Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1033024 - 11/29/09 06:52 PM Re: This IS NOT over. ** [Re: NotAPuke]
MJR Offline
John Brown

Registered: 03/12/09
Quote:

KU went 9-1 in 1968, lost the Orange bowl to Penn State and then went 1-9 and 0-7 in the conference. BTW, they didn't fire the head coach.



The BCS was around in 1968?

Top
#1033025 - 11/29/09 06:55 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: MJR]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Registered: 08/28/02
Loc: Kansas
No, we went to the bowl as Co-Champions of the Big 8.
_________________________
The number of people who show up for your funeral will always depend on the weather.

Top
#1033026 - 11/29/09 07:01 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: NotAPuke]
MJR Offline
John Brown

Registered: 03/12/09
Quote:

No, we went to the bowl as Co-Champions of the Big 8.



So you did know it wasn't around.

I was just checking because the post you replied to had to do with the BCS, not with what happened before the BCS was around. I thought maybe you were confused.

Top
#1033027 - 11/29/09 07:15 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: JFish26]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

You're not concerned with how Mangino handled the team this year? Is it not possible that, if sat down when they couldn't perform in the first place, Todd and Jake might have been as good for the last month as they were yesterday? And Mangino's clock management...that's a big problem, in my book. It lost us the most important game of the season.




Concerned? Sure...we underachieved and the Head Coach deserves the lion's share of the blame. The to the degree his assistants or players are to blame, well...he hired and recruited them. Bottom line "the buck stops" with Mangino.

I'm definitely no expert, but there certainly were times I didn't like our play calling, clock management, etc. "Having said that" - I wouldn't dream of firing this particular coach, given the body of work, for mismanaging the 2009 season. In addition, as I said earlier, I feel that the losing streak was the perfect storm of injuries, slumps, quality opponents, etc...just as Mangino is not solely responsible for building up the KU football program, neither is it fair to pin EVERYTHING that went wrong on one man.

There are some legitimate arguments I will listen to about reasons Mangino may not be ALL he's cracked up to be...weak road record, weak conference record, etc. But I still feel he's the right coach for our program at this point. I feel we're on the right track. I feel we need stability, we need to stay the course...saw wood.

There are some things can not be tolerated...if he has been physically abusive (not pokes in the chest), if he's been "racist"...obviously those are things are not acceptable, period. However at this point, we have no factual evidence that he has engaged in such egregiously unacceptable conduct that would warrant dismissal - particularly considering the body of work. At this point based on what I have heard, I think some sort of discipline or training may be in order, but we certainly would not have "cause" to fire him...legally or otherwise.

Top
#1033028 - 11/29/09 07:19 PM Re: This IS NOT over.
kugregg88 Offline
Prairie Warrior

Registered: 08/31/08
Loc: KC
Quote:

Quote:

You're not concerned with how Mangino handled the team this year? Is it not possible that, if sat down when they couldn't perform in the first place, Todd and Jake might have been as good for the last month as they were yesterday? And Mangino's clock management...that's a big problem, in my book. It lost us the most important game of the season.




Concerned? Sure...we underachieved and the Head Coach deserves the lion's share of the blame. The to the degree his assistants or players are to blame, well...he hired and recruited them. Bottom line "the buck stops" with Mangino.

I'm definitely no expert, but there certainly were times I didn't like our play calling, clock management, etc. "Having said that" - I wouldn't dream of firing this particular coach, given the body of work, for mismanaging the 2009 season. In addition, as I said earlier, I feel that the losing streak was the perfect storm of injuries, slumps, quality opponents, etc...just as Mangino is not solely responsible for building up the KU football program, neither is it fair to pin EVERYTHING that went wrong on one man.

There are some legitimate arguments I will listen to about reasons Mangino may not be ALL he's cracked up to be...weak road record, weak conference record, etc. But I still feel he's the right coach for our program at this point. I feel we're on the right track. I feel we need stability, we need to stay the course...saw wood.

There are some things can not be tolerated...if he has been physically abusive (not pokes in the chest), if he's been "racist"...obviously those are things are not acceptable, period. However at this point, we have no factual evidence that he has engaged in such egregiously unacceptable conduct that would warrant dismissal - particularly considering the body of work. At this point based on what I have heard, I think some sort of discipline or training may be in order, but we certainly would not have "cause" to fire him...legally or otherwise.


I would like to start beating some of thes "quality opponents."

Top
#1033029 - 11/29/09 07:20 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: JFish26]
edjayhawk1 Offline
I am an idiot

Registered: 11/16/08
Yes, if his assistants in charge of recruiting stay. As soon as the decision has been made I suspect they will be on the phone, text message, or whatever to the verbals telling them that Mangino has been cleared and everything is back to normal. Will we retain all of them? No. But then again a verbal doesn't mean much to any team.
_________________________
Any team can have a bad century....Mark Mangino

Top
#1033030 - 11/29/09 07:39 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: namohcan_99]
Rivethead Offline
Prairie Warrior

Registered: 09/01/04
Loc: Austin, TX USA
Quote:

Even if we do regress back because we would have to start over with a new coach, there is no way we go back to the Terry Allen years.




"Even if we do regress back because we would have to start over with a new coach, there is no way we go back to the Valsente/Gottfried years" - KU fans shortly after Glen Mason resigned.

Ironic?
_________________________
From There to Here, from Here to There Funny Things are Everywhere

Top
#1033031 - 11/29/09 08:14 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: edjayhawk1]
MiegeHawk Offline
Prairie Village Idiot

Registered: 08/31/09
Loc: Prairie Village, KS
Quote:

Yes, if his assistants in charge of recruiting stay. As soon as the decision has been made I suspect they will be on the phone, text message, or whatever to the verbals telling them that Mangino has been cleared and everything is back to normal. Will we retain all of them? No. But then again a verbal doesn't mean much to any team.




If you are not over 40 years old you should just give up on life.

recruiter - "Hi. Keeston? Yeah, the horribly inept, abusive retard is staying!!!!"

Keeston - "yeah, i'm going to Missouri."

click

Top
#1033032 - 11/29/09 08:16 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: MiegeHawk]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Registered: 08/28/02
Loc: Kansas
Crap, does this mean MiegeHawk is staying?
_________________________
The number of people who show up for your funeral will always depend on the weather.

Top
#1033033 - 11/29/09 08:16 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: MiegeHawk]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Want to put that on the record too, Nostradamus?

Top
#1033034 - 11/29/09 08:22 PM Re: This IS NOT over.
MiegeHawk Offline
Prairie Village Idiot

Registered: 08/31/09
Loc: Prairie Village, KS
I will put on record that if Mangino is retained, Keeston Terry does not end up here. He is already looking around.

Top
#1033035 - 11/29/09 08:30 PM Re: This IS NOT over.
namohcan_99 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Registered: 01/23/05
Loc: Wichita, KS
Quote:

I'm not retarded...you don't have to respond line by line. So obnoxious. If you want to write a couple paragraphs or something I'll respond with a couple paragraphs...I don't need a line-by-line dissection in bold.




no problem. I was afraid to go with responding to you in paragraphs after what my one line comment produced from you. annoying? yes.

I get your position. You get mine. There is nothing more to say. If you really want to answer my questions or comments, feel free. I'll reply back.

Top
#1033036 - 11/29/09 08:36 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: MiegeHawk]
namohcan_99 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Registered: 01/23/05
Loc: Wichita, KS
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, if his assistants in charge of recruiting stay. As soon as the decision has been made I suspect they will be on the phone, text message, or whatever to the verbals telling them that Mangino has been cleared and everything is back to normal. Will we retain all of them? No. But then again a verbal doesn't mean much to any team.




If you are not over 40 years old you should just give up on life.

recruiter - "Hi. Keeston? Yeah, the horribly inept, abusive retard is staying!!!!"

Keeston - "yeah, i'm going to Missouri."

click




Stay or goes, we are likely going to lose some recruits from this. Despite all the chicken little responses, I don't think we'll loose all our commitments because not all recruits come just because of the coach. Some come for the school. Some come for their education. Granted, some of the top star picks may not. We've only heard from a couple who said it may affect their decision, but that's about it right now. We'll get somebody else, and those we loose, we'll pick up somebody else. We may loose some on our team, too. That's how it works when a new coach comes in. There are trades offs in life. Just deal with it. The cupboard won't be bare. We'll still be a quality team/program. We'll have the same expected success with or without Mangino if Lew brings in a quality coach to take us to the next level. I don't think Lew has Terry Allen on his speed dial. If he does hire Terry Allen or the Terry Allen equivalent, then I'll join in your chicken little rants that the sky is falling over Lawrence and prophecize the end of days, but frankly I think we are moving in a better direction one way or the other.

Top
#1033037 - 11/29/09 09:15 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: namohcan_99]
sdoyel Offline
LIKE A BOSS

Registered: 09/23/03
Loc: Dallas
Miege and Keeston probably shared a milk and played jump rope on the playground last week.
_________________________
F.O.E.
"We just say let your nuts hang...." -Darnell Jackson
#KUboobs

Top
#1033038 - 11/29/09 09:17 PM Re: This IS NOT over. [Re: sdoyel]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Registered: 03/17/05
Loc: KC, MO
Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Miege claims to have a degree.
_________________________
2013-14 -- One for the other thumb.

Top
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Preview