Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1081465 - 01/12/10 03:08 PM My Fault or Bad Business? *
pwhittemore Offline
Satellite Coords Mod

Loc: NYC
I made reservations for a restaurant, LaGrenouille, for New Years Eve. Signed a contract--should have read the print better. Said to cancel, I had to fax them a cancellation form. Instead, I called them to cancel. They sounded upset and said that they may have to charge me. I said I wouldn't pay and that I was canceling and he said do what you have to do and hung up.

Find out later they charged me. Now I'm out a good amount of money for food I didn't eat. Called the manager and he was dick and a half. Said if I booked tickets to see a play, and I didn't go, I would still have to pay. I told him that it's not the same--they didn't have to spend any time making my food or serving it to me. I asked if I could just use the money towards his establishment at another time. Wouldn't hear of it.

Took it up with the credit card company but they can't do anything because of the contract.

What would you do? Just bite the bullet?

#1081466 - 01/12/10 03:19 PM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: pwhittemore]
digitalkookie Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: ATX
i would have faxed them my cancellation...

#1081467 - 01/12/10 03:25 PM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: digitalkookie]
pwhittemore Offline
Satellite Coords Mod

Yea, I don't own a fax machine. I'm all interwebs. Scan it. Send it via email.
I didn't read that part which is def. my mistake.

#1081468 - 01/12/10 03:25 PM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: pwhittemore]
Hawkish Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Kansas
Sorry, your fault. They gave you an out.

#1081469 - 01/12/10 03:32 PM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: Hawkish]
AdonisJordan Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Lawrence
Even though it's your fault, call again and again until they drop it. Trust me, annoyance can be a good thing.

#1081470 - 01/12/10 03:34 PM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: pwhittemore]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby

Make them an offer they can't refuse.

#1081471 - 01/12/10 03:38 PM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: AdonisJordan]
pwhittemore Offline
Satellite Coords Mod

Quote:

Even though it's your fault, call again and again until they drop it. Trust me, annoyance can be a good thing.

The credit card company or the restaurant? The manager and I had a lengthy discussion turned scream fest just recently.

#1081472 - 01/12/10 03:42 PM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: pwhittemore]
donelurking Offline

Loc: LOST
If the credit card company won't do anything for you and the restaurant manager has stated his position--you're kinda screwed.

Small claims court maybe--but it sounds like you'd lose that too.

#1081473 - 01/12/10 03:47 PM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: donelurking]
tbhagz Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Your mom's house
Sorry dude, your fault.

#1081474 - 01/12/10 03:48 PM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: pwhittemore]
AdonisJordan Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Lawrence
Quote:

Quote:

The credit card company or the restaurant? The manager and I had a lengthy discussion turned scream fest just recently.

I don't think the credit card company will budge.

I'm sure the place has more than one manager. It probably has 3-4, so call at different times to try to talk to someone else.

#1081475 - 01/12/10 04:14 PM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: AdonisJordan]
larryb2 Offline
Am I Wrong?

Loc: United Center
If it makes you feel any better I just called them, asked for the manager, and then farted on the phone. Alright, so I didn't nor would I.

"Said if I booked tickets to see a play, and I didn't go, I would still have to pay". Not really true. You could have sold your tickets, exchanged your tickets, or given them to someone else. In this case you got nothing but your money taken from you. I mean you did call to cancel after all. How much notice did you give them? Imagine if you were a food critic, you could really [censored] them over.

If you wanted to go hard core - Tell them you have a friend or relative who works for a PR firm and they are going to go public with this and drag them through the dirt. Local News, New York Post, etc. Tell them it in is in their best interests to accomodate you.

Or.... You could just say [censored] it and move on. As much as it sucks, I would opt for the second option.

#1081476 - 01/12/10 04:21 PM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: larryb2]
Rivethead Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Austin, TX USA
Well, you can start with doing an online review to tell others of your experience and WARN them about the small print.

At least here in Austin, lots of restaurants pay attention to those review (yelp.com).

Call the manager, talk rationally, and tell him what happened and that you will give them a negative review. He might be accomidating.

It's really the only leverage you have.

#1081477 - 01/12/10 04:28 PM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: Rivethead]
pwhittemore Offline
Satellite Coords Mod

Yea. I tried to be reasonable at first. I knew I wasn't getting anywhere. I asked him if there was anything i could do...or use the money at a different time--even during lunch or an hour where they don't have a lot of customers. He just kept interrupting and stating that they are a business and asked me how I expect him to run a business with people not showing up. It didn't matter if I cancelled. Then I told him that i'd be sure to give him a negative review. Then it escalated to a shouting match. So, there's not much leverage with that particular guy.

Thing is, if i'm still upset about this later on the week, it costs less than seven bucks to have a domain for a year. I may have to start me a website that will get hits when you search for the restaurant.

#1081478 - 01/12/10 04:40 PM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: pwhittemore]
DCHawk1 Offline
Proudly Derivative.

Loc: District of Columbia
Go over his head.

Otherwise, eat it.

#1081479 - 01/12/10 04:51 PM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: larryb2]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

Quote:

If it makes you feel any better I just called them, asked for the manager, and then farted on the phone. Alright, so I didn't nor would I.

Note to Gutter's co-workers:

Never borrow Gutter's phone or allow him to borrow your phone. You cannot trust where the phone may or may not have been.

#1081480 - 01/12/10 04:52 PM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: DCHawk1]
RussianHawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Washington D.C.
I'm on the restaurant's side on this one (the guy doesn't have to be a dick and shout though). New Years Eve is a huge night and many places won't even allow walk-up business. I understand they didn't have to serve you the food, but they most likely bought a set amount to prepare a special menu and you not showing up would have cost them money. Not to mention all of the money they lost on drinks/wine etc that they expect people to buy on NYE.

If you gave them 48 hours advanced notice then I say you have beef. If you called the day of then it is on you IMO.

Even Pacha Mama's in Lawrence has a policy like this on certain nights like NYE and Valentine's Day.

#1081481 - 01/12/10 04:54 PM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
N00b Offline
Big Dipper

I'd have told the credit card company that you called AND faxed a cancellation letter. It is your word against theirs that they actually got the fax.

#1081482 - 01/12/10 05:51 PM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: N00b]
jhawks99 Offline
Defense

Loc: Rebounds
When did you cancel? Hours or days ahead of time? Makes a difference. There used to be a lot of people that would make reservations at several restaurants for the same time on primo nights like NYE. Then decide at the last minute which place to go. This is why the restaurant put the policy in effect. If you gave them a couple days notice, they're being douchebags and should have either cancelled or told you to fax in a cancellation. If it was two hours, the fault lies with you.

#1081483 - 01/12/10 06:33 PM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: pwhittemore]
jensen Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Charleston, SC
Either eat your cake or send a letter to the general manager asking to be contacted. Yelling usually works. Sounds like you need to regroup.

#1081484 - 01/12/10 06:52 PM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: jensen]
madcapper Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: center of nowhere
Geez, such small worries, what do you do for a living?

#1081485 - 01/12/10 10:16 PM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: pwhittemore]
bpritchett Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Exile
Both.

#1081486 - 01/12/10 10:43 PM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: bpritchett]
sdoyel Offline
LIKE A BOSS

Loc: Dallas
Show up in person to argue.

#1081487 - 01/13/10 02:12 AM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: pwhittemore]
OREAD Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

A contract is a contract and they probably turned others away to accomodate you. I would send a letter (not a call) to the management and tell them it was your fault (and it was) but there was no need for the manager to rude about it and add insult to injury. Trying to tell them it wasn't your fault will just make them angry. Tell them you don't appreciate being talked to that way and who knows, maybe they'll offer you a little something to make nice, but maybe not.

#1081488 - 01/13/10 08:13 AM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: madcapper]
pwhittemore Offline
Satellite Coords Mod

Quote:

I guess I'm not well enough off yet to where I can just brush off 400 dollars and say no big deal. I can pay it easily enough but still i'd like to have gotten something out of it. I could have bought two tickets to a Kansas game and paid for most of a roundtrip flight to Lawrence for that loss.

I may just give them one more call to say that I'm disappointed and hope that they don't treat future customers the same way.

#1081489 - 01/13/10 08:44 AM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: pwhittemore]
madcapper Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: center of nowhere
Quote:

Quote:

I guess I'm not well enough off yet to where I can just brush off 400 dollars and say no big deal. I can pay it easily enough but still i'd like to have gotten something out of it. I could have bought two tickets to a Kansas game and paid for most of a roundtrip flight to Lawrence for that loss.

I may just give them one more call to say that I'm disappointed and hope that they don't treat future customers the same way.

I meant no offense was just curious.

#1081490 - 01/13/10 08:50 AM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: madcapper]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

Loc: KC, MO
pwhitt - for future reference

http://faxzero.com/

#1081491 - 01/13/10 09:51 AM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: CrimsonNBlue]
pwhittemore Offline
Satellite Coords Mod

Ha. Thanks. Maybe I should send em my cancellation fax today.

#1081492 - 01/13/10 09:59 AM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: pwhittemore]
PHOGUSHER Online   content
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Quote:

Quote:

400 bucks in New York is probably what ya pay for parking a month...but doesnt excuse that place screwing ya.....New York New York its a wonderfull town...400 bucks would have covered 8-10 nites at the Village Pourhouse to watch ole KU.......

Edited by PHOGUSHER (01/13/10 10:00 AM)

#1081493 - 01/13/10 10:26 AM Re: My Fault or Bad Business? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
pwhittemore Offline
Satellite Coords Mod

400 could easily have gotten me 10 trips to watch KU at the Pourhouse.
And madcapper, i'm a web designer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview