changes.

Secondly, we're assuming that he NEEDED TO!

On defense, maybe they have a point, but on offense, the role of the coach is to have a strategy that nets you open looks, uncontested looks, and high-percentage looks to ensure you score often.

Self, last night, was playing the percentages -- drive the lanes, get open looks. UCLA's defense prevented us from getting too many UNCONTESTED LOOKS, but we had a lot of layups/dunks and missed them. The uncontested looks we DID get came from the stripe, and as per usual, didn't knock enough of them down.

Why would Self change strategies? IF you can't hit a layup or an uncontested free-throw, why move back to jumpers? Or to three-pointers?

Fact is, Self's gameplan was probably correct, and it was effective. Our players just weren't in executing the game plan. So how is that self's fault?

What adjustments COULD he have made that would have netted us better shots or better looks than ones from 3'?

#111221 - 03/25/07 10:40 AM Re: Coaching Adjustments? [Re: JJEagleHawk]
gohawksgo Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

There are several things he could have emphasized during timeouts and halftime. A great deal of coaching is being able to adjust when your initial gameplan isn't getting it done (for ANY reason- excellent defense, poor shooting, whatever.) Here are just a few that I saw...

1) Julian, stop dribbling the ball when you catch it in the paint. You're not a point guard, we don't need you to make a highlight reel pass.

This yielded a turnover nearly every time it happened. Now I'm sure Self has said this many times, but when he doesn't listen and starts to become a liability, sit him on the bench.

2) Because we were a little tense and our inside game was not translating to points, instead of throwing up a floater from 5 feet, dribble penetrate and kick out to the wing for a jumper. Stop trying to split defenders off the dribble, because it's not working- resulted in a steal several times.

We were shooting better from 15 feet than we were from 5. When it became apparent that the layups weren't falling, why not try something else? Nearly every time we tried to dribble penetrate, it was "put your head down, fly into the lane and miss a layup." Rarely did I see a kick out to the wing once the defense collapsed. Would it have worked? I guess we'll never know because we never tried. Couldn't have been much worse.

3) Let's switch it up and run something other than ball screens. I know this isn't the only offensive set we have in our book, so let's try something different!

Did anyone else notice that the same thing happened nearly every posession in the last 10 minutes of the game? The screen was set, they switched, and the defender at the top of the key stepped out to trap, causing the ball handler to turn around, or if he stepped out over the trap, it was too late and the defense had already adjusted. 12-15 seconds completely wasted. If anyone recorded the game, watch and count how many of our late offensive possessions were that exactly.

4) Say whatever you've got to say to get these guys' nerves under control. The truly great coaches are not only excellent recruiters, or X and O masterminds- they're leaders of men (and women.) They are people managers. They know how to get inside their players' heads. Obviously you're not the one out there missing layups or freethrows, what have you- but you do have a very important role. Our guys' attitudes did not seem to fluctuate the entire game. It was initially frustration, then with about 10 minutes left in the second half, doom and gloom set in. They didn't really seem poised to make a run. They gave up.

I would never go so far as to say Self "lost the game" for us. However, to completely discount Self's role is a mistake. If you truly believe that a coach's job is to simply come up with one game plan, and then whether or not it works (and by "works" I mean translates to winning a basketball game,) just keep plugging away, not changing a thing, and that no adjustments were possible or even necessary...then yes, Self had a Hall of Fame night.

#111222 - 03/25/07 10:54 AM Re: Coaching Adjustments? [Re: JJEagleHawk]
T_H_E Offline
Baby Jay

Genius !!!

We shot too many 2-3 footers.
Should have passed it out for guarded 20+ footers.

Could you take over for Jank?

#111223 - 03/25/07 10:58 AM Re: Coaching Adjustments? [Re: T_H_E]
gohawksgo Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Get a clue buddy. When something isn't working, you switch it up. Or are you suggesting we're so bad that we only have one method, and if that isn't working we just say "oh well" cross our fingers, and keep trying? Have you ever played the game or coached?

#111224 - 03/25/07 11:05 AM Re: Coaching Adjustments? [Re: gohawksgo]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby
Congrats Go.
15 posts and landing on my ignore list is a new record.

#111225 - 03/25/07 11:09 AM Re: Coaching Adjustments? [Re: Geezer]
gohawksgo Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Why would you tell me are ignoring me? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?

#111226 - 03/25/07 11:10 AM Re: Coaching Adjustments? [Re: T_H_E]
JJEagleHawk Offline
Baby Jay

Quote:

Genius !!!

We shot too many 2-3 footers.
Should have passed it out for guarded 20+ footers.

Could you take over for Jank?

LOL. My point exactly -- if we can't hit the bunnies, then that's concentration/execution by the players. Kicking it out for a 20' when you can't hit a layup . . . and blaming the coach for not switching to said strategy . . . is asinine.

#111227 - 03/25/07 11:14 AM Re: Coaching Adjustments? [Re: JJEagleHawk]
gohawksgo Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Well, the thing is JJEagleHawk, if you watch the film, review the stats, you'll see that we were hitting 20 footers at a higher percentage than we were "bunnies."

Again, if you truly think that a coach's job is to come up with one gameplan, and regardless of how it translates in practice, you do not or cannot make any changes in strategy, then yes...you're right on Self was a regular Phil Jackson out there.

#111228 - 03/25/07 11:25 AM Re: Coaching Adjustments? [Re: gohawksgo]
JJEagleHawk Offline
Baby Jay

We hit those 20' early in the game, when we were also hitting the closer ones.

Our shooting percentage declined OVERALL from everywhere as the game progressed.

We were 2 for 2 on 3's at one point because we only took the open ones -- there weren't many.

But later in the game we went, what, 1 for 5? That leads me to believe those shots weren't really open, and were taken out of necessity.

If you can't hit layups, can you reasonably expect to make the jumpers? Probably not.

Am I saying that Bill couldn't or shouldn't have made adjustments? Sure -- bench Julian because he's trying to be a guard. Bench Chalmers because he's turning the ball over way too much.

But to say the dribble penetration strategy didn't work is ludicrous. It DID work -- the execution didn't. Self's job is to get us high percentage looks. His game plan did, all the way to the end.

#111229 - 03/25/07 11:57 AM Re: Coaching Adjustments? [Re: gohawksgo]
T_H_E Offline
Baby Jay

-couldn't reverse the ball...bruins covered the weak side perimeter

-couldn't run ball screens...bruins trapped & rotated

-couldn't get ball down low...too much pressure on guards

*COULD drive ball to basket

Oh, and with all that film breakdown you did, did you notice
that our 2 threeballs were from RR,
the guy UCLA left open ... on purpose?

Think RR can 3ball us to the FF?

Back to the CYO leagues, "Coach".

#111230 - 03/25/07 12:31 PM Re: Coaching Adjustments? [Re: T_H_E]
gohawksgo Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

We'd have stood a better chance letting Robinson "3ball" us to the Final Four than continuing to hack away. Just based on your superficial analysis, you've clearly never played basketball, let alone coached.

#111231 - 03/25/07 12:56 PM Re: Coaching Adjustments? [Re: gohawksgo]
T_H_E Offline
Baby Jay

Just keeping things on your level, Coach.

#111232 - 03/25/07 01:03 PM Re: Coaching Adjustments? [Re: T_H_E]
jkjhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Lawrence, KS
People, you can't draw it up better than to have layups all night. You can't ask for a better shot. Watch any other team still playing, and you'll see it's all about getting to the rim and finishing in crunch time. We got to the rim, didn't finish. It happened all year, actually.

Now the players have something to focus on this summer... finishing.

#111233 - 03/25/07 01:08 PM Re: Coaching Adjustments? [Re: jkjhawk]
KSJhawk21 Offline
Prairie Warrior

Did any of you actually watch the game? UCLA choked off the perimeter all day. I count only 3 maybe 4 open shots all day.

KU got what they needed but for some reason they just couldn't hit the easy ones.

Plus you have no idea what their gameplan was or what was said in their huddles.

#111234 - 03/25/07 01:11 PM Re: Coaching Adjustments? [Re: jkjhawk]
Sparko Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: NJ
Actually, I didn't see many open lay-ups. There were a few that were missed. Mostly I saw Kansas forcing the shots early in the shot clock. They were matching up and doubling down low, so someone was open. Sherron should have replaced RR and shots threes. That would have forced the issue. Instead, Sherron drove the lane, lost control or was stuffed. Every time. The game plan was horrid and patch-work. We needed fresher legs in there. Kansas won its last national title because Brown substituted liberally. Self did not. Whacked out tired guys. Jackson and Collins needed more PT, and Case and Morningstar should have played some minutes at the least.

Anyway, I hated the venue, the pairings, and the network.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview