Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1080117 - 01/11/10 10:02 AM 'Puter question--External Hard Drive
tbhagz Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Your mom's house
Need some backup!

Basically iTunes, pictures, and personal files. Nothing too big, but figure we might as well get the most space for the buck!

Any suggestions? Anything that should be known before making a purchase? We have a PC and I see that they connect using USB which would be easy enough.

Thanks in advance!

TB

#1080118 - 01/11/10 10:06 AM Re: 'Puter question--External Hard Drive [Re: tbhagz]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby
Nothing real complicated Tbag.
Just buy whatever is on sale.

#1080119 - 01/11/10 10:10 AM Re: 'Puter question--External Hard Drive [Re: Geezer]
tbhagz Offline
Baby Jay

Quote:

Nothing real complicated Tbag.
Just buy whatever is on sale.

That's what I needed to know, thanks Geez!

#1080120 - 01/11/10 10:16 AM Re: 'Puter question--External Hard Drive [Re: tbhagz]
Ryan2845 Offline
Max Falkenstien

#1080121 - 01/11/10 10:24 AM Re: 'Puter question--External Hard Drive [Re: Ryan2845]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Ryan is correct. NAS for backup is faster. No offense to certain posters but, look somewhere besides BestBuy.

#1080122 - 01/11/10 10:29 AM Re: 'Puter question--External Hard Drive [Re: NotAPuke]
Ryan2845 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

Ryan is correct. NAS for backup is faster. No offense to certain posters but, look somewhere besides BestBuy.

Agreed. I just posted a bestbuy link since that's a store non-techie people are familiar with. I get all my stuff from newegg

#1080123 - 01/11/10 10:39 AM Re: 'Puter question--External Hard Drive [Re: Ryan2845]
tbhagz Offline
Baby Jay

Quote:

Quote:

Agreed. I just posted a bestbuy link since that's a store non-techie people are familiar with. I get all my stuff from newegg

Agree as well, but with tech tards such as myself, Best Buy is easy!

#1080124 - 01/11/10 10:51 AM Re: 'Puter question--External Hard Drive [Re: tbhagz]
ku_painter Offline
Pixel Gangster

Loc: Rockin a dial-up connection

http://www.buy.com/retail/usersearchresu...amp;display=col

Lots of good stuff there from Seagate as an example

#1080125 - 01/11/10 10:52 AM Re: 'Puter question--External Hard Drive [Re: tbhagz]
and_one Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Colorado
USB 3.0 external HDDs were announced at CES, WD and Seagate/Maxtor will have them in the stores soon, if not now. Also, pay attention to the software that comes with the drive that will help make it "automatic" backup to your needs.

#1080126 - 01/11/10 11:22 AM Re: 'Puter question--External Hard Drive [Re: and_one]
ross52066 Offline
Phog Fanatic

My advice: Hold out as long as you possibly can on buying external hard drive storage. Wait until it comes into your price range, whatever that may be, then buy it. I always wait 1 year after I get the itch to buy something like this, then it's usually 100 bucks less that I would've paid for it.

#1080127 - 01/11/10 11:26 AM Re: 'Puter question--External Hard Drive [Re: ross52066]
ku_painter Offline
Pixel Gangster

Quote:

My advice: Hold out as long as you possibly can on buying external hard drive storage. Wait until it comes into your price range, whatever that may be, then buy it. I always wait 1 year after I get the itch to buy something like this, then it's usually 100 bucks less that I would've paid for it.

No to be a dick, but the "wait as long as you can" approach to backing up date = data gone.

Side note: This is of course assuming tbagz doesn't currently have a back up plan

#1080128 - 01/11/10 11:28 AM Re: 'Puter question--External Hard Drive [Re: ku_painter]
ross52066 Offline
Phog Fanatic

Yeah, if you're in dire need of it, then don't wait too long. Good point painter. If for luxury, I hold out as long as I can. I hate spending money on technology because I get a lot of it paid for by the company and it constantly changes. Trying to be one of those guys that always has the newest computer gadget is too financially draining to a guy.

#1080129 - 01/11/10 11:31 AM Re: 'Puter question--External Hard Drive [Re: ross52066]
ku_painter Offline
Pixel Gangster

Quote:

Trying to be one of those guys that always has the newest computer gadget is too financially draining to a guy.

Yes ..yes it is.

#1080130 - 01/11/10 12:44 PM Re: 'Puter question--External Hard Drive [Re: ku_painter]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Good Lord. An external USB HDD is nothing more than a hard drive with a USB adapter stuck in it. If you want real speed and reliability, go with the NAS not USB. There are 2TB NAS models out there that have real physical RAID and won't break the bank.

#1080131 - 01/11/10 01:05 PM Re: 'Puter question--External Hard Drive [Re: ku_painter]
tbhagz Offline
Baby Jay

Quote:

Quote:

No to be a dick, but the "wait as long as you can" approach to backing up date = data gone.

Side note: This is of course assuming tbagz doesn't currently have a back up plan

Yep, not backup as of yet. I'm cheap and fairly uneducated, so I only buy $300 laptops that crap out after 1.5 years. Currently on my 4th laptop on 6 years. Got a kid now, tired of loosing pics!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview