Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#11071 - 04/25/06 04:38 PM Re: oh this is just silly... [Re: hawk61]
kansasnation Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Quote:

Would people quit running down the KU women?

What are you talking about 61? I haven't made a single negative post regarding KU women's team. I'm just trying to illustrate to tmcats that KSU WBB is not the most popular basketball program in the state as he claims.

#11072 - 04/25/06 04:41 PM Re: oh this is just silly... [Re: kansasnation]
hawk61 Offline
Max Falkenstein

Loc: somewhere watching a KU game
My baaaaaaaaaddddddddddd Nation....wasn't really talkin @ you.

#11073 - 04/25/06 04:41 PM Re: oh this is just silly... [Re: hawk61]
jayhawk154 Offline
Max Falkenstein

I'm with 'nation on this one, '61. This isn't about our women's team, but about women's basketball overall. It's impossible to argue that it's as popular as the men's game and when MICH gave a legitimate reason for that, tmcats jumped all over him.

#11074 - 04/25/06 04:43 PM Re: oh this is just silly... [Re: jayhawk154]
hawk61 Offline
Max Falkenstein

I agree with that...I have 2 girls and the only sport they were "nuts" about was softball. As stated above it was my bad!!

#11075 - 04/25/06 04:46 PM Re: oh this is just silly... [Re: hawk61]
jayhawk154 Offline
Max Falkenstein

Coolio...didn't see your reply as I was probably typing mine at the same time.

#11076 - 04/25/06 05:01 PM Re: oh this is just silly... [Re: jayhawk154]
the_crark Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: the Larry
tmcats are you a woman?

This has to be why you enjoy womens basketball so much.
I can't think of any other reason why you enjoy layups and non-jumping jump shots.

#11077 - 04/25/06 05:04 PM go to a game, crark... [Re: the_crark]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
your ignorance is too obvious.

#11078 - 04/25/06 05:23 PM Re: oh this is just silly... [Re: the_crark]
bpritchett Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Exile
Quote:

tmcats are you a woman?

This has to be why you enjoy womens basketball so much.
I can't think of any other reason why you enjoy layups and non-jumping jump shots.

Sorry, but that's stupid. That is running down the KU women's team and every other women's team and everybody who has a daughter or sister or niece or mother who played the game.

I've bit my tongue so far because of the identity of the person keeping this thread going, but I can't resist any longer if the KU fans are going to be stupid, too. Just because women have different values and get different rewards (team achievement over personal achievement) than their brothers doesn't mean female athletes aren't "serious" or "dedicated" or "committed" or any other such word.

If instead Mich meant that it's mostly men who WATCH sports, that most non-participant women don't put a priority on WATCHING sports, that most men don't enjoy watching women's sports unless they know someone playing or are exposing their female relatives to the game, if he in fact meant women's sports aren't as "popular", then he's got an arguable point. Sorry tmcats. But women athletes "getting serious" won't make one whit of difference to making it more popular.

#11079 - 04/25/06 05:43 PM Re: oh this is just silly... [Re: bpritchett]
the_crark Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: the Larry
"Sorry, but that's stupid. That is running down the KU women's team and every other women's team and everybody who has a daughter or sister or niece or mother who played the game."

Listen to you guys. Nancies.
Womens bball is a joke.
Mens volleyball is a joke.

I do go to games and i root for our girls.
If i had to pay for tickets no I would not show.
Me and the majority of the nation would rather watch the second round of the NIT than watch any girls game.

Defend it all you want.

#11080 - 04/25/06 11:43 PM Re: out of pity for the women's board [Re: MICHHAWK]
hilly Offline
Baby Jay

Not to get off topic, because I see this thread is going in a different direction but I just wanted to point something out...

Quote:

I have a fair bit of experience coaching girls COMPETITIVE youth athletics. I have been the coach of a girls SELECT TRAVEL SOCCER TEAM for the past 6 seasons. We are currently
a u-14 team. We compete in the 1st division(which means we are pretty good). I have taken multiple training classes that were specific to coaching girls. One of the first things they said in each and every class was that you CANNOT approach teaching girls the same way you would the boys. I can tell you that they are 100% spot on with that statement.

The girls do not approach their athletics the same way boys do. The girls parents do not approach their daughters athletics the same way they would their sons. That can be extremely frustrating.

I'm going to ignore the rest of your post, because I just really only wanted to say something about this part.

You CAN coach boys and girl's the same way. I spent 4 years in high school on the boy's wrestling team, and fared just fine, if not better then some of my male teammates. Also, my family approached my sport just like my team mates parents.

It's not always a matter of gender, sometimes it's the coach, or maybe even just the sport. Not to say that you're a bad coach, because I've never seen you, but to say that you have to coach females completely differently is incorrect.

#11081 - 04/26/06 07:06 AM Re: out of pity for the women's board [Re: hilly]
jayhawk154 Offline
Max Falkenstein

I've got to call shenanigans on this one. First, nobody said "completely different". Second, it's widely acknowledged in national coaching clinics, educational circles and most scientific studies that girls learn and participate differently than boys. That's not one guy's opinion.

#11082 - 04/26/06 09:05 AM Re: out of pity for the women's board [Re: jayhawk154]
hawk61 Offline
Max Falkenstein

When I posted JBo's BB camps last summer he decided to do both boys and girls camps. He told me thru a email that the little girls did not want to listen at all and not interested @ all.

#11083 - 04/27/06 02:35 AM Re: out of pity for the women's board [Re: jayhawk154]
hilly Offline
Baby Jay

All I said was that not all girls participate a certain way. I didn't deny that weren't some like that. I just stated that it was possible.

#11084 - 04/27/06 07:38 AM Re: out of pity for the women's board [Re: hilly]
jayhawk154 Offline
Max Falkenstein

Just because it "can" be done (in rare instances) doesn't mean it's the norm. In fact, the issues MICH laid out are far more common than exceptions to the rules where girls learn/participate exactly like boys.

This is hardly a slam on girls, either. The issue is most commonly described to coaches as being one (paraphrase alert) where girls must understand WHY they are doing something (drills, practicing specific skills, etc) before they will fully engage. Boys, in their own mindless way, will not hesitate to run down and touch the end line and run back without giving two flips as to the 'why'.

#11085 - 04/27/06 08:13 AM Re: out of pity for the women's board [Re: jayhawk154]
bpritchett Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Exile
This is a little off topic, but some time ago they showed a documentary on public tv about an African American male coach of a girls high school basketball team in Arizona. The athletes were mostly Navajo raised on the Navajo reservation.

The real story was how the coach and the girls learned to navigate their cultural and gender differences. Everybody wanted the same thing -- to win and to be respected -- it just took a while to get there, which made for compelling television. One of things that made a difference was that one of the assistant coaches was a Navajo woman and she made it her business to "interpret" between the girls and the coach. The team ended up being very successful.

It rivals Hoosiers as a great high school David and Goliath basketball movie.

If I can find the name of the movie, I will post it.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Preview