Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1032979 - 11/29/09 05:26 PM This IS NOT over. **
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know where some of you get your information...I suspect many of you are Slant or Phog members or are passing along rumors you've heard secondhand, but Mangino has not been fired, he has not cleared out his office and this is not the done deal that many of you have been led to believe.

Please remember that most of these "insiders" came crawling out of the woodwork once word of the initial meeting with the players was leaked. Since that time, these "insiders" have claimed that Mangino would be fired as early as Wednesday prior to the Texas game, and assured us a press conference would be coming almost every day since. He wouldn't be on the plane, his office had been cleaned out, Lew was already meeting with Edsall, the list goes on and on.

Believe what you want, but as of right now, Mangino still has his job. I have every reason to believe he will be back. This is a complicated case, Maude. There are a lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of what have you's. Seriously though, beyond the obvious implications for the football program (rebuilding as a new staff puts their stamp on the program, recruiting) there is a lot of money involved, risk of alienating MAJOR supporters of the KU Athletics, etc. Lew is no dummy....he also understands how other potential candidates for KU jobs will look at the way this situation has been handled.

Here's hoping Mangino is back in 2010.

#1032980 - 11/29/09 05:28 PM Re: This IS NOT over.
namohcan_99 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita, KS
Quote:

That's all you had to say.

#1032981 - 11/29/09 05:30 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: namohcan_99]
MiegeHawk Offline
Prairie Village Idiot

Loc: Prairie Village, KS
NO. You say that "Lew is no dummy," and then profess to believe Mangino will stay. Sorry, but those two statements do not compute.

#1032982 - 11/29/09 05:31 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: namohcan_99]
eddie Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Lawrence, KS
Quote:

Quote:

It's not over? The losing streak?

#1032983 - 11/29/09 05:32 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: MiegeHawk]
FutureJhawk21 Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: Prairie Village
i didnt take the time to read what you wrote, but i agree with mangino back in 2010

#1032984 - 11/29/09 05:37 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: MiegeHawk]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Miege, with all due respect (which is none) you have no idea what you're talking about.

You haven't been right about one single thing since this story broke. Honestly, not once. If I'm wrong, kindly link to the post and accept my humble apologies.

Either you're pathetically clamoring for anonymous message board attention by pretending you're an "insider" or your "source" is feeding you a line of crap because nothing you've "predicted" has come true. Nothing.

I'm glad to see you finally corrected "Prarie" Village though, Einstein. LOL

#1032985 - 11/29/09 05:39 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: eddie]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's not over? The losing streak?

Losing streak? Xavier, Sherron, Cole and the fellas are undefeated! What losing streak? You accidentally posted on the football board guy. See you next time we make a BCS Bowl game!

#1032986 - 11/29/09 05:41 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: FutureJhawk21]
namohcan_99 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

i didnt take the time to read what you wrote, but i agree with mangino back in 2010

Long live mediocrity!

#1032987 - 11/29/09 05:47 PM Re: This IS NOT over.
MiegeHawk Offline
Prairie Village Idiot

Quote:

Either you're pathetically clamoring for anonymous message board attention by pretending you're an "insider" or your "source" is feeding you a line of crap because nothing you've "predicted" has come true. Nothing.

I was right about the meeting and general investigation. I posted about that the Sunday before it was commented on by Lew Perkins. You are right though that any time I really stepped out on a limb with firm "predictions" I have turned out to be wrong. That doesn't make you right either in terms of predictions or logic. Mangino has to go.

#1032988 - 11/29/09 05:49 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: MiegeHawk]
Wickedson Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: New York, NY
I was all for Mangino staying but after that disaster of game management yesterday I couldn't give a sh!t about North Carolina, I mean about Mangino...

#1032989 - 11/29/09 05:49 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: MiegeHawk]
supermario15 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: KCK
maybe he has'nt been fired yet but there is no chance he is back

#1032990 - 11/29/09 05:55 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: namohcan_99]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Long live mediocrity!

Mediocrity? What do you expect...we're program building. It doesn't happen overnight.

Even if we were able to bring in Pete Carroll, there are going to be ups and downs. Look at Michigan's record, look at Notre Dame...USC wasn't spectacular this year. Oklahoma went from a title contender to a ho-hum 7-5 because they lost a single player. These are the elite programs in the country.

There is no doubt that we underachieved this year...but Mangino has this program on the right trajectory. Attendance has soared, facilities have vastly improved and football has become relevant again at Kansas. No, he's not the only person responsible...but to diminish his contributions because of a 7-game losing streak is a foolish, knee-jerk reaction by an immature, spoiled football fanbase.

I just don't think some of you understand what it takes to build a football program that competes for Big XII titles year in and year out. I AM NOT RESIGNING KU TO MEDIOCRITY. I'm not crying uncle because the Big XII South is too tough. I'm simply being REALISTIC. I am acknowledging the time it takes to build a consistent winner and I've accepted the bumps in the road we're going to face along the way.

Starting over simply means losing much of the 8 years worth of time and energy Mangino, Lew and others have invested in building the football program. With the new facilities, a somewhat-engaged fanbase and improved athletes, we wouldn't lose everything...we wouldn't immediately regress to the Terry Allen days, but it would be a huge set back.

#1032991 - 11/29/09 05:58 PM Re: This IS NOT over.
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
You think his recruiting could survive this?

#1032992 - 11/29/09 06:02 PM Re: This IS NOT over.
Wickedson Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Long live mediocrity!

Mediocrity? What do you expect...we're program building. It doesn't happen overnight.

Even if we were able to bring in Pete Carroll, there are going to be ups and downs. Look at Michigan's record, look at Notre Dame...USC wasn't spectacular this year. Oklahoma went from a title contender to a ho-hum 7-5 because they lost a single player. These are the elite programs in the country.

There is no doubt that we underachieved this year...but Mangino has this program on the right trajectory. Attendance has soared, facilities have vastly improved and football has become relevant again at Kansas. No, he's not the only person responsible...but to diminish his contributions because of a 7-game losing streak is a foolish, knee-jerk reaction by an immature, spoiled football fanbase.

I just don't think some of you understand what it takes to build a football program that competes for Big XII titles year in and year out. I AM NOT RESIGNING KU TO MEDIOCRITY. I'm not crying uncle because the Big XII South is too tough. I'm simply being REALISTIC. I am acknowledging the time it takes to build a consistent winner and I've accepted the bumps in the road we're going to face along the way.

Starting over simply means losing much of the 8 years worth of time and energy Mangino, Lew and others have invested in building the football program. With the new facilities, a somewhat-engaged fanbase and improved athletes, we wouldn't lose everything...we wouldn't immediately regress to the Terry Allen days, but it would be a huge set back.

Yea but when have been the good days?

Yes 2007 was amazing, but other then that he hasn't done anything that any other mediocre coach couldn't have done since the university started pouring money into the program.

I'm just worried about how were gonna pay to get rid of him.

#1032993 - 11/29/09 06:02 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: JFish26]
MiegeHawk Offline
Prairie Village Idiot

Program Building under Mangino took a HUGE step back in his EIGHT year, Dr. Loyalty.

#1032994 - 11/29/09 06:02 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: JFish26]
tophawk87 Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: Dallas, TX
You may be legit at goose but you are not legit at predicting the future of KU football

#1032995 - 11/29/09 06:03 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: supermario15]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

maybe he has'nt been fired yet but there is no chance he is back

No chance huh? LOL ok.

#1032996 - 11/29/09 06:03 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: tophawk87]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

You may be legit at goose but you are not legit at predicting the future of KU football

Zing!

#1032997 - 11/29/09 06:03 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: tophawk87]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

You're another one that hasn't been right yet...preach on preach.

#1032998 - 11/29/09 06:06 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: MiegeHawk]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Program Building under Mangino took a HUGE step back in his EIGHT year, Dr. Loyalty.

How so? We have a solid recruiting class coming in next year...and as far as I know, none of them were wavering based on the losing streak. We announced plans for a $40mm addition to Memorial Stadium, broke attendance records for the third consecutive year...what am I missing?

#1032999 - 11/29/09 06:08 PM Re: This IS NOT over.
Wickedson Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Quote:

Quote:

How so? We have a solid recruiting class coming in next year...and as far as I know, none of them were wavering based on the losing streak. We announced plans for a $40mm addition to Memorial Stadium, broke attendance records for the third consecutive year...what am I missing?

You think???

I would have expected 2 years after a BCS win you would have more than three 4 star recruits.

#1033000 - 11/29/09 06:08 PM Re: This IS NOT over.
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby
Quote:

Quote:

History Awaits and a 7 game losing streak.

#1033001 - 11/29/09 06:10 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: Geezer]
bullpuphawk Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: McPherson, KS
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

DING DING DING we have a winner

#1033002 - 11/29/09 06:10 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: Geezer]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I'm not saying this to make a point. I do not know the answer to this question, and it doesn't really matter. But:

Has a team ever gone from winning a BCS bowl to dead last in their conference in two seasons?

#1033003 - 11/29/09 06:11 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: JFish26]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

You think his recruiting could survive this?

I do. If he was as awful as the rumor-mongers would have us believe, guys like Stucky and Meier would not be behind him 100%. I have no doubt that he's done and said things that would make many people (including his players) uncomfortable. I am confident that Mangino can manage this crisis...and make no mistake, we have a crisis on our hands...with the grit, discipline and fortitude he has utilized to take KU Football to new heights.

#1033004 - 11/29/09 06:11 PM Re: This IS NOT over.
namohcan_99 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Long live mediocrity!

Mediocrity? What do you expect...we're program building. It doesn't happen overnight. We are in year 8 of Mark Mangino.

Even if we were able to bring in Pete Carroll, there are going to be ups and downs. Pete Carroll? I never said we are trying to get Pete Carroll. Look at Michigan's record, look at Notre Dame...USC wasn't spectacular this year. Oklahoma went from a title contender to a ho-hum 7-5 because they lost a single player. These are the elite programs in the country. Granted I brought this on about calling our performance mediocre (which it is), but this investigation is not about wins and losses, and I never stated it was otherwise.

There is no doubt that we underachieved this year...Agreed.but Mangino has this program on the right trajectory. Attendance has soared, facilities have vastly improved and football has become relevant again at Kansas. No, he's not the only person responsible...No, lets go ahead and ignore Lew. He just works there.but to diminish his contributions because of a 7-game losing streak is a foolish, knee-jerk reaction by an immature, spoiled football fanbase.Agree, and thanks for the name calling. This is not about a 7 game losing streak, though I do think they are related to the player fights and the recent breakdown within, not one time did I say that Mangino should go because of the 7 game losing streak.

I just don't think some of you understand what it takes to build a football program that competes for Big XII titles year in and year out. Whenever that is...I AM NOT RESIGNING KU TO MEDIOCRITY. I'm not crying uncle because the Big XII South is too tough. I'm simply being REALISTIC. Realistic or rationalizing?I am acknowledging the time it takes to build a consistent winner and I've accepted the bumps in the road we're going to face along the way. Yet you don't give any kind of time frame of when that generally happens. Please impress us with your wisdom and knowledge of when is an appropriate amount of time because according to you it obviously isn't 8 years.

Starting over simply means losing much of the 8 years worth of time and energy Mangino, Lew and others have invested in building the football program. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but aren't you calling for Lew's head??? Now he's part of the success? I don't get it. With the new facilities, a somewhat-engaged fanbase Can we exclude the student section since they usually check out after the first half of play? and improved athletes, we wouldn't lose everything...we wouldn't immediately regress to the Terry Allen days, but it would be a huge set back. Even if we do regress back because we would have to start over with a new coach, there is no way we go back to the Terry Allen years. I know you are afraid we'll be worthless. If you really meant what you said about Lew, I think you know we'll continue the success that yes, both men brought to our program. Mangino is not the program. Mangino is great at what he does, but he's not going to get us to that next level you are talking about. That's my firm belief. Now as for these things going on, you cannot say Lew isn't doing his job. If he ignored these allegations he wouldn't be doing what he was hired to do. I think Lew and Mangino had a very good relationship. But I think these recent allegations soured their relationship because Lew had to do something that he didn't like and it looks like to save face for the university they may end up terminating Mark. I'm sorry it is happening this way, too. But I don't think Mangino took Lew's offer of buying out his contract to well and he's fighting it. Good for Mangino if he's right, but I seriously doubt he is. Just from what I've personally experienced and seen from him, I don't think he's around next year. Sorry. December 15th is the deadline. If it's happening, it's happening soon.

#1033005 - 11/29/09 06:14 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: Geezer]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We underachieved...what's your point. We lost seven games in a row...everything else is moving in the right direction. It was a perfect storm of injuries, slumps, quality competition and certainly some poor coaching as well. It doesn't mean we took a "HUGE" step backward as a program. Money keeps coming in, we have a recruiting class that I (at least) was proud of, fans keep filling the seats, interest is at an all-time high...I'm not sure what else you're looking for.

#1033006 - 11/29/09 06:15 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: JFish26]
tophawk87 Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: Dallas, TX
The only thing we can be SURE of is that not one of the new buildings will be called "The Mark Mangino Center"

#1033007 - 11/29/09 06:16 PM Re: This IS NOT over.
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

You're not concerned with how Mangino handled the team this year? Is it not possible that, if sat down when they couldn't perform in the first place, Todd and Jake might have been as good for the last month as they were yesterday? And Mangino's clock management...that's a big problem, in my book. It lost us the most important game of the season.

#1033008 - 11/29/09 06:18 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: namohcan_99]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Long live mediocrity!

Mediocrity? What do you expect...we're program building. It doesn't happen overnight. We are in year 8 of Mark Mangino.

Even if we were able to bring in Pete Carroll, there are going to be ups and downs. Pete Carroll? I never said we are trying to get Pete Carroll. Look at Michigan's record, look at Notre Dame...USC wasn't spectacular this year. Oklahoma went from a title contender to a ho-hum 7-5 because they lost a single player. These are the elite programs in the country. Granted I brought this on about calling our performance mediocre (which it is), but this investigation is not about wins and losses, and I never stated it was otherwise.

There is no doubt that we underachieved this year...Agreed.but Mangino has this program on the right trajectory. Attendance has soared, facilities have vastly improved and football has become relevant again at Kansas. No, he's not the only person responsible...No, lets go ahead and ignore Lew. He just works there.but to diminish his contributions because of a 7-game losing streak is a foolish, knee-jerk reaction by an immature, spoiled football fanbase.Agree, and thanks for the name calling. This is not about a 7 game losing streak, though I do think they are related to the player fights and the recent breakdown within, not one time did I say that Mangino should go because of the 7 game losing streak.

I just don't think some of you understand what it takes to build a football program that competes for Big XII titles year in and year out. Whenever that is...I AM NOT RESIGNING KU TO MEDIOCRITY. I'm not crying uncle because the Big XII South is too tough. I'm simply being REALISTIC. Realistic or rationalizing?I am acknowledging the time it takes to build a consistent winner and I've accepted the bumps in the road we're going to face along the way. Yet you don't give any kind of time frame of when that generally happens. Please impress us with your wisdom and knowledge of when is an appropriate amount of time because according to you it obviously isn't 8 years.

Starting over simply means losing much of the 8 years worth of time and energy Mangino, Lew and others have invested in building the football program. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but aren't you calling for Lew's head??? Now he's part of the success? I don't get it. With the new facilities, a somewhat-engaged fanbase Can we exclude the student section since they usually check out after the first half of play? and improved athletes, we wouldn't lose everything...we wouldn't immediately regress to the Terry Allen days, but it would be a huge set back. Even if we do regress back because we would have to start over with a new coach, there is no way we go back to the Terry Allen years. I know you are afraid we'll be worthless. If you really meant what you said about Lew, I think you know we'll continue the success that yes, both men brought to our program. Mangino is not the program. Mangino is great at what he does, but he's not going to get us to that next level you are talking about. That's my firm belief. Now as for these things going on, you cannot say Lew isn't doing his job. If he ignored these allegations he wouldn't be doing what he was hired to do. I think Lew and Mangino had a very good relationship. But I think these recent allegations soured their relationship because Lew had to do something that he didn't like and it looks like to save face for the university they may end up terminating Mark. I'm sorry it is happening this way, too. But I don't think Mangino took Lew's offer of buying out his contract to well and he's fighting it. Good for Mangino if he's right, but I seriously doubt he is. Just from what I've personally experienced and seen from him, I don't think he's around next year. Sorry. December 15th is the deadline. If it's happening, it's happening soon.

I'm not retarded...you don't have to respond line by line. So obnoxious. If you want to write a couple paragraphs or something I'll respond with a couple paragraphs...I don't need a line-by-line dissection in bold.

#1033009 - 11/29/09 06:19 PM Re: This IS NOT over.
KU76erfan Offline
Better than Liberace

Loc: Cygnus X-1
"We lost seven games in a row...everything else is moving in the right direction."

*chuckle*

#1033010 - 11/29/09 06:22 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: KU76erfan]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby
Quote:

"We lost seven games in a row...everything else is moving in the right direction."

*chuckle*

Isn't that what you say about a second year coach?

#1033011 - 11/29/09 06:24 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: KU76erfan]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

*chuckle*

Why is this so difficult for you to understand? Oh, that's right...you're Asian. Maybe there's a math tournament going on or something.

#1033012 - 11/29/09 06:27 PM Re: This IS NOT over.
MiegeHawk Offline
Prairie Village Idiot

Ban esoogtatigel, please. The retardation I could deal with. Racist comments cross the line.

#1033013 - 11/29/09 06:27 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: Geezer]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

*chuckle*

Isn't that what you say about a second year coach?

God this is pathetic...this is the same crowd that wanted to erect statues to the guy not two years ago. The UNANIMOUS COACH OF THE YEAR FOR CHRISSAKES!

#1033014 - 11/29/09 06:28 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: MiegeHawk]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Ban esoogtatigel, please. The retardation I could deal with. Racist comments cross the line.

Why are you so intolerant of other views?

#1033015 - 11/29/09 06:29 PM Re: This IS NOT over.
KU76erfan Offline
Better than Liberace

Quote:

Quote:

*chuckle*

Why is this so difficult for you to understand? Oh, that's right...you're Asian. Maybe there's a math tournament going on or something.

Exactly, first I must go to karate class with Miyagi-san, though.

#1033016 - 11/29/09 06:32 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: KU76erfan]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

*chuckle*

LOL...Miyagi-SAN eh?

#1033017 - 11/29/09 06:32 PM Re: This IS NOT over.
KU76erfan Offline
Better than Liberace

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

*chuckle*

LOL...Miyagi-SAN eh?

Hai, then we eat rots of flied lice.

#1033018 - 11/29/09 06:34 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: KU76erfan]
Anonymous
Unregistered

You wan' Pesi-Cowa?

#1033019 - 11/29/09 06:36 PM Re: This IS NOT over.
KU76erfan Offline
Better than Liberace

Edited by KU76erfan (11/29/09 06:39 PM)

#1033020 - 11/29/09 06:37 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: namohcan_99]
Sychophant Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: Lawrence
very well put. Hope you are right.

#1033021 - 11/29/09 06:38 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: JFish26]
MJR Offline
John Brown

Quote:

Has a team ever gone from winning a BCS bowl to dead last in their conference in two seasons?

I know you didn't really care all that much, but I'm bored waiting for the SNF game to start and did some quick research.

I don't know about prior to 2000 (Since ESPN's conference records only go back to 2002), but Louisville is the only team I could find.

They won the Orange Bowl in 2006, and finished last in the Big East last season. However, they didn't do it under the same coach as Petrino left to go coach the Falcons.

#1033022 - 11/29/09 06:48 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: MJR]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
KU went 9-1 in 1968, lost the Orange bowl to Penn State and then went 1-9 and 0-7 in the conference. BTW, they didn't fire the head coach.

#1033023 - 11/29/09 06:48 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: NotAPuke]
hasbeen Offline
Zipper Jiggler

Quote:

KU went 9-1 in 1968, lost the Orange bowl to Penn State and then went 1-9 and 0-7 in the conference. BTW, they didn't fire the head coach.

Which lead to decades of success.

#1033024 - 11/29/09 06:52 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: NotAPuke]
MJR Offline
John Brown

Quote:

The BCS was around in 1968?

#1033025 - 11/29/09 06:55 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: MJR]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

No, we went to the bowl as Co-Champions of the Big 8.

#1033026 - 11/29/09 07:01 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: NotAPuke]
MJR Offline
John Brown

Quote:

No, we went to the bowl as Co-Champions of the Big 8.

So you did know it wasn't around.

I was just checking because the post you replied to had to do with the BCS, not with what happened before the BCS was around. I thought maybe you were confused.

#1033027 - 11/29/09 07:15 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: JFish26]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

You're not concerned with how Mangino handled the team this year? Is it not possible that, if sat down when they couldn't perform in the first place, Todd and Jake might have been as good for the last month as they were yesterday? And Mangino's clock management...that's a big problem, in my book. It lost us the most important game of the season.

Concerned? Sure...we underachieved and the Head Coach deserves the lion's share of the blame. The to the degree his assistants or players are to blame, well...he hired and recruited them. Bottom line "the buck stops" with Mangino.

I'm definitely no expert, but there certainly were times I didn't like our play calling, clock management, etc. "Having said that" - I wouldn't dream of firing this particular coach, given the body of work, for mismanaging the 2009 season. In addition, as I said earlier, I feel that the losing streak was the perfect storm of injuries, slumps, quality opponents, etc...just as Mangino is not solely responsible for building up the KU football program, neither is it fair to pin EVERYTHING that went wrong on one man.

There are some legitimate arguments I will listen to about reasons Mangino may not be ALL he's cracked up to be...weak road record, weak conference record, etc. But I still feel he's the right coach for our program at this point. I feel we're on the right track. I feel we need stability, we need to stay the course...saw wood.

There are some things can not be tolerated...if he has been physically abusive (not pokes in the chest), if he's been "racist"...obviously those are things are not acceptable, period. However at this point, we have no factual evidence that he has engaged in such egregiously unacceptable conduct that would warrant dismissal - particularly considering the body of work. At this point based on what I have heard, I think some sort of discipline or training may be in order, but we certainly would not have "cause" to fire him...legally or otherwise.

#1033028 - 11/29/09 07:19 PM Re: This IS NOT over.
kugregg88 Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: KC
Quote:

Quote:

Concerned? Sure...we underachieved and the Head Coach deserves the lion's share of the blame. The to the degree his assistants or players are to blame, well...he hired and recruited them. Bottom line "the buck stops" with Mangino.

I'm definitely no expert, but there certainly were times I didn't like our play calling, clock management, etc. "Having said that" - I wouldn't dream of firing this particular coach, given the body of work, for mismanaging the 2009 season. In addition, as I said earlier, I feel that the losing streak was the perfect storm of injuries, slumps, quality opponents, etc...just as Mangino is not solely responsible for building up the KU football program, neither is it fair to pin EVERYTHING that went wrong on one man.

There are some legitimate arguments I will listen to about reasons Mangino may not be ALL he's cracked up to be...weak road record, weak conference record, etc. But I still feel he's the right coach for our program at this point. I feel we're on the right track. I feel we need stability, we need to stay the course...saw wood.

There are some things can not be tolerated...if he has been physically abusive (not pokes in the chest), if he's been "racist"...obviously those are things are not acceptable, period. However at this point, we have no factual evidence that he has engaged in such egregiously unacceptable conduct that would warrant dismissal - particularly considering the body of work. At this point based on what I have heard, I think some sort of discipline or training may be in order, but we certainly would not have "cause" to fire him...legally or otherwise.

I would like to start beating some of thes "quality opponents."

#1033029 - 11/29/09 07:20 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: JFish26]
edjayhawk1 Offline
I am an idiot

Yes, if his assistants in charge of recruiting stay. As soon as the decision has been made I suspect they will be on the phone, text message, or whatever to the verbals telling them that Mangino has been cleared and everything is back to normal. Will we retain all of them? No. But then again a verbal doesn't mean much to any team.

#1033030 - 11/29/09 07:39 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: namohcan_99]
Rivethead Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Austin, TX USA
Quote:

Even if we do regress back because we would have to start over with a new coach, there is no way we go back to the Terry Allen years.

"Even if we do regress back because we would have to start over with a new coach, there is no way we go back to the Valsente/Gottfried years" - KU fans shortly after Glen Mason resigned.

Ironic?

#1033031 - 11/29/09 08:14 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: edjayhawk1]
MiegeHawk Offline
Prairie Village Idiot

Quote:

Yes, if his assistants in charge of recruiting stay. As soon as the decision has been made I suspect they will be on the phone, text message, or whatever to the verbals telling them that Mangino has been cleared and everything is back to normal. Will we retain all of them? No. But then again a verbal doesn't mean much to any team.

If you are not over 40 years old you should just give up on life.

recruiter - "Hi. Keeston? Yeah, the horribly inept, abusive retard is staying!!!!"

Keeston - "yeah, i'm going to Missouri."

click

#1033032 - 11/29/09 08:16 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: MiegeHawk]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Crap, does this mean MiegeHawk is staying?

#1033033 - 11/29/09 08:16 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: MiegeHawk]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Want to put that on the record too, Nostradamus?

#1033034 - 11/29/09 08:22 PM Re: This IS NOT over.
MiegeHawk Offline
Prairie Village Idiot

I will put on record that if Mangino is retained, Keeston Terry does not end up here. He is already looking around.

#1033035 - 11/29/09 08:30 PM Re: This IS NOT over.
namohcan_99 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

I'm not retarded...you don't have to respond line by line. So obnoxious. If you want to write a couple paragraphs or something I'll respond with a couple paragraphs...I don't need a line-by-line dissection in bold.

no problem. I was afraid to go with responding to you in paragraphs after what my one line comment produced from you. annoying? yes.

I get your position. You get mine. There is nothing more to say. If you really want to answer my questions or comments, feel free. I'll reply back.

#1033036 - 11/29/09 08:36 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: MiegeHawk]
namohcan_99 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

Quote:

If you are not over 40 years old you should just give up on life.

recruiter - "Hi. Keeston? Yeah, the horribly inept, abusive retard is staying!!!!"

Keeston - "yeah, i'm going to Missouri."

click

Stay or goes, we are likely going to lose some recruits from this. Despite all the chicken little responses, I don't think we'll loose all our commitments because not all recruits come just because of the coach. Some come for the school. Some come for their education. Granted, some of the top star picks may not. We've only heard from a couple who said it may affect their decision, but that's about it right now. We'll get somebody else, and those we loose, we'll pick up somebody else. We may loose some on our team, too. That's how it works when a new coach comes in. There are trades offs in life. Just deal with it. The cupboard won't be bare. We'll still be a quality team/program. We'll have the same expected success with or without Mangino if Lew brings in a quality coach to take us to the next level. I don't think Lew has Terry Allen on his speed dial. If he does hire Terry Allen or the Terry Allen equivalent, then I'll join in your chicken little rants that the sky is falling over Lawrence and prophecize the end of days, but frankly I think we are moving in a better direction one way or the other.

#1033037 - 11/29/09 09:15 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: namohcan_99]
sdoyel Offline
LIKE A BOSS

Loc: Dallas
Miege and Keeston probably shared a milk and played jump rope on the playground last week.

#1033038 - 11/29/09 09:17 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: sdoyel]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Miege claims to have a degree.

#1033039 - 11/29/09 09:58 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: MiegeHawk]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I will put on record that if Mangino is retained, Keeston Terry does not end up here. He is already looking around.

I was hoping you'd go on record. It's like a guarantee that Keeston Terry ends up here with Mangino.

Out of curiosity, do you care to explain why you have been wrong every time you made a prediction? Have I missed the thread where you admit you are just guessing?

#1033040 - 11/29/09 10:22 PM Re: This IS NOT over.
detronbomb Offline
Prairie Warrior

Quote:

Quote:

I was hoping you'd go on record. It's like a guarantee that Keeston Terry ends up here with Mangino.

Out of curiosity, do you care to explain why you have been wrong every time you made a prediction? Have I missed the thread where you admit you are just guessing?

He has been right about a lot of things. He has said some things that only players, ex players or someone working at KU would know. Either that or he knows someone.

#1033041 - 11/29/09 11:13 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: detronbomb]
namohcan_99 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He has been right about a lot of things. He has said some things that only players, ex players or someone working at KU would know. Either that or he knows someone.

I'm guessing he knows someone or knows someone who knows someone. I'm hearing the same kind of stuff, but I haven't heard anything about Keeston, nor would I comment on him or any recruits if I had.

#1033042 - 11/30/09 10:16 AM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: namohcan_99]
imaj0311 Offline
Baby Jay

I think we can all agree that this season was a BUST. Was Mangino at fault? I guess to me I say partially. He should not have played Reesing if he was that ineffective due to his injury. He should have put in Pick and had his senior Meier and junior Briscoe help Pick out as much as possible. To me that's where his fault ends.

How many games were we in until one wrong thing happened that pretty much cost us the game. He's the coach; he's not out there playing. He didn't throw the interception; he didn't fumble the ball; he didn't have a costly penalty on defense (several after we had stopped the other team). In several of the games, if these things didn't happen we would have won and be going to a bowl and wouldn't be having these discussions about our program and Mangino's future.

#1033043 - 11/30/09 10:22 AM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: Wickedson]
jayhawk1996 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Quote:

I was all for Mangino staying but after that disaster of game management yesterday I couldn't give a sh!t about North Carolina, I mean about Mangino...

This. I was on the fence before the Mizzou game.
Now, I'll gladly chip in to pay for the buyout/settlement. Time to make a coaching change, take some lumps in 2010 and hope that the program can win 7 or 8 games in 2011.

#1033044 - 11/30/09 10:44 AM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: jayhawk1996]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Even under a new coach, I'm not punting next season yet. Very, very favorable conference schedule. Opurum.

#1033045 - 11/30/09 10:46 AM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: JFish26]
jayhawk1996 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Quote:

Even under a new coach, I'm not punting next season yet. Very, very favorable conference schedule. Opurum.

Six or seven wins is possible. But that may be after a 2-2 start in non-con.

#1033046 - 11/30/09 10:49 AM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: detronbomb]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Such as? What has he said (that actually panned out, mind you) that only players, ex players or someone working at KU would know. I'll be waiting for even one SINGLE example. I can certainly come up with several examples when he has been DEAD WRONG. I guess you prefer to sweep all of those under the rug though...why has his "source" within KU Athletics been wrong so often? The press conferences, Mangino would be gone by this date, then that date, his office has been cleared out, etc...all COMPLETELY false.

Are you seriously this stupid?

#1033047 - 11/30/09 10:51 AM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: namohcan_99]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm guessing he knows someone or knows someone who knows someone. I'm hearing the same kind of stuff, but I haven't heard anything about Keeston, nor would I comment on him or any recruits if I had.

LOL Christ...stop pretending that you have some kind of impact. EVERYONE has heard one thing or another...NO ONE knows anything. You're guessing...you don't know anyone, and even if you did it wouldn't make one sh*t-pot full of difference if you started talking about Keeston and the other recruits. You are a nobody...just a fan, accept it for chrissakes. Honestly, I just don't get it...

#1033048 - 11/30/09 10:53 AM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: jayhawk1996]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

This. I was on the fence before the Mizzou game.
Now, I'll gladly chip in to pay for the buyout/settlement. Time to make a coaching change, take some lumps in 2010 and hope that the program can win 7 or 8 games in 2011.

I'm sure Lew will be waited with bated breath for your huge check

#1033049 - 11/30/09 10:54 AM Re: This IS NOT over.
jayhawklaw Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Free State Lobby
WDNR systematically clowning the nibblers. LOL.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Preview