Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1070470 - 01/03/10 12:52 AM Computer Related ? # 43
Shirley Offline
Pelvic Missionary

My mother needs a new desktop to do email and surf the web a little. She'd also like to be able to download pictures from her camera, and watch the various video links people forward her usually as parts of jokes. No games.

It would appear that this computer will allow her to do all those things, no? If so, my ? is, once I load her McAfee anti-everything package and Windows Office, is it going to slow this computer way down, and we'll wish we had spent more? We're willing to spend $200-$300 more dollars, but would rather not if it's not necessary.

Her ISP is RoadRunner high speed, (she has "turbo"), so that's not a limiting factor.

Thanks for any help.

#1070471 - 01/03/10 01:23 AM Re: Computer Related ? # 43 [Re: Shirley]
Naismith Offline
The Founder

Loc: Memorial Park Cemetery, KS.
Forget windows... sounds like she don't need it anyways.. Just load Ubuntu Linux with Open Office. It will be stable and run like a bad ass with absolutely with no slow downs because of software.

#1070472 - 01/03/10 02:05 AM Re: Computer Related ? # 43 [Re: Shirley]
ku_painter Offline
Pixel Gangster

Loc: Rockin a dial-up connection
I would almost lean towards a Netbook. Although Naismiths suggestion isnt a bad one either

#1070473 - 01/03/10 05:59 AM Re: Computer Related ? # 43 [Re: ku_painter]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby
For the first time in my life, I'll be good with an eMachine. That should work very well. Have you looked elsewhere or was this just a quick trip to the Best Buy page? I'll be happy to look around for you.

#1070474 - 01/03/10 07:37 AM Re: Computer Related ? # 43 [Re: Geezer]
Shirley Offline
Pelvic Missionary

Quote:

For the first time in my life, I'll be good with an eMachine. That should work very well. Have you looked elsewhere or was this just a quick trip to the Best Buy page? I'll be happy to look around for you.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We probably wouldn't bother with Windows Office, but my brother was able to buy it for next to nothing through the Economics Dept at UMKC, and my mother would like to be able to compose letters to her friends. (Must be a generational thing...?)

Geezer, I haven't looked around much. Best Buy is always my first choice because Brando's a part-owner, and along with Apple, it's one of the few places where you can go and look a/the computer nerd in the eye.

My brother is going in on this, and he's dead-set against a refurbished model. If you know where to look, I'd be thrilled to have your suggestions.

#1070475 - 01/03/10 11:44 AM Re: Computer Related ? # 43 [Re: Naismith]
jayhok22 Offline
John Brown

Loc: KCK
Quote:

Forget windows... sounds like she don't need it anyways.. Just load Ubuntu Linux with Open Office. It will be stable and run like a bad ass with absolutely with no slow downs because of software.

This. I run Ubuntu on a 10 year old desktop and it boots up faster than my 6 month old laptop with Windows Vista.

Free open source software FTW.

#1070476 - 01/03/10 12:20 PM Re: Computer Related ? # 43 [Re: jayhok22]
jdoneg Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Somewhere in the US
The last thing you should ever do is give an inexperienced computer user Linux. Seriously, what a terrible idea.

#1070477 - 01/03/10 12:21 PM Re: Computer Related ? # 43 [Re: jayhok22]
bradyp Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Topeka KS
Been running an eMachines for several years. Have had no problems other than adding a network card after a surge took care of the built in on the motherboard,

OpenOffice is the way to go, Microsoft has enough money. Not a fan of McAfee either. Eset NOD32 if you want to pay, Avira, if you want to go free.

I like web root SpySweeper but there are many good packages out there for Spyware.

#1070478 - 01/03/10 02:02 PM Re: Computer Related ? # 43 [Re: bradyp]
bighawk84 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: USA
McAfee does slow the machine down a hell of a lot. There is a lot better virus software out there. I am on my last 3 months of McAfee and I am going to do something different. Some friends of mine run a different virus software and swear by it. I will find out the name of it and post it for you to look at. I think it started with an E.

#1070479 - 01/03/10 03:45 PM Re: Computer Related ? # 43 [Re: bighawk84]
Jhwk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Those your real teeth?
dell 10
open office
windoze
norton

#1070480 - 01/03/10 03:56 PM Re: Computer Related ? # 43 [Re: Jhwk]
jhawks99 Offline
Defense

Loc: Rebounds
We bought a home version of MS Office for about 100 bucks. I'm still not used to the new version. But the price is right.

#1070481 - 01/03/10 08:38 PM Re: Computer Related ? # 43 [Re: jdoneg]
Naismith Offline
The Founder

Quote:

The last thing you should ever do is give an inexperienced computer user Linux. Seriously, what a terrible idea.

You have obviously never seen or used Ubuntu, or maybe you are complete Linux N00b... or all of the above?

#1070482 - 01/03/10 08:42 PM Re: Computer Related ? # 43 [Re: Naismith]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby
No, it's a perfectly valid observation for the computer Shirley was looking for.

And yes I have used that user supported piece of crap operating system.

Edited by Geezer (01/03/10 08:43 PM)

#1070483 - 01/03/10 09:48 PM Re: Computer Related ? # 43 [Re: Geezer]
Naismith Offline
The Founder

Quote:

And yes I have used that user supported piece of crap operating system.

I wasn't even replying to you Geezer. And Ubuntu is far from a "piece of crap". To think so only shows ignorance to what open source all about. The biggest waste of CPU clock cycles is the real piece of crap that it always has been... Windblows. Microsoft has only held the desktop for such a long time because it road the back of "open source" hardware.... the PC clone... Windows' days of being the #1 desktop are coming to an end very soon.

#1070484 - 01/11/10 10:59 PM Re: Computer Related ? # 43 [Re: Shirley]
Shirley Offline
Pelvic Missionary

Quote:

My mother needs a new desktop to do email and surf the web a little. She'd also like to be able to download pictures from her camera, and watch the various video links people forward her usually as parts of jokes. No games.

It would appear that this computer will allow her to do all those things, no? If so, my ? is, once I load her McAfee anti-everything package and Windows Office, is it going to slow this computer way down, and we'll wish we had spent more? We're willing to spend $200-$300 more dollars, but would rather not if it's not necessary.

Her ISP is RoadRunner high speed, (she has "turbo"), so that's not a limiting factor.

Thanks for any help.

So, forget that computer I linked above.

The new ? is, will there be any noticeable difference in the performance between a 320 and 500 GB hard drive, for someone who essentially never runs multiple applications simultaneously? (Is that enough info to go on?) I just want to avoid the anti-virus hardware slowing everything to a crawl. I could upgrade to the 500 GB for another $50, but we're already replacing everything else-printer, monitor, etc., because it's all so old, I'd just as soon not have to, but will if necessary.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview