Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#11086 - 04/27/06 09:59 AM Re: out of pity for the women's board [Re: jayhawk154]
hilly Offline
Baby Jay

But that's what I'm saying, it's not as rare as you'd like to think. Go to a high school today and watch some of the girl's practices, and you'd be surprised.

And I realized that it's not an attack on females or anything of the sort... I'm just pointing out that from my entire athletic experience, and seeing how my male team members acted versus my female team members, that there are quite a few girls that participated like boys and vice versa. I admit there is a general difference in approach by the sexes... I just believe that, for the most part, its more of an individual thing.

#11087 - 04/27/06 10:40 PM Re: out of pity for the women's board [Re: hilly]
jayhawk154 Offline
Max Falkenstein

But that's what I'm saying, it's not as rare as you'd like to think. Go to a high school today and watch some of the girl's practices, and you'd be surprised.

You think I have a preference or pre-determined outcome I'd like to see? I am the father of three girls, hilly. I see plenty of this firsthand and, like MICH, have to deal with these issues daily.

#11088 - 04/28/06 01:05 PM Re: out of pity for the women's board [Re: jayhawk154]
hilly Offline
Baby Jay

I didn't say that. Nor did I even mean it. I think you're over thinking my statements. I never questioned your experience, only offered my own opinion based on my own experiences.

#11089 - 04/29/06 07:38 PM Re: oh this is just silly... [Re: tmcats]
jaihaux Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Overlook Hotel
Quote:

ksu wbb is just as popular across this state as any men's team including the kwho squad. get over yourselves and your 1950's mentality. this is the 21st century. chamberlain is dead.

TM, I used to think you were a smart, intelligent person. After that post, I have to say I'm wrong.

Do the KSU women sell out every game and get 15,000 people for exhibition games against in-state, Division II schools?

Do the KSU women play on TV every game to meet the demand of the fans around the state?

Do the KSU women have fans who drive 12 hours round trip for a weeknight game? I have a friend who does 2-3 times a year for the KU men.

Be realistic TM. I live in central Kansas. I have seen and met several KSU and future KSU players including Shalee Lehning, Marlies Gipson and Ashley Sweat. Good players, good girls. It's easy to understand why they are popular. HCDP has done a fabulous job getting the small-town Kansans and using them to popularize KSU women's basketball.

But ask 100 random Kansans the following questions:

1. Would you rather watch the KU men on TV against a small D-I team or would you rather watch the KSU women play Colorado on TV?

2. Would you rather attend a KU vs. Northern Colorado game at Allen Fieldhouse or a KSU women's game against Texas Tech at Bramlage?

I'd say at least 85 would take KU in both instances.

#11090 - 04/30/06 05:27 PM Re: oh this is just silly... [Re: jaihaux]
heycobo Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Lawrence
yeah, even i have to agree that is a ridiculous statement. ku basketball has an enormous following, enormous. k-state wbb has been a quasi big deal if that for the last 2 or 3 years. get real.

#11091 - 04/30/06 10:01 PM Re: oh this is just silly... [Re: heycobo]
hawk61 Offline
Max Falkenstein

Loc: somewhere watching a KU game
Comparing KU Men's Hoops to KSU Women's Hoops is like comparing the Joker to our Batman.

#11092 - 05/23/06 03:09 PM Re: oh this is just silly... [Re: hawk61]
Hawks_And_Cats Offline
Suck it, Geezer

Loc: The Coolest Place on Earth
Ok I'll try and help revive this post.

I think a big majority of the problem is the women don't support women's basketball. There are by far a larger number of women who are fans of men's college basketball than women's.

Ladies, you have to start supporting each other. Once you get a solid female fan base, the men will then follow.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Preview