Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110436 - 03/24/07 09:13 PM Too much penetration, not enough common sense
Sparko Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: NJ
One knock on Kansas' game plan: The Jayhawks thought they could penetrate and score. This was a bad scouting job, whoever put the plan together. UCLA is quick, not big, and also played a pack-in zone that clogged the middle. Even when the guards penetrated, they had contested shots. Continuing down that path cost Kansas the game. Already tired from a death match with SIU, Kansas wore itself out for marginal quality "bunnies." A contested shot after penetrating the lane is a lower quality shot that a perimeter jumper. A perimeter jumper also burns a lot less energy. Kansas was gassed with nothing left in the tank after that last very lucky three by Collison. Even the defense suffered from fatigue tonight. On the road, you have to play almost perfect ball to beat an elite team. Just wasn't there.

GREAT season though! There were many, many highlights, and this was one of the best Kansas teams ever. Everything has to break just right in the tournie, and on selection Sunday, staring at SIU and UCLA (in California!) most of us knew this would be a huge test. Great effort though. There was no quit in Kansas. I did think the refs missed a couple of fouls late when UCLA was grabbing and pushing drivers (to much effect)--but this only made the margin of victory much higher for UCLA.

I am actually a little sorry for UCLA--all the home courts the past two weeks puts a big asterisk on them. But big ratings for CBS--darn the luck.

Really, Kansas was the best team left, though, and UCLA should be able to close this out.

#110437 - 03/24/07 09:14 PM Re: Too much penetration, not enough common sense [Re: Sparko]
SNOWMAN Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: IceWorm
Our loss shows UCLAs weakness is outside shots and full court pressing

#110438 - 03/24/07 09:15 PM Re: Too much penetration, not enough common sense [Re: SNOWMAN]
ixamnis Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: Great Bend, KS
My wife was just complaining to me about the same two things.

#110439 - 03/24/07 09:18 PM Re: Too much penetration, not enough common sense [Re: ixamnis]
elvis151 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Kansas
The penetration worked most of the time. UCLA could not keep us out of the middle. The problem was that we did not finish, missing 20 layups. We make those like we usually do, and we win by 10-15. KU's gane plan was great; the players just committed too many unforced TO's and for whatever reason could not finish their bunnies tonight........

#110440 - 03/24/07 09:18 PM Re: Too much penetration, not enough common sense [Re: ixamnis]
SNOWMAN Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: IceWorm
Quote:

Good thing you married HER!

#110441 - 03/24/07 09:21 PM Re: Too much penetration, not enough common sense [Re: Sparko]
gatorhawk Offline
Sheldon Cooper

Maybe we could try something differen't at some point? Nahh!! Lets just keep doing whats losing.

#110442 - 03/24/07 09:21 PM Re: Too much penetration, not enough common sense [Re: elvis151]
Sparko Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: NJ
The unforced errors came after forcing the middle at least 12-15 times. Early on you could see that the SIU game had taken Kansas' legs. That is my biggest complaint--there was no gas left to try the penetration. The lay-ups were not missed on five days rest at Allen Field House--they were the result of fatigue, big game pressure and road atmosphere. Kansas was forcing things inside and it cost us--misses, turn-overs, and legs. How many of those "lay-ups" were uncontested?

#110443 - 03/24/07 09:23 PM Re: Too much penetration, not enough common sense [Re: SNOWMAN]
ixamnis Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: Great Bend, KS
Quote:

Quote:

Good thing you married HER!

Okay, I was just kidding about the common sense part.

#110444 - 03/24/07 09:25 PM Re: Too much penetration, not enough common sense [Re: gatorhawk]
copperhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

The definition of insanity is repeating the same failure and thinking it will be different the next time.
What were the guys doing down by ten with 20 seconds to go dribbling into triple teaming?
Great year, great team - but a very bad time to offer this gobbler.

#110445 - 03/24/07 09:32 PM Re: Too much penetration, not enough common sense [Re: SNOWMAN]
HawkInDaHaus89 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Colorado
we got inside points early but when you don't balance it with points outside the perimeter you go into a one dimensional offense. UCLA did not respect us outside and packed it in during the second half.

#110446 - 03/24/07 09:32 PM Re: Too much penetration, not enough common sense [Re: HawkInDaHaus89]
HawkInDaHaus89 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Colorado
game over

#110447 - 03/24/07 10:01 PM Re: Too much penetration, not enough common sense [Re: copperhead]
jhawkpassion Offline
Baby Jay

I am so frustrated & puzzled that Self did not call for some perimeter shots in the last 5 minutes. Self could not be responsible for all our missed uncontested layups, but if things aren't working pounding it inside, why not change strategy???
Our shooting percentage from outside was probably double our percentage in the paint, so why not take more 3s? We only shot 5 or 6 & made 3 of them. We won the league taking a lot more 3s than that. It just seemed so obvious.

Preview