Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1000296 - 11/04/09 02:27 AM Highlights via My Eyes: Fort Hays State ***
KoolKeithFreeze Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Xavier: Started out great offensively. Stroked a three on first shot and then calmly hit a couple of free-throws soon after. Has a calm, confident demeanor, with an almost too-cocky smirk on his face. Not sure how I feel about it. Might be a good thing. Later tossed up a quick-release off-balance three with hardly any effort. Money. He did look a little lost on D at times, and a bit raw and out of control now and then on both ends. Cooled off offensively in second half. Also, totally punked an FHS guy who tried to help him up after a no-call. Refused the out-reached hand and cold-shouldered him with a bit of a shoulder bump. Not too classy, but maybe just competitive spirit. Obviously nit-picking there with the negatives, he has one of those man-child types of physiques. I think he'll be a monster once he learns the system.

Markieff: Just awesome. Used his body and weight well. Footwork. Finished with VERY strong dunks while being fouled on several occasions. Looked much better than his brother.

Marcus: Didn't show a lot, but no glaring mistakes. Just quiet. Nice mid-range jumper. Don't remember much else.

T-Rob: Manages to gather in rebounds he has no business getting ahold of. Passes VERY well for a guy his size. He is a beast and is gonna play a lot of minutes this year. The 'motor' comment has become cliche, but is completely apt. He goes after everything. I'd guess he had about 6 points and 7 or 8 boards in less than fifteen minutes. Fouled out on two weak consecutive bump fouls fighting for position under the basket.

EJ: On first shot attempt he jumps right through a guy's chest a la Tyshawn Taylor early last year and gets the charge called on him. Ball went in with soft touch but waved off. Next chance gets a break-away all alone and flushes with authority. Awesome alley-oop from Tyshawn. Toward the end, busts a full-speed cross-over and rolls right down the lane through three or four defenders for easy lay-in. He might have actually flown under the radar a bit with all the X pre-season hype. Looks extremely promising.

Tyrel: Several awesome glue-guy/intangible hustle plays out of him tonight. Hit two or three triples, one with his foot on the line that didn't count.

Cole: Efficient 13 and 13 double-double. Nothing spectacular. Solid like rock. Yes. Like rock.

Sherron: Is a really really really good basketball player (in case ya didn't know). Got in a little trash-talking tiff with one of their guys early, then nails back-to-back threes in his face. Timeout Fort hays State. Ruthless. Displayed high-level distribution skills. A couple of nice no-looks.

Dagger: At the ten-minute mark of second half, after FHS goes on a little run, Ron-Ron (yeah, I said it) cruelly shuts down their little point guard 90 feet out, won't let him past, snatches the ball away and lays it in. All by his lonesome. Evil good. Total step on their throat play. Blew the wind out of their sails and made them fold. They had nothing after that.

Crowd Favorite Play of the Game: Xavier hustle-dives for the ball in the corner, gets it to T-Rob, who passes it to Tyshawn, who hits EJ for an incredible touch-the-rafters 'OOP!!! And the Fieldhouse goes crazy...

If I had to find a negative, its giving up 20 or so offensive boards to these midgets. Pretty damn complacent on D throughout. At least that's one area we know for sure will improve under coach Self.

Rock Chalk my Jayhawk brothers and sisters, so happy that basketball season is finally here!!! Comments?

#1000297 - 11/04/09 07:18 AM Re: Highlights via My Eyes: Fort Hays State [Re: KoolKeithFreeze]
DrPepper Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Quote:

Xavier: ...Also, totally punked an FHS guy who tried to help him up after a no-call. Refused the out-reached hand and cold-shouldered him with a bit of a shoulder bump. Not too classy, but maybe just competitive spirit. Obviously nit-picking there with the negatives,...

I wish he would save the cold shoulder, I don't acknowledge your existence attitude for the regular season. Last night was exhibition. That sequence definitely caught my attention.

#1000298 - 11/04/09 08:28 AM Re: Highlights via My Eyes: Fort Hays State [Re: DrPepper]
blondie Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Enemy Territory
The Twins:
There were so many times last year that I thought they had left their brains at home. Last night, I don't recall seeing one of those awful "freshman" plays. They are not only better physically, but mentally.

Elijah:
There were times last night where I was having Chalmers flashbacks. This could be my new favorite player.

#1000299 - 11/04/09 09:09 AM Re: Highlights via My Eyes: Fort Hays State [Re: DrPepper]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

Quote:

Quote:

Xavier: ...Also, totally punked an FHS guy who tried to help him up after a no-call. Refused the out-reached hand and cold-shouldered him with a bit of a shoulder bump. Not too classy, but maybe just competitive spirit. Obviously nit-picking there with the negatives,...

I wish he would save the cold shoulder, I don't acknowledge your existence attitude for the regular season. Last night was exhibition. That sequence definitely caught my attention.

Considering our All American PG did more than that for over half the game I see absolutely no reason why X should be held accountable for less.

#1000300 - 11/04/09 09:44 AM Re: Highlights via My Eyes: Fort Hays State [Re: Hawklin]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Loc: JRP lunchroom
Didn't see the game but I'm enjoying the posts (well, at least the semi-normal ones anyways).

Based on this thread, it sounds like this team needs to grow up a little bit. It's alright to trash talk and shoulder bump from time-to-time, but against Ft. Hays State?

C'mon fellas. The competition is going to get pretty rough soon enough. Hopefully exhibition games are the perfect time to start learning how to act like big boys.

#1000301 - 11/04/09 10:03 AM Re: Highlights via My Eyes: Fort Hays State [Re: chiknbut]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

Obviously a differnet day and age of basketball. Certain high profile basketball gods made it acceptable behavior to jaw the entire game. Thats something looked at as a positive now. We do it against out own team. So we do it against Fort Hays.

#1000302 - 11/04/09 10:32 AM Re: Highlights via My Eyes: Fort Hays State [Re: Hawklin]
B_of_H Offline
is in your head....

Loc: the urban core
Lol

#1000303 - 11/04/09 10:35 AM Re: Highlights via My Eyes: Fort Hays State [Re: B_of_H]
hasbeen Offline
Zipper Jiggler

Trash talking has been a part of the game for a very long time. It's great. Makes it even more competitive.

#1000304 - 11/04/09 10:36 AM Re: Highlights via My Eyes: Fort Hays State [Re: Hawklin]
Happy Birthday ku_painter Offline
Pixel Gangster

Loc: Rockin a dial-up connection
Quote:

. We do it against out own team. So we do it against Fort Hays.

I have heard that Releford has been/is pretty vocal in practice in reference to talk amongst our own team .

#1000305 - 11/04/09 10:52 AM Re: Highlights via My Eyes: Fort Hays State [Re: ku_painter]
KoolKeithFreeze Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Indeed. And like I said, not sure how I felt about it. Sherron was jawing at their guys right in front of the opposing bench. The thing about the X situation is that the guy seemed genuinely apologetic that he had bumped X and there was no call and tried to help X up from the floor. On TV it made X look like a jerk. Lord knows what that same guy was saying in X's ear prior to that play. And either way, hyper-competitive trash-talking can be a good thing if it doesn't distract from one's performance. For example, in my opinion, last year's loss against Syracuse was the direct result of Sherron taking Johnny Flynn's trash-talking too personally and trying to go one-on-one against him on several possessions. Cost us the game. Which in turn affected our ranking the entire season, and perhaps our seed in the tournament. Granted, that is putting an inordinate amount of import on one little Xavier brush-off of a Fort Hays State player, probably not a big deal in the long run...

#1000306 - 11/04/09 01:14 PM Re: Highlights via My Eyes: Fort Hays State [Re: KoolKeithFreeze]
miltnewton21 Offline
Baby Jay

I saw X brush off that guy. I was on the front row there. Also, I don't know if you could see it on TV, but when X fouled out I think we were going into a TV or regular timeout, and on his way past the referee X kind of patted him on the back. That ref and one of the others looked at each other and started heading toward our bench. It got straightened out, and I don't think they were going to call a T, but I had flashbacks of that game last year where Morris bumped into that ref and got T'd up. Freshman mistake.

#1000307 - 11/04/09 01:20 PM Re: Highlights via My Eyes: Fort Hays State [Re: miltnewton21]
Z8RR8 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Derby, Kansas
I saw that X and Fort Hays guy situation different. I could have sworn I saw the dude shove X into the cheerleader section and then act like he was sorry and offered a hand.

Maybe it was accidental but it seemed like he shoved X to me.

#1000308 - 11/04/09 06:33 PM Re: Highlights via My Eyes: Fort Hays State [Re: Z8RR8]
KoolKeithFreeze Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

He bumped him out of bounds and X was looking for a call but didn't get one. I think the book is still open on X's attitude. I hope he is a team player and good sportsman in the long run. Actually, I don't care about sportsmanship if it is not detrimental to the team. I just want to win it all.

#1000309 - 11/05/09 02:34 AM Re: Highlights via My Eyes: Fort Hays State [Re: KoolKeithFreeze]
jayhawker_97 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: silly valley
X: a monster? nah.. he will never be. he's too cool to be one.
he's a smacker!

#1000310 - 11/05/09 09:10 AM Re: Highlights via My Eyes: Fort Hays State [Re: Z8RR8]
DrPepper Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Looking at the video (4:16-4:05 remaining in 2H), the little Fort Hays guy (also #1) was defending X Very closely (he had only just gotten into the game). He definitely had his hands all over X, and I think he held him to keep X from getting the pass under the basket. That brought X to the floor. It should have been called a foul. I didn't see any words at all between the 2 players. My theory is that X was ticked off at the ref and was too hot to accept the hand, hug, and butt slap from the little FHSU guy.

(warning, if you go and watch this yourself, you might want to mute the sound unless you care to listen to the whole backstory of Armstrong's first ever 'wow' back in 1984)

They went to commercial as soon as X got his 5th so I didn't see X's reaction there.

Preview