Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees

Posted by: gquinn225

Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees - 05/09/13 09:01 PM

Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees - 05/09/13 09:02 PM

Seriously though....why a 3 game home stand after going east then long west trip?

Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees - 05/09/13 09:05 PM

And to you Yankee fans out there, yes I realize that most other MLB fan's sound similar to you all as most other NCAAB fans sound to us as KU fans.
Posted by: Maximus

Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees - 05/10/13 08:25 AM

Nice pic gquinn225 for all those who remember when the Yanks and Royals used to go head to toe every time.
Posted by: pwhittemore

Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees - 05/10/13 09:11 AM

You guys talking [censored] on my city's team?

Proceed.

And yea, the Royals travel schedule for the last 3 series isn't logical.
Posted by: PHOGUSHER

Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees - 05/10/13 10:28 AM

Originally Posted By: gquinn225
Seriously though....why a 3 game home stand after going east then long west trip?

Wierd scheduling guffaw. Royals should of went up the road and played the Yankees at their house. And scheduled them during a long homestand at the K.
Posted by: KUSPORTSFAN93

Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees - 05/10/13 07:57 PM

I would like to make a few points to my dear friend Maximus after he argued for Francoeur over Dyson.

In 111 ABs this year, Francoeur is hitting .234, with 1 HR, 9 RBIs, and 6 XBHs.

In 25 ABs this year, Dyson is hitting .280, with 1 HR, 6 RBIs, and 5 XBHs.

(This, of course, includes the HR tonight.)

Keep Dyson in there. The last thing this team needs is Frenchy Francoeur screwing himself into the ground with every swing. According to my small sample size, Dyson>Francoeur.
Posted by: 41and2since94

Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees - 05/10/13 09:19 PM

Thanks again, Ned. You're the best.

How on earth do you bring Davis out there to start the 6th? Your offense just bailed you out to get the game tied in the bottom of the 5th. Davis is clearly struggling. Any competent manager takes the opportunity to bring in a new pitcher with the game reset you have been granted.

Instead, Ned the Genius leaves Davis in there. Only after he gives up two hits to start the 6th does he pull him. Damage basically already done.

Chalk up another loss by Ned.

Worth repeating again: the Royals will never make the playoffs with Yost as manager.

On the bright side: Good to see Francouer on the bench.

Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees - 05/11/13 09:46 AM

41, you arent posting anything earth shaking here. But what do you do, what MLB team will boot a manager with a winning record. It might not be that way for long though with the upcoming road trip. Who is out there that they might replace them with. Would you dare give Brett the job if he even wanted it...I got the over/under of losses definetly caused by Ned at 5 now....what say you.

Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees - 05/11/13 11:17 AM

It's not earth-shattering to you and me, but apparently it is to Royals' management and the KC media. There is absolutely no mention in today's KC Star of Ned's latest error. Can they not see it? Or are they afraid to question the team's decisions too often? Instead, there are two meaningless articles about fans still booing Cano. Who bleeping cares?

I don't know if it is the acceptance of mediocrity or an artifact of the Midwestern "charm" (being too nice and not questioning things). Regardless, it drives me crazy. NY or Boston media would tear Ned up for his decisions. I'm not saying I want to live there, but attitudes toward winning (or lack thereof) need to change around KC.

Ned has made terrible decisions in three losses this week--games that were easily winnable. Do the Royals win all three of those with a more sensible decision? Hard to tell, but the Shields debacle (which he amazingly claims he would do again) in all likelihood would have been a win with a competent manager.

I wish I would have kept track of games that Ned has done the opposite of what he should do, which is to put your players in the best position possible to succeed. Your number of five sounds plausible. The number of games in which he has made highly questionable decisions in high-leverage situations is probably higher than five. My first guess would be 8 or 9. However, you can't assume that the Royals would win all of those. Probably half to be fair. And, there was one game (can't remember the details) where Ned did something unconventional that led to a win.

I'm not well-versed enough in the coaching staffs out there to offer a suitable replacement. I think Showalter was available for each of the last two Royals' hires. Obviously he's not currently an option, but I'm not sure I want another re-tread or former player anyway. As much as I complain about Ned, I do think he has some positive attributes--the top of which is that it seems as though the players like and support him.

My solution--at least for the remainder of this season would be the following (and I'm more likely to be struck by lightning than to see it implemented):

Delegate Ned's in-game management responsibilities. Let him set the lineups, be the media guy, perhaps even still call the pitch-by-pitch signals, etc. Put someone with a great understanding of the game in the media box with a headset and a direct connection to Ned. Let them decide pitching changes, when to pinch-hit, bunt, etc. I know from years of experience that when you are the head coach/manager, it is hard to keep track of everything and still make consistently good decisions. You need someone sort of removed from the situation to see the big picture and to make decisions with a clear mind. Football does it with coordinators, why can't baseball? Be novel and trend-setting, Royals!

OK, spent too much time on this for a Saturday morning. Got a mile-long list of honey-do's. Later.

Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees - 05/11/13 01:19 PM

Agree with all you posted, but I didnt see an answer to if the Royals fired him who do they find as a replacement. The acceptance of mediocrity as an aspect of the midwest charm you are spot on about. East coast citys would not have tolerated the piss poor play of the Royals or the Chiefs for the last few decades. That attitude even drifts over to the one excellent sports team in the area..KU basketball. You dare not ever question Bill Selfs' coaching tactics(he is in fact to blame for the Michigan choke job) or the performance of some of the players. I guess its a midwest thing. 31 yrs on the east coast made me a more vocal demanding fan I guess.

Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees - 05/11/13 02:19 PM

I think now a day, players are paid so much that they are just retiring versus players of 20 years who made good money but still want to do something like coaching to get paid as well as stay in the game. I don't see the top 10 players of the decade going into coaching gigs.

Posted by: JFish26

Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees - 05/11/13 02:24 PM

I don't know that there's anything about being a great player that makes one a potentially great manager.

Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees - 05/11/13 04:53 PM

Football coach Steve Spurrier, former wrestling coach Dan Gable and John Smith, and tennis coach Brad Gilbert come to mind.
Posted by: christgs80

Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees - 05/11/13 09:32 PM

Poor Shields...2-3 with a 2.48 ERA.

Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees - 05/12/13 10:51 AM

I am going to be utterly depressed this baseball season as Shields' teammates continue to let the man down every single game.

Reoccurring theme as always. Pitched a beautiful game and never get a \_/\_/ for recognition or game result.

Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees - 05/12/13 12:26 PM

I hope we don't get swept. Even if we do, I'll start threads in the future.

Piss off fish wink

41....I like some of your points, but I'm curious if you ever see a completely good side to anything Royals?

I ask this bc in the last week or so I've read about how our hitting sux from you, and how it will kill us, and also how our pitching has blown games.

And your disdain for Yost is extra apparent. I like your positions, and how you support them, just curious to your day-to-day outlook on things.

I, for example, believe that most of the rain outs are behind us, and the sun will shine on the Royals more than not. Probably due to my yearning to have my fave team not super suck forever, but it's optimism none the less.

Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees - 05/12/13 01:48 PM

Well this week has sucked.
Posted by: IHeartKU

Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees - 05/12/13 06:39 PM

Yeah no kidding. Royals not playing well. Think they are tired of playing for Yost?
Posted by: jayhawks14

Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees - 05/12/13 06:43 PM

What are you guys talking about??
The last 2 weeks have been a complete joy

Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees - 05/12/13 11:10 PM

gquinn,

Yeah, I'm more likely to post when I'm PO'd with the Royals than when I'm pleased. I dunno, maybe it's mildly cathartic. I do have positive Royals posts, just not as many. Of course, they've not given many reasons for positive posts this past week.

I've probably posted more this season than all of last combined because it is evident that they are closer to being a playoff-level team than they have been in decades. I think I got drawn in by the 17-10 start and started to believe this was the year (even though I knew better). Their margin for error is just too small. And Yost probably fills that margin all on his own. It's just agonizing to watch his gaffes routinely cost the team ballgames. I really do believe that with a better baseball mind calling the shots that KC would have a legitimate (albeit small) chance of winning the division this season.

They're still only 1.5 games out, but it feels like a lot more than that. I guess that's because I don't think the holes can easily be patched. I view those as follows:

1. Yost is going to continue to make moves that don't put the players in the best possible position to succeed.

2. RF. I've said enough about Frenchy. I do like seeing the positive results we're seeing by Dyson getting some of his ABs, but the 3rd outfielder spot is still a problem. Could David Lough be the answer? His Omaha numbers are pretty shiny right now (.347/.403/.896), but he feels like one of those "AAAA" ballplayers to me. Nevertheless, I wouldn't be opposed to cutting Francouer and letting Dyson and Lough battle for the 3rd spot.

3. 2B. I like that Elliott Johnson is getting some of Getz's ABs. Johnson is probably one of those "jury is still out" guys, although at 29 he's likely a temporary solution at best. My hopes for Gio ever "getting it" aren't high. Honestly, the 2B problem is probably harder to solve than RF. Perhaps Colon may eventually become the answer, but 2014 may be optimistic for him.

4. 4th and 5th starters. Ugh. What a mess. I really thought Mendoza would pick up where he left off in 2012. He's had his moments, but, whoa, there have been some real land mines around those gems. And Davis? I dunno. The scouts like him, but I'm ready to see some of that potential start to blossom. I doubt Duffy and Paulino make much of a contribution this season, although I'm still hopeful.

The great thing about all of this? When was the last time the "problem list" was this short? The Damon-Dye-Beltran days maybe? Probably not. Best team around here in a long, long time. And, for me, that makes the waiting that much harder.

Billy will warm up. And I think Moose will too. But the list above I believe keeps KC around 78 wins this season (my original prediction). I remain intensely hopeful (too much so for my own good probably) that I've underestimated this team.

And I said to myself I'd keep this short!
Posted by: KUSPORTSFAN93

Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees - 05/12/13 11:25 PM

Royals will get off their cold streak against LAA. They have been awful this year.

Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees - 05/13/13 09:07 AM

Moose and Hoz aren't looking like promising Big League players are are on the bust side playing with another team after their contract is over.

I think the Royals were force to move them too quickly through the minors has there was nothing better at the major league level.

Not everyone can prosper like Damon and Beltran, who became All-Stars, and some player like Gordan take a couple more seasons before dividends are awarded.

Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees - 05/13/13 09:12 AM

I don't think the issue with these two guys is the fact they were rushed through the system.

The problem I'm seeing is that they are both not adjusting well at all to how pitchers throw to them now.

It's relatively easy to start your career hot, but it takes a great player to adjust to when the pitchers start figuring out your weaknesses as a hitter.

And so far, Moose and Hosmer have yet to figure out that part of the game.

And that worries me.

A lot.