Playoffs.

Posted by: InfiniteJ

Playoffs. - 10/05/12 11:27 AM

Anyone else excited for the playoffs this year? Best time of the year other than March Madness if you ask me. Any predictions for the World Series? I think it would be cool to see some new blood in the WS like Nats vs. O's...
Posted by: tyler

Re: Playoffs. - 10/05/12 11:41 AM

Detroit vs. San Fran.

Giants in 6.

I also, like the idea of the winner of either wild card game making a deep playoff run. Especially, Texas/Atlanta.
Posted by: MICHHAWK

Re: Playoffs. - 10/05/12 12:26 PM

Of the 4 major sports, I think baseball has the most fun playoffs. For me anyways.

I'm a Tigers fan. I fear that Cabrera's bat is going to go silent coming off the Triple Crown. A jinx of sorts.
Posted by: JFish26

Re: Playoffs. - 10/05/12 01:31 PM

Baseball's playoffs are infuriating. Too many teams. Terrible way of crowning a champion.
Posted by: ku_painter

Re: Playoffs. - 10/05/12 01:41 PM

Quote:

Of the 4 major sports, I think baseball has the most fun playoffs. For me anyways.

I'm a Tigers fan. I fear that Cabrera's bat is going to go silent coming off the Triple Crown. A jinx of sorts.

The baseball fan in me hopes that Cabrera finishes off a special season with an extra special post season run.
Posted by: sdoyel

Re: Playoffs. - 10/05/12 02:15 PM

Although Miggy had a sensational season, in a way, he backed into the Triple Crown.

Look at all of the players with injuries that in all likelyhood would've won the HR Crown, etc. (Talking about Jose Bautista in this instance).

I'm not taking ANYTHING away from Cabrera, because he's a fantastic player. But this is exactly why we probably won't see another Triple Crown for another 25-30 years.

EVERYTHING has to fall into place for it to happen.

Regarding the playoffs, I think the dual-wild card thing is a joke. 1 game to decide something so meaningful after 162 games? What a joke.

MLB playoffs are always tough to predict. If you want to go with the hot team, how could you go against the A's?

It's all about getting hot at the right time....

I like Washington's offense and bullpen, but without Strasburg I just don't see them having enough firepower to make it to the WS. The Reds are nasty top-to-bottom and I think they may have a slight edge on the Giants. IMO, the Giants don't have the hitting to win it all, but they could definitely beat the Reds if the shaky-Chapman shows up. I think the Wild Card winner of STL/ATL likely takes out Washington, but I'm not sure either can beat the Giants/Reds winner.

In the AL, who friggin' knows. The Yankees don't seem like they've put it all together, yet here they are with home-field. The Rangers however, would be their nightmare matchup. As bad as the Rangers have looked lately, their offense is unmatched. That being said, I think the Orioles take them out tonight.... Detroit will be very tough to beat in a 5-game series when you have Verlander with the ability to pitch 2 of the 5. But, as I mentioned earlier there isn't a team as hot as the A's right now.

With all that said, I'll throw out my predictions:

NL:

Cardinals over Braves

Cardinals 3-1 over Nationals
Red 3-2 over Giants

Reds 4-2 over Cardinals

AL:

Orioles over Rangers

Yankees 3-2 over Orioles
Tigers 3-1 over A's

Tigers 4-2 over Yankees

World Series:

Tigers 4-3 over Reds
Posted by: KUSPORTSFAN93

Re: Playoffs. - 10/05/12 03:01 PM

Predickshuns:

Wild Card Round:
Orioles over Rangers
Braves over Cardinals

ALDS:
Yankees 3-2 over Orioles
A's 3-1 over Tigers

NLDS:
Braves 3-2 over Nationals
Reds 3-1 over Giants

ALCS:
Yankees 4-2 over A's
Reds 4-2 over Braves

World Series:
Yankees 4-3 over Reds

Re: Playoffs. - 10/05/12 03:05 PM

Quote:

Detroit vs. San Fran.

Giants in 6.

I also, like the idea of the winner of either wild card game making a deep playoff run. Especially, Texas/Atlanta.

I'm not a big Atlanta fan (if at all), but I think it would be cool to see Chipper Jones go out in style; he's been probably one of my favorite players for the last decade or so.

Re: Playoffs. - 10/05/12 03:12 PM

Quote:

Baseball's playoffs are infuriating. Too many teams. Terrible way of crowning a champion.

Just to clarify, were you in favor of keeping it at 8?

I would prefer that to the new system, unless they changed each wild card game to a 5 game series.

However, I like the idea of 12 teams. I would like to see the a format exactly like the NFL's, except with a 5-5-7-7 series system.

I think 12 is a good number. And certainly that could be argued. I believe that a league should include 30-40% of its teams in the playoffs. 12/30 would mean exactly 40% and that's the model that I like best for baseball.

However, the 1 game playoff is retarded. Go with 8, 10, or (preferably) 12 but don't ever make a 1 game playoff.

Re: Playoffs. - 10/05/12 03:14 PM

At the very least, the WC round should be 2 out of 3. But the issue is with the scheduling. The WS will be played in November! And they will not shorten from 162 games....

I think 4 playoff teams are plenty. Get rid of the 2nd wild card.
Posted by: christgs80

Re: Playoffs. - 10/05/12 04:01 PM

Quote:

Too many teams?

You must really hate every other major sport then.

Re: Playoffs. - 10/05/12 04:18 PM

Quote:

At the very least, the WC round should be 2 out of 3. But the issue is with the scheduling. The WS will be played in November! And they will not shorten from 162 games....

I think 4 playoff teams are plenty. Get rid of the 2nd wild card.

I think they added the extra wildcard solely based off the the excitement that was generated at the end of regular season last year with all the close races that went down to the last day and and the one game playoff tie-breaker games.

Re: Playoffs. - 10/05/12 04:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Too many teams?

My first thought too. But I imagine Fish probably has more to his argument than just sheer number of teams.
Posted by: pwhittemore

Re: Playoffs. - 10/05/12 05:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Too many teams?

Baseball is a whole different ball game. Pitchers. Lineups. Lots of randomness.
There's a much greater chance you'll determine the better team in 7 games of basketball and hockey. You can't play 7 games of football, players wouldn't make it. Home and away for soccer.
Posted by: jammahawk

Re: Playoffs. - 10/05/12 05:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Too many teams?

I agree, too many teams.
162 game schedule is enough to sort out who deserves to be in the playoffs without this lame wild card system.

Re: Playoffs. - 10/05/12 05:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Too many teams?

Baseball is a whole different ball game. Pitchers. Lineups. Lots of randomness.
There's a much greater chance you'll determine the better team in 7 games of basketball and hockey. You can't play 7 games of football, players wouldn't make it. Home and away for soccer.

Agreed, but I also think the talent gap between the top teams in other sports and in baseball is quite different.

I really don't see a ton of difference between the team with the best record in baseball (Washington) and the playoff team with the least amount of wins (St. Louis).

Not so sure I can say that in other sports (with football perhaps being close).
Posted by: Topcitykid10

Re: Playoffs. - 10/05/12 05:50 PM

IMO 162 is way to many games. I like the 2nd wild card though. Also dollar signs made this happen.
Posted by: WaHawk04

Re: Playoffs. - 10/05/12 06:09 PM

There is a whole lot of stupid in this short thread.

Re: Playoffs. - 10/05/12 08:56 PM

Quote:

There is a whole lot of stupid in this short thread.

Thanks for joining the party.

Re: Playoffs. - 10/05/12 10:57 PM

So no thread about the call in the Cards game??

Some BS infield fly call!

Re: Playoffs. - 10/06/12 10:27 AM

Quote:

Crazy call, but it help the Card win, so I'm cool with it.
Posted by: PHOGUSHER

Re: Playoffs. - 10/06/12 02:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Screw the Cardinals...I am from now on refering to them like morgs on a date nite as in they are the "Backdoor Men"...backing in to every playoff scenario lately. That infield fly rule was indeed bad and bogues....But Chipper finished his career like a Chumper instead with that crappy error on the potential double play ball that gave the Redbirds 3 runs in that inning. A sad way for Chipper to go out for his career. Hope the Nats sweep the Cardinals...in fact I am sure that will happen...

Re: Playoffs. - 10/06/12 06:30 PM

Learn the rules GUSHER!

Cardinals SUCKA!
Posted by: PHOGUSHER

Re: Playoffs. - 10/06/12 06:50 PM

Quote:

Learn the rules GUSHER!

Cardinals SUCKA!

Sneak in the backdoor team sucka...dont tell you are a damm Redbird fan living in Dallas. If so I sending Josh Hamilton over to your place to smash you over the head with his crack pipe....If it takes the Cardinals plays like that BS infield fly rule to win..they wont go much farther ...in fact I still say the Nationals in 4 games....put up some cash or shut up Doyel..
Posted by: HenryMiller

Re: Playoffs. - 10/06/12 06:57 PM

I really hated the format they went to in the nineties. Too slow of a buildup to the World Series. Aside from contracting teams and getting rid of the DS and WCs altogther and going back to the 1969 system, this is the best option. It really seems to inject some immediate excitement into the playoffs. I don't know why anyone would dislike this system unless it directly hurt his team. It's good entertainment for the general fan.
Posted by: EliHawk

Re: Playoffs. - 10/07/12 12:46 AM

Quote:

I really hated the format they went to in the nineties. Too slow of a buildup to the World Series. Aside from contracting teams and getting rid of the DS and WCs altogther and going back to the 1969 system, this is the best option. It really seems to inject some immediate excitement into the playoffs. I don't know why anyone would dislike this system unless it directly hurt his team. It's good entertainment for the general fan.

Because it's bad for the game. The strength of baseball is the marathon pennant race. Teams fighting all the way to game 162. This throws it out. You had a Braves team that was 6 wins better than the Cardinals in a tougher division (no 100 loss Astros and Cubs to beat up on), won the season series 5-1, but a few fluke defensive plays from the best defensive team in the NL, an awful call, and they're knocked out of the postseason in favor of a team that doesn't deserve to be there. Previous one game playoffs were exciting, because the teams were actually tied. They'd fought at the end of the season, watched the scoreboard and this was the decisive rubber match. The Twins and Tigers or Rockies and Padres had bad blood and actually competed with one another. This one just sticks two teams together because MLB's marketing department thinks it's exciting and they can sell it to TBS for more money. It's a lousy system whether one of your teams is in it or not.

The idea that it was a big driver that was going to make winning the division count was always stupid too and pretty much ignored down the stretch. O's and Yanks didn't exactly go all out to try and snatch the Division crown, and the fans didn't really care, because in or out is always more important than seeding and byes. If you want winning the Division to matter, ditch the Wild Card and go back to the days of 1993, when a 104 win Braves team could snatch the title away from a great 103 win Giants team. Otherwise, just accept that Wild Cards sometimes win in the postseason and stop screwing up your best product, which is the 162 game season.
Posted by: kellyfenton

Re: Playoffs. - 10/07/12 03:43 PM

The question to ask is will the Cardinals' late season magic ever end? Four or five more teams down the stretch implodiing while they feast on the Cubs and the Astros five times a week, then get into the playoffs because of the new stupid wild card rule, then win the game by virtue of a failed double play and a terrible umpire call and teh Braves' inability to get one timely hit, THEN scores two runs by virtue of four walks issued by one of the best pitchers in baseball.

Re: Playoffs. - 10/08/12 12:11 AM

Where did Arroyo come from? Good performance tonight.
Posted by: JFish26

Re: Playoffs. - 10/08/12 12:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Too many teams?

My first thought too. But I imagine Fish probably has more to his argument than just sheer number of teams.

Well, those who say that 162 games is plenty to identify the best teams are right. A big baseball playoff is just Baseball's way of imposing "competitive balance"--you'll see how often writers and pundits will talk of parity because of how many different teams have won the World Series in the last twenty years. Which is true. But hey, Butler made a couple Final Fours, and some of the best teams of the last generation of college basketball (2011 Kansas, anyone?) didn't even sniff a trophy.

But where baseball really drives me nuts (and basketball does not) is that, at least with basketball, the game is the same in the regular season as in the postseason. Things that make you successful in January should carry over to March (granted, subject to the vagaries of sample sizes of one).

But baseball...man, you can do an amazing job of roster construction, but it's just a fact that teams with equally-talented (as a whole) pitching rotations can be worlds different in the playoffs; a team with little depth but three top-shelf guys has a decided advantage over a well-balanced but unexciting five.

Throw in the extra rest, minimizing further the importance of pitching depth, and you're left with a game that is fundamentally different from the one we've spent the last six months following. It's like demonstrating you're a great American football team for a season and then playing the playoffs by CFL rules.

Re: Playoffs. - 10/10/12 01:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Screw the Cardinals...I am from now on refering to them like morgs on a date nite as in they are the "Backdoor Men"...backing in to every playoff scenario lately. That infield fly rule was indeed bad and bogues....But Chipper finished his career like a Chumper instead with that crappy error on the potential double play ball that gave the Redbirds 3 runs in that inning. A sad way for Chipper to go out for his career. Hope the Nats sweep the Cardinals...in fact I am sure that will happen...

How's that workin' out for ya so far?
Posted by: Merg311

Re: Playoffs. - 10/10/12 04:02 PM

It's obvious. The Cardinals organization was sold to the devil in exchange for souls.

Re: Playoffs. - 10/10/12 04:20 PM

GUSHER ON BETTING ADVICE? LOLOLOL

Re: Playoffs. - 10/11/12 12:06 AM

Two ex royals with walkoff wins tonight.
Posted by: jayhawklouie

Re: Playoffs. - 10/11/12 11:59 AM

Gutsy and great move by Yankee manager. Unbelievable win for NY. Rodriguez, the pinch-hitee, was the first to congratulate pinch-hitter Ibanez after HR.

I predict it's a wake up call for Rodriguez...which would be bad news for Yankee opponents.

Re: Playoffs. - 10/11/12 01:35 PM

Peace out Reds.... Peace out Dusty Baker?

Re: Playoffs. - 10/11/12 03:39 PM

Quote:

Peace out Reds.... Peace out Dusty Baker?

They probably should give Dusty the ax, but I bet they keep him on for at least another year.

Re: Playoffs. - 10/11/12 11:01 PM

Every series so far has been fantastic.

Great stuff.

Re: Playoffs. - 10/12/12 09:53 AM

I'm a fan of birds today.

Re: Playoffs. - 10/12/12 12:36 PM

Quote:

I'm a fan of birds today.

You and me both, brah.

Re: Playoffs. - 10/12/12 01:18 PM

I'd like to see some fresh meat in the Championship series. Definitely like to see baltimore and washington win tonight.
Posted by: IchioKU

Re: Playoffs. - 10/12/12 02:36 PM

If the Cards lose tonight as I am predicting, I'll pull for the Nats from here on out. But only this year.

When they win their division for the next 4 years, I'll be pulling for fresh meat against them too.
Posted by: Shirley

Re: Playoffs. - 10/12/12 07:54 PM

Damn. Three men up, a double, a triple, and a home run, and three runs for the Nationals.

It's getting late early for the Cardinals.

Re: Playoffs. - 10/12/12 09:28 PM

Never fear, the postseason gods are once again watching out for them, walk, walk, walk, walk, walk, wild pitch, walk
Posted by: 41and2since94

Re: Playoffs. - 10/12/12 10:12 PM

the Turdinals will win this game.

Re: Playoffs. - 10/12/12 10:34 PM

apparently you're right.

Re: Playoffs. - 10/12/12 10:37 PM

At best, Cards lose on a walk off in the 10th. Otherwise, it ends 6-5.

Re: Playoffs. - 10/12/12 10:46 PM

God, I hope you're right .... the latter scenario would be great.

Re: Playoffs. - 10/12/12 11:10 PM

Seven more walks tonight ... so far.

Re: Playoffs. - 10/12/12 11:13 PM

eight, three more and they'll win.

Re: Playoffs. - 10/12/12 11:14 PM

Quote:

It's obvious. The Cardinals organization was sold to the devil in exchange for souls.

As I was saying...

Re: Playoffs. - 10/12/12 11:15 PM

Way to give it away, Nats. Cards will win the WS again. It's apparently ordained ... again.

Re: Playoffs. - 10/12/12 11:22 PM

Of their nine runs, probably six or seven were walks. Gosh, I'm just absolutely certain the Nats are gonna rally! I'll go ahead and congratulate the Cards on their seconds straight World Series.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/12/12 11:44 PM

Cardiac Cards!

4 runs with 2 outs!
Posted by: Kane

Re: Playofffs. - 10/13/12 12:51 AM

[censored] the Cards. They make me want to vomit. I still can and will congratulate them and their fans on a spectacular comeback.
Now Nats fans know what it's like to be a Flubs fan circa 1984 and 2003.
Posted by: HenryMiller

Re: Playofffs. - 10/13/12 05:57 AM

EVERY...SINGLE...team I was rooting for lost. Reds...done. Nationals...out...Orioles...sunk. I'm out. Not watching any more baseball this year. I couldn't have scripted a "final four" I would less like to see. I have little doubt that it will be Cards-Yanks in the series.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/13/12 07:59 AM

NATS GM ought to be fired this morning. Davey Johnson, too. Edwin Jackson???????

But hats off to the Cards. They are amazingly resilient.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/13/12 10:54 AM

Johnson is the reason why the Nata are sitting at home.

Prime example of poor managing:

2 outs. 7-7 game. Nats don't hold Descalso on, give him 2nd. 1st open with Kozma up and Motte on deck. WHY didn't they intentionally walk Kozma and force Mateny to pinch hit for Motte? Cards had 1 bench hitter left.

Nope. Let Kozma burn them and Motte stayed in the game to close it out.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/13/12 11:54 AM

Well, I don't blame myself for the pessimism considering the historic comeback/meltdown required to pull that off but I still feel like one of the posters who called the OSU game in the first half after having recently watched the comebacks vs Purdue and NC State.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/13/12 12:14 PM

Of the teams left..I despise the Cardinals.

I'll be fine with the A's, Yanks, or Gigantes.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/13/12 03:19 PM

A's are done.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/13/12 09:13 PM

Should worse come to worse and it's Yankees vs. Cardinals in the WS, I'll root for the Yankees...and I hate them.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/13/12 10:40 PM

And every team I cheer against makes miraculous comebacks in the 9th inning.

I fully expect a New York/St. Louis WS now.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/14/12 07:53 AM

I'm pulling for Detroit. Assuming St Louis comes back from a 3-0 deficit in the series with the Giants and wins the last four games after being down to their final strike each time, Detroit has the pitching to finally stop the madness. The Yanks are mediocre at best, especially now with Jeter out.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/14/12 08:59 AM

Detroit's pitching is good especially at the top of their rotation, but as a staff it's the weakest of all compared to WSH, ATL, and SF and StL historically does better against power pitchers.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/14/12 10:50 AM

Jeter done.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/14/12 05:52 PM

Quote:

Jeter done.

Anyone here how bad it is yet? Could that be the end of his career?

Re: Playofffs. - 10/14/12 05:58 PM

Not travelling with the team to Detroit. Seeing a specialist in Charlotte tomorrow I believe.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/15/12 07:43 PM

And there it is again. A pitch right down the middle for strike three ruled a ball and turning into a run. These guys are the devil.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/15/12 08:08 PM

Don't groove a fastball to the pitcher.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/15/12 08:46 PM

Quote:

And there it is again. A pitch right down the middle for strike three ruled a ball and turning into a run. These guys are the devil.

How about an excuse me bloop double followed by 2 choppers off the plate for hits. San Fran is getting some breaks of their own.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/15/12 09:04 PM

You want every break over the course of two seasons? I realize the Cards are still due some good karma from the Denkinger call but come on.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/15/12 09:56 PM

kelly, did you close your eyes on that blown call? That is on even par from the Yankee debacle last night.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/15/12 10:03 PM

which call?

Re: Playofffs. - 10/15/12 10:04 PM

That's what I thought.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/15/12 10:05 PM

Are you talking about the retreat to first? I had switched to the football game and didn't really get to look at it. Was he out of the base path?

Re: Playofffs. - 10/15/12 10:09 PM

If this was an elimination game, I'd give the Cards a 50-50 chance or still winning.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/15/12 10:09 PM

And he was tagged. That was as bad as the blown call in the Yankee game. And this one has directly led to 2 more runs (and counting).

Re: Playofffs. - 10/15/12 10:12 PM

Replacement umps? What the hell's going on here?

Re: Playofffs. - 10/15/12 11:23 PM

I'm glad the Royals are heading to Kauffman with a 2-0 lead. Without Jeter, and with every other Yankee looking like crap, I think they really have a great shot here. It's really amazing how far the Royals have come with such a small payro....

Oh wait?

Not this year? Oh, never mind.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/16/12 10:56 PM

Yankees are toast. They MIGHT win CC's start tomorrow, but it won't get back to NY. Verlander will be starting G1 of the WS here in a week.
Posted by: Kane

Re: Playofffs. - 10/17/12 06:25 AM

Detroit VS St.Louis in late October?
BORING!
Can I root for both teams to lose?
Two of the worst cities in the United States hosting Baseball in 30 degree temperatures. I hope the games keep get rained/snowed out and the World Series lasts until Thanksgiving.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/17/12 03:34 PM

It's going to be Frisco v. Detroit. Not StL.

I don't care who wins, so long as it isn't StL. I like Verlander and Miguel Cabrera. Jim Leyland is a respectable guy too.

On the other hand, San Francisco is a much nicer city than Detroit. And they have a few players I like.

Come on Spring Training!

Re: Playofffs. - 10/17/12 07:45 PM

Quote:

I don't care who wins, so long as it isn't StL.

Couldn't agree more. Cannot stand their fan base as a whole (there are a few tolerable ones). Most of their fans are MethZoo goons.

Quote:

Couldn't disagree more. Turdinals take this in five.

Quote:

Come on Spring Training!

Moving past the annoying WS and on to KU bb works for me.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/17/12 08:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't care who wins, so long as it isn't StL.

Couldn't agree more. Cannot stand their fan base as a whole (there are a few tolerable ones). Most of their fans are MethZoo goons.

Quote:

Couldn't disagree more. Turdinals take this in five.

Quote:

Come on Spring Training!

Moving past the annoying WS and on to KU bb works for me.

Glad we're in the same boat. Cardinals pick is perfectly valid. I'm just speaking in baseball terms. Once CBB is here, I won't give a [censored] about the Royals.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/17/12 09:40 PM

That's a winner!

2-1 Redbirds

Re: Playofffs. - 10/18/12 07:13 AM

I don't have the equipment necessary to add up such a large number but I would guess that in the nine postseason games the Cardinals have played, their foes have left close to 90 runners on base. That's some clutch pitching ... or something.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/18/12 08:19 AM

Braves: 12
Nats: 10+9+11+2+5=37
Gigantes: 7+9+11=27

37+27+12=76 LOB thus far by Cardinals' opponents

Not far off on what sounded outlandish at first. By the end of this series, the number will probably top 90.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/18/12 09:49 AM

Not sure what point you Redbird haters are trying to make.

In 9 postseason games (6 of which the Cardinals have played on the ROAD), the Cardinals have outscored their opponents: 48 to 31, while stranding 59 runners of their own....

Re: Playofffs. - 10/18/12 10:25 AM

Quote:

The only point I'd like to make is that I hate the effing Cardinals.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/18/12 10:47 AM

The only point I'd like to make is that I hate the effing Jayhawks.

yt, ksu fans

oh wait...

Re: Playofffs. - 10/18/12 10:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Luckily for you cards haters, the Tigers are about as likeable as they come.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/18/12 10:34 PM

Why would the Royals fans root for their division rival?

Re: Playofffs. - 10/18/12 10:49 PM

Quote:

Because it's the better option compared to their cross state, self righteous assholes...I mean rivals.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/18/12 10:50 PM

Quote:

I guess they need to decide which they hate the least. Or they can just not watch at all.

And, i'm not so sure the royals are anyone's rivals.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/19/12 07:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Luckily for you cards haters, the Tigers are about as likeable as they come.

1968 was the first year I closely followed a baseball season. The Cardinals were the team I grew up with, and even though I've switched allegiances to the Royals, I've never gotten over the 1968 World Series. I hate the Tigers.
[censored] McLain, [censored] Lolich, [censored] Horton, [censored] Freehan, [censored] Kaline, [censored] em all.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/19/12 09:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Because it's the better option compared to their cross state, self righteous assholes...I mean rivals.

You sound like a K-State fan.

Stark: Give the Cardinals some love

Re: Playofffs. - 10/19/12 10:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You sound like a K-State fan.

Stark: Give the Cardinals some love

You sound like a Cardinals fan...

Re: Playofffs. - 10/19/12 09:11 PM

The Cardinals can eat my ass. Seriously, eff them. They can all flush their d!cks down a toilet.

I don't really have much against Detroit except for the fact that their city sucks. I hope they curb stomp the cardinals.

Better yet, maybe tonight is the start of a comeback for Frisco.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/19/12 10:49 PM

Jealousy can eat my ass. Seriously, eff it.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/19/12 11:54 PM

Quote:

Jealousy can eat my ass. Seriously, eff it.

Jealous of the Cards? Yankees, I could see that argument. But the Cards? Look, if jealousy was a big problem for me, I wouldn't be a Royals fan. Hell, I wouldn't be a Chiefs fan.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/21/12 05:43 PM

Another tough break for STL. Matt Holliday is not in the lineup tonight due to lower back stiffness.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/21/12 07:47 PM

Are you serious tough break for STL? They always get the breaks.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/21/12 09:07 PM

You mean like allowing the most unearned runs ever in a playoff series?

Re: Playofffs. - 10/21/12 09:39 PM

no, I think he means something along the lines of...

• having the advantage of the unbalanced schedule and getting to play the Cubs and Astros more than the other teams chasing that 2nd wildcard spot
  • getting the Royals as your interleague "rival." for comparison's sake, the Dodgers had to play the Angels. STL got to face a 72-win team for 6 games. LAD had to face an 89-win team for 6 games. STL went 4-2 against KC. LAD went 2-4 against LAA. How many games did STL win the wildcard by?
  • simply being lucky enough to have that 2nd wildcard slot available
  • the highly questionable call in the wildcard game vs. ATL
  • not having to face Strasburg
  • not having to face Melky Cabrera
That's the highly abbreviated list for this year. Last year was even more ridiculous.

I think that's part of what he was referring to.

BTW, glad to be wrong about my call of Turdinals in 5. Still think they win the series, though.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/21/12 10:46 PM

Yeah, Colorado and San Diego were REAL good this year.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/22/12 12:09 AM

Quote:

Bahahaha.. Great rebuttal.

/sarcasm

Re: Playofffs. - 10/22/12 09:53 AM

Why not? The NL West was the weakest division in the NL this year. Look who you had in the NL Central: Reds, Cardinals, Pirates, Brewers. Nevermind the Cubs and Astros....

Arguing SOS in baseball is laughable.

And I really cannot believe this infield fly rule is still being discussed. Worst case scenario, the bases are loaded with 1 out and the Cardinals are still winning by 3 runs!

Re: Playofffs. - 10/22/12 10:54 AM

Hey jagoffs, didn't I say Frisco was going to take this series?

Well, they might not. But it looks pretty good for them right now.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/22/12 10:55 AM

They are 0-5 all-time in Game 7's....

Re: Playofffs. - 10/22/12 11:27 AM

Quote:

They are 0-5 all-time in Game 7's....

You're totally right. Each of those five games will have an effect on tonight's. LOL.

I'm not even sure if you picked the Cards. I just quick replied, by the way.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/22/12 12:09 PM

Quote:

having the advantage of the unbalanced schedule and getting to play the Cubs and Astros more than the other teams chasing that 2nd wildcard spot

While I think there is something to this. We played the Astros and Cubs down the stretch. But obviously we also played the Brewers, Reds, and Pirates throughout the season (i.e. when the Pirates were good).
BTW, the Astros were actually winning games in September and were 14-10 after August if you don't count the series vs the Cards down the stretch. The Padres, in comparison, were 14-15 after August (14-12 if you don't count the 3 game sweep from the Cards).

Quote:

getting the Royals as your interleague "rival." for comparison's sake, the Dodgers had to play the Angels. STL got to face a 72-win team for 6 games. LAD had to face an 89-win team for 6 games. STL went 4-2 against KC. LAD went 2-4 against LAA. How many games did STL win the wildcard by?

That's a bit cherry picked.
Weren't the ChiSox in the race this year? Who was their interleague rival and how did that turn out for them (Cubs)? Weren't the Phillies in the running for the wild card near the end? Who was their interleague rival and how did that turn out for them (Twins)? Weren't the Rays in the race till the end? They got the Marlins (69 win team). How'd that work out?

Yet, the Orioles interleague rival was the Nationals. And they still managed to get the wild-card. In fact, they both made it to the post-season. Same with the Giants/A's.

Quote:

simply being lucky enough to have that 2nd wildcard slot available

Ok......

Quote:

the highly questionable call in the wildcard game vs. ATL

I agree. I'd even call it a blown call instead of a questionable one. I also agree with sdoyle that it didn't mean the game.

Quote:

not having to face Strasburg

I also agree somewhat to this, although playing this out really isn't a big deal. His replacement in the rotation was Detwiler. He gave them a really good start and got the win. You take away Detwiler's win and give them a Strasburg win? That might be fair. But then what? Do you take away a Gio Gonzalez start for a second Strasburg start. Gio and Stras are about equal in my book this season. In fact, I would argue that Gio was better and better suited for post-season play too.

The Nats were good down the stretch after Stras had been shutdown. Did the Reds catch a break and catch them for top of the NL.
Also, keep in mind that the Cards had just beaten the hottest pitcher in the majors in ATL.

Quote:

not having to face Melky Cabrera

Does that mean that every team that played the Giants after Aug. 15th got a big break? But wait, the Giants went 29-14 with a suspended Melky. They actually got a ton better after his suspension. The Dodgers should have appealed that suspension. Bad break for them.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/22/12 12:45 PM

Everyone likes to talk about Strasburg, but did you see his numbers down the stretch? Not really all that impressive. His ERA was in the high 3's after the All-Star Break and he gave up 25ER in his last 10 starts of the year (54 innings).

Re: Playofffs. - 10/22/12 08:26 PM

The Giants can literally do no wrong.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/22/12 08:36 PM

Quote:

The Giants can literally do no wrong.

Turnabout is fair play. One year later.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/22/12 08:46 PM

You are pegging 1 game and 1 inning.

The Giants have gotten some crazy bounces for 3 straight games (plus 3 in a row from Cincinnati).

That broken bat hit from Pence hit the bat THREE TIMES and put a wild spin that tailed away from Kozma. They had 2 other infield hits that inning!

Re: Playofffs. - 10/22/12 10:24 PM

Well, it was a nice run for the Cardinals. Not many people expected them to make it this far post-Pujols.

Same goes for San Fran, can this hot streak/lucky streak, whatever you want to call it continue?

I picked the Tigers to win the WS when this started and I'll stick with it. I think they sweep the Giants. The Giants rotation to start the WS is a mess.
Posted by: CrimsonNBlue

Re: Playofffs. - 10/22/12 11:10 PM

Call it luck or crazy bounces or whatever you want, but your team just had a 3-1 lead and then got outscored 20-1 over the next 3.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/22/12 11:13 PM

It was a perfect storm of events. Ask Cincinnati.

Cardinals go 1-20 with RISP over the last 3 games, a few untimely errors, some lucky bounces, and boom. Giants take the series. That's baseball.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/23/12 12:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Bahahaha.. Great rebuttal.

/sarcasm

The best rebuttal would probably be that of the PED-enhanced Melky Cabrera that carried the Giants offense for much of the year....
Posted by: jaihaux

Re: Playofffs. - 10/23/12 08:36 AM

There is a baseball god. October with the Cardinals is disgusting.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/23/12 09:26 AM

Quote:

There is a baseball god. October with the Cardinals is disgusting.

Yep. The Cardinals can eff themselves. Also, I feel pretty good about picking Frisco over them. Then again, my WS picks initially have gone to [censored].

Re: Playofffs. - 10/23/12 10:24 AM

Looking forward to seeing the awesome banner you guys hang in Kauffman for last night's game.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/23/12 10:28 AM

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triang...nds-zihuatanejo

This is a great piece from Grantland baseball fans will enjoy.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/23/12 10:58 AM

Quote:

Looking forward to seeing the awesome banner you guys hang in Kauffman for last night's game.

I love that you're sticking with this line. You do realize that every reasonably intelligent Royals fan in the world realizes that the Royals are: a) a worse franchise than the Cardinals b) poorer than the Cardinals and c) miles away from being close to the Cardinals in either respect, right?

I told you before. If jealousy was really a problem for me, I wouldn't be a Royals fan.

I hate the Cardinals. I love watching them lose. I love seeing them blow it. And they certainly did in this Frisco series. It's great. Call it Schadenfreude. I just love seeing their douche fan base get knocked down a peg.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/23/12 11:04 AM

Well, if jealousy is not the proper word, then what is? LOL

Re: Playoffs. - 10/23/12 11:26 AM

Quote:

Detroit vs. San Fran.

Giants in 6.

Who is this guy!?

Re: Playoffs. - 10/23/12 11:39 AM

Tigers might be rusty due to the long layoff.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/23/12 04:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I love that you're sticking with this line. You do realize that every reasonably intelligent Royals fan in the world realizes that the Royals are: a) a worse franchise than the Cardinals b) poorer than the Cardinals and c) miles away from being close to the Cardinals in either respect, right?

I told you before. If jealousy was really a problem for me, I wouldn't be a Royals fan.

I hate the Cardinals. I love watching them lose. I love seeing them blow it. And they certainly did in this Frisco series. It's great. Call it Schadenfreude. I just love seeing their douche fan base get knocked down a peg.

Many of my close relatives (parents, grandparents, aunts, cousins, etc) grew up or still live in KC and are/were Royals fans. I know plenty of intelligent and reasonable Royals fans. My second favorite team (if there is such a thing) is the Royals.

But yes, that was just for the few of you here who act anything but intelligent or reasonable. Parodying the stereotypical KU fan mocking the stereotypical KSU fan seemed like the only worthwhile response.

The fact that I have to explain this is a little sad.
Posted by: jaihaux

Re: Playofffs. - 10/25/12 08:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Like K-State football, the Cardinals would probably be tolerable (enjoyable?) if it wasn't for their fans.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/25/12 09:21 PM

ksf93 got 8/10 (cumulative) and actually caused me to write a real response.

As usual, jai gets a 0/10. Yo momma.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/26/12 02:18 PM

Giants look like the team of destiny.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/26/12 02:21 PM

I think they said last night that the team that starts out 2-0, has won 79% of the time. Tigers got some work to do.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/27/12 02:57 PM

79% of the time, they win every time.

Re: Playofffs. - 10/29/12 04:58 PM

Boringest WS I've seen in a while.