Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1001030 - 11/04/09 04:07 PM ESPN Insider Rumors Headline??? ***
kufan80 Offline
Big Dipper

The ESPN Insider headline is "Rumors: Self Already Unhappy with Henry."

I don't have a subscription.

Maybe they confuse that with Coach Self coaching Henry.
I am sure coach pushes all of his players.

#1001031 - 11/04/09 04:10 PM Re: ESPN Insider Rumors Headline??? [Re: kufan80]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
Wow, a little exaggeration there. They take a quote Bill gave the Star and extrapolate that Bill's unhappy with Henry's effort and he might be a disappointment. That's really irresponsible.

#1001032 - 11/04/09 04:11 PM Re: ESPN Insider Rumors Headline??? [Re: JFish26]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby
Started and played 20 minutes.
nough said.

#1001033 - 11/04/09 04:11 PM Re: ESPN Insider Rumors Headline??? [Re: JFish26]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

Quote:

Wow, a little exaggeration there. They take a quote Bill gave the Star and extrapolate that Bill's unhappy with Henry's effort and he might be a disappointment. That's really irresponsible.

How dare they build us up only to turn around and tear us down.

#1001034 - 11/04/09 04:11 PM Re: ESPN Insider Rumors Headline??? [Re: kufan80]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

No. Just a headline. All the rumors does is link you to a local article. Since the LJW fails at that, ESPN uses this article from The Star.

"Although Xavier Henry did score 14 points last night against Fort Hays State, coach Bill Self was not happy with his effort.

Henry still is struggling to learn how to use his natural talent to affect the game. Self spoke with The Kansas City Star and said, "He's a strong guy that can make plays through his strength. He can use his body to drive it, to get fouled, for rebounding.""

#1001035 - 11/04/09 04:12 PM Re: ESPN Insider Rumors Headline??? [Re: JFish26]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Loc: Mt. Oread's Shadow
Quote:

Journalism at its finest. Nice work ESPN....geez.

#1001036 - 11/04/09 04:12 PM Re: ESPN Insider Rumors Headline??? [Re: JFish26]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Loc: Work
He wasn't happy with Tyshawn last night either. I think when Self says he is happy with everyone and everything we will be cutting down the nets. Until then I assume he won't be happy with someone or something.

#1001037 - 11/04/09 04:13 PM Re: ESPN Insider Rumors Headline??? [Re: Hawklin]
Morgansraider Offline
Why...So...Serious????

Whoever wrote that blurb should, at minimum, get kicked in the nuts.

#1001038 - 11/04/09 04:14 PM Re: ESPN Insider Rumors Headline??? [Re: Hawklin]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
Quote:

No. Just a headline. All the rumors does is link you to a local article. Since the LJW fails at that, ESPN uses this article from The Star.

"Although Xavier Henry did score 14 points last night against Fort Hays State, coach Bill Self was not happy with his effort.

Henry still is struggling to learn how to use his natural talent to affect the game. Self spoke with The Kansas City Star and said, "He's a strong guy that can make plays through his strength. He can use his body to drive it, to get fouled, for rebounding.""

You left out the second part, where Insider suggested Henry isn't an instant-impact guy.

#1001039 - 11/04/09 04:14 PM Re: ESPN Insider Rumors Headline??? [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
kufan80 Offline
Big Dipper

Must have been short on rumors so they had to make one up.

#1001040 - 11/04/09 04:15 PM Re: ESPN Insider Rumors Headline??? [Re: JFish26]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

Quote:

You left out the second part, where Insider suggested Henry isn't an instant-impact guy.

He doesn't have to be. We have Tyshawn and his thumb to take care of that.

#1001041 - 11/04/09 04:15 PM Re: ESPN Insider Rumors Headline??? [Re: Morgansraider]
HawkRawker Offline
Eunuch

Loc: Jayhawk Nation
CALAPARI BEHIND ALL OF THIS!!! LOOKING FOR A TRANSFER!!!

I don't give a [censored] about rumors this kid could legitimately be our second leading scorer by the end of the year.

#1001042 - 11/04/09 04:17 PM Re: ESPN Insider Rumors Headline??? [Re: Morgansraider]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Loc: Mt. Oread's Shadow
Speaking of getting kicked in the nuts. Last night at the game Big Jay was climbing over the rail at the back of the student section and slipped his way into a nut cracker. He went down in the aisle and laid there for a minute or so. Students were laughing and trying to help him get up but it was pretty obvious he just wanted to lay there and catch his breath.

Then later in the game same Big Jay tried to pull of some kind of gymnastics move after a made FT and ended up on his back....rough nut errr night for Big Jay. Guess it is Exhibition/warm up season for him too.

#1001043 - 11/04/09 04:18 PM Re: ESPN Insider Rumors Headline??? [Re: Hawklin]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

Quote:

How badly did Fort Hays State stink up the floor last night anyway?

#1001044 - 11/04/09 04:25 PM Re: ESPN Insider Rumors Headline??? [Re: kufan80]
B_of_H Offline
is in your head....

Loc: the urban core
This is the kind of thing kevin kietzman will turn into an entire program.

"Espn is reporting self is not happy with x henry,sounds like even more trouble for the jayhawks folks. Our staff is currently working on getting a statement from the athletic department but they have not returned our calls as of yet"

Srlsy

#1001045 - 11/04/09 04:28 PM Re: ESPN Insider Rumors Headline??? [Re: B_of_H]
HawkRawker Offline
Eunuch

Loc: Jayhawk Nation
Who the [censored] cares Self and Henry both know that X will be great he is just trying to motivate him to slash more/play defense like he tried to with Brandon.

#1001046 - 11/04/09 04:31 PM Re: ESPN Insider Rumors Headline??? [Re: HawkRawker]
B_of_H Offline
is in your head....

Loc: the urban core
Quote:

Who the [censored] cares Self and Henry both know that X will be great he is just trying to motivate him to slash more/play defense like he tried to with Brandon.

Ksuck and methzou fans.

#1001047 - 11/04/09 04:37 PM Re: ESPN Insider Rumors Headline??? [Re: B_of_H]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

Folks... get used to this.

ESPN and all the major sports media mongers will be trying to find faults with Kansas because we are the clear cut favorites right now.

It comes with the territory. Every story will be about "Who can knock off Kansas??" "What is Kansas' weakness?" "When will they lose their first game?"

This is predictable. They do it every year to the best team. It generates ratings and page visits because every fan of every half decent team in the country is looking at KU and hoping we get knocked off (especially if their team is the one that pulls it off.)

They literally build up a team over the summer to be world beaters. Then the season starts, and they start tearing us down.

We are currently King of the Hill. Everyone is trying to climb up there. Get used to it.

#1001048 - 11/04/09 04:47 PM Re: ESPN Insider Rumors Headline??? [Re: B_of_H]
KUfootballbeasts Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Wichita KS
According to ESPN Self is unhappy with everyone except Sherron and Cole.

#1001049 - 11/04/09 09:05 PM Re: ESPN Insider Rumors Headline??? [Re: KUfootballbeasts]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
I'm unhappy with X. Dude should've had at least 54 points last night. Needs to get his lazy arse in gear!

RCJHKU!

#1001050 - 11/05/09 08:51 AM Re: ESPN Insider Rumors Headline??? [Re: kufan80]
5to6 Offline
Baby Jay

As many others have said, this is in part poor journalism. I would also suspect that since this is "Insider" content, they are using that sort of a headline as a tease to try to entice new subscribers.

While it's not kosher to post complete content from subscription sites on this board, I think that ESPN (and any others who use this tactic) get what's coming to them when members support each other by quickly posting the gist of what lies behind these "fishing" headlines.

#1001051 - 11/05/09 09:05 AM Re: ESPN Insider Rumors Headline??? [Re: Morgansraider]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

Quote:

Whoever wrote that blurb should, at minimum, get kicked in the nuts.

Carl was spotted speeding down I70 late afternoon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview