KU Baseball: Florida Spring Classic

Posted by: JQKS

KU Baseball: Florida Spring Classic - 03/19/08 12:11 PM

A preview of the Florida Spring Classic tournament is now posted at Rock Chalk Talk:

KU Baseball Preview: Florida Spring Classic

The Jayhawks will be playing eight games in the next five days. There should be a few good contests. KU will face Illinois and Ohio State in single games and then wrap up the week with three against Northwestern.

Bkmhoxx and I will be updating results and news throughout the week at RCT. I am hoping the Hawks bag seven or eight wins over their Spring Break.
Posted by: Smaymo

Re: KU Baseball: Florida Spring Classic - 03/19/08 02:26 PM

It's 2;25pm and I haven't seen anything on gametracker yet. Is the game with Illinois on schedule?

Re: KU Baseball: Florida Spring Classic - 03/19/08 02:29 PM

Hi Smaymo, I don't know any more about it I'm afraid. Maybe the early game went long.

Wish I was there.

Re: KU Baseball: Florida Spring Classic - 03/19/08 02:38 PM

I think this will be a more productive road trip than Hawaii. Hawaii was a shorter time span this year than last and seems like the schedule combined with the long travel was too much rushing around for so early in the season. i am hoping the Hawks get in some quality playing time in warm weather and come back eager and ready to start Big 12 play.

Re: KU Baseball: Florida Spring Classic - 03/19/08 03:44 PM

I still am getting nothing from Gametracker, however I did just learn that not all the KU players could make it to Florida in time. The team was not traveling in one group and there were several weather cancelations in Dallas. Hopefully the Hawks are playing now and they have a nice roster with which to work.

Re: KU Baseball: Florida Spring Classic - 03/19/08 03:51 PM

I emailed Marcia Bagby. I think gametracker is not working properly as the Missouri game on game tracker stalled out at the bottom of the first. Marcia called Coach Price's wife and the following was the response:

"Just called Coach's wife. It is 4-2 Illinois in the top of the 3rd. We
are the home team.

MB"
Posted by: bkmhoxx

Re: KU Baseball: Florida Spring Classic - 03/19/08 04:10 PM

6-2 Illinois

Re: KU Baseball: Florida Spring Classic - 03/19/08 04:14 PM

bkmhoxx
Do you you who is and or was pitching?

Re: KU Baseball: Florida Spring Classic - 03/19/08 04:17 PM

all i know is that Hall was the starter

Re: KU Baseball: Florida Spring Classic - 03/19/08 06:07 PM

Any final score on the Illinois game?

Re: KU Baseball: Florida Spring Classic - 03/19/08 09:05 PM

We lost 11-9 but Bochy and Smyth were strong out of the bullpen. Goota have better starts for them to close in order to win. Hitting appears to be rolling right along/

Illinois 11 - KU 9 - 03/19/08 10:49 PM

I finally had a chance to see this final score. It hurts to lose a game like this. Illinois is not a bad team, but KU needs to consistantly beat "okay" clubs if they are going to make a case for an NCAA invite.

Here is the boxscore:
http://kuathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2007-2008/ku19.html

Several good individual performances. Casey Larson, John Allman, Ryne Price, Joe Southers and Brett Bochy. The pitching let the team down today. Shaeffer Hall finally had an off start and Bollman could not pick him up. The Hawks scored enough runs to win on most days.
Posted by: sevenyearhawk

Re: Illinois 11 - KU 9 - 03/19/08 11:33 PM

*grumble*
Posted by: bubear09

Re: Illinois 11 - KU 9 - 03/19/08 11:54 PM

Illinois is a shaky team. I saw them play down in Waco a few weeks ago during the QTI Classic. Baylor put 20 up on them, and they lost all three games in the Tournament including defeats to SFA and Illinois-Chicago. They seemed very streaky and prone to poor defense.

Re: Illinois 11 - KU 9 - 03/20/08 06:34 AM

it looks like defense is what cost KU this game. You could also blame the pitching of Hall and Bollman, but 2 more errors from EMo and 1 from Thompson look like it really allowed some damage to be done.

Re: Illinois 11 - KU 9 - 03/20/08 10:33 AM

Not to pile on, but Morrison seems to have caught whatever bug Ryne Price had last year. That is eight errors already this year. I think they have now directly cost KU two games.

I watched the Texas series and he looked outstanding. Maybe it was the turf? Maybe it was being focused for the big games? I don't know but it is frustrating. I'm sure for him much more than for me. Thompson also committed another error. That gives him six. At this point I would say Thompson's play at third looks a notch under Morrison's work there when he was a freshman.

The early game today looks like it might be rained out. This could be a blessing for the Hawks. Dartmouth is a missable game. And yesterday Kansas had to burn 6.2 innings of bullpen work. Bollman and Bochy are both shot until at least Friday. Bollman threw 68 pitches so he might be out until Saturday. Maybe Price will hold him out now and give him and Shaeffer Hall the last two starts on Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning? They both should be ready to throw another 60-75 pitches by that time I expect.

I notice that Hall has started giving up a lot of homeruns. He gave up two in each of his last two starts. Why? I hate these non-televised road games. It just leaves me looking at box scores and imagining reasons for questions like this one.

OK, I am heading down to watch the basketball game. Go Hawks!

KU 1 - CCSU 1 (4th Inning) - 03/20/08 02:00 PM

KU and CCSU are tied 1-1 in the bottom of the fourth. KU scored in the 2nd on a Buck Afenir Sac Fly. CCSU just tied the score in the bottom of the 4th on a walk, balk and than wild pitch.

Garcia is pitching for the Jayhawks.

KU 1 - CCSU 2 (5th Inning) - 03/20/08 02:07 PM

CCSU tacked on another run in the inning. They took advantage of two errors. Morrison and Thompson.

What a nasty inning. Walk, Balk, Wildpitch, Error, Error. Garcia did well to hold it to only two runs.

Re: KU 3 - CCSU 2 (5th Inning) - 03/20/08 02:13 PM

KU pulls ahead in the top of the 5th.
Southers single.
Thompson single.
Faunce on by error, RBI.
Robby Price single. Thompson scored. Faunce makes an out after getting caught between 2nd and 3rd, but his running might have given Thompson the chance to score. (Just guessing there).

Re: KU 3 - CCSU 4 (6th Inning) - 03/20/08 02:28 PM

Garcia gave up a back to back doubles and two more runs in the bottom of the fifth. Matt Lane came in to finish up the inning. KU trails again.

Garcia, 4.2 Innings, six hits, 4/3 runs. 1/3 BB/K. Not a good start against this opponent.

The Dartmouth game will now be played following this game.

Re: KU 6 - CCSU 4 (6th Inning) - 03/20/08 02:35 PM

This is one ugly looking ball game.

Land walks.
Ryne Price single.
EMo single, two runs score on E1.
Afenir single, RBI.

KU up 6-4.

Re: KU 6 - CCSU 4 (6th Inning) - 03/20/08 02:53 PM

IF EMO and Thompson dont cut down on the errors, this team is gonna struggle!

KU 7 - CCSU 4 (7th Inning) - 03/20/08 02:59 PM

Allman singles. Wild pitch moves him to 2nd.
Land RBI double.

T.J. Walz now pitching for KU. Lane goes 1.1 scoreless.

More uglieness in bottom of the inning.
Walk
Single
E6 (Morrison's second today) What was that you were saying a minute ago about Morrison's glove bkm?
CCSU now has bases loaded, no outs.

Re: KU 7 - CCSU 5 (8th Inning) - 03/20/08 03:08 PM

Smyth comes in bases loaded, no outs. Gives up a single. Man on second pegged at the plate trying to score. Ryne Price to Land to Southers.
KU 7 - CCSU 5.

Smyth K's next two batters. Good high leverage pitching from the closer. I like Price using him in this situation. I like to see closers when the game is on the line, not just the 9th.

KU 7 - CCSU 6 (9th Inning) - 03/20/08 03:31 PM

Smyth gives up a run in the bottom of the ninth on two basehits and a wild pitch.

KU went down in order in the top of the 9th.

Smyth out there now trying to end this game.

KU 7 - CCSU 6 FINAL - 03/20/08 03:47 PM

Wow, what an ugly win. But it was a win.

Smyth struck out the final batter with runners at 1st and 2nd and the score 7-6 Hawks.

KU improves to 12-8.

KU three errors, one hit batter, two balks and two wild pitches.

Matt Lane will get the win. Ryne Price had two hits. Afenir two RBIs.

KU will play Dartmouth in a few minutes.

Re: KU 7 - CCSU 6 FINAL - 03/20/08 04:00 PM

lets hope they take a breather and figure this crap out!
I hate that kind of baseball
and most of it is concentration issues

KU 0 - Dartmouth 2 (2nd Inning) - 03/20/08 04:37 PM

Esquibel got the start. He gave up a single to the #3 batter and a homerun to Damon Wright in the first inning.

Dartmouth up 2-0 in the bottom of the second.

KU 0 - Dartmouth 5 (3nd Inning) - 03/20/08 04:59 PM

Second time around for Wright, same result. He hits a three run homerun off Esquibel in the bottom of the third. KU is in trouble against the Ivy Leaguers, 5-0 now. Given bullpen usage yesterday and this morning I expect Price will want to stick with Esquibel for a while.

KU 0 - Dartmouth 5 (3nd Inning) - 03/20/08 05:02 PM

One more note. The Dartmouth pitcher is Russell Young, the same lefty that bkm warned about in his preview. He comes into the game with an ERA under one. The Hawks are going to need to get to him.

KU 2 - Dartmouth 5 (5th Inning) - 03/20/08 05:32 PM

KU scored two runs inthe top of the fifth.

Matt Berner, who got the start at 3B, single, RBI
Casey Larson, started in CF, triple, RBI

Esquibel still pitching.

KU 5 - Dartmouth 5 (6th Inning) - 03/20/08 05:43 PM

Huge sixth inning for the Jayhawks.

Land single.
EMo single.
Afenir, three run jack. Tie game, 5-5.

Re: KU 5 - Dartmouth 5 (6th Inning) - 03/20/08 05:49 PM

My god these guys are playing like crap.
Those travel problems must have really discombobulated those kids

Re: KU 5 - Dartmouth 6 (7th Inning) - 03/20/08 05:53 PM

I expected these two games to be easy wins. Right now they are trailing Dartmouth again, 6-5. Wren just hit a homerun. The third Esquibel has given up today.

Re: KU 5 - Dartmouth 6 (7th Inning) - 03/20/08 06:34 PM

Bollman with the save
8-6 KU win over Dartmouth

hopefully tomorrow will be much beter!

KU 8 - Dartmouth 6 FINAL - 03/20/08 06:53 PM

Whew, I'm glad we took both games. This was a much more interesting day of baseball than I wanted it to be.

Esquibel plays bulldog and fights through eight innings for the win. 9 hits, six runs, 1/7 BB/K.

Larson had a great game. 4-5. Robby Price and Buck Afenir both had two hits and three RBIs. Preston Land had two hits. Matt Berner took advantage of some rare playing time and went 1-4 with a run and an RBI. He handled three balls at third without error.

Let's hope tomorrow comes with less drama. Ohio State is probably the best team KU will face.

KU improves to 13-8.

Re: KU 8 - Dartmouth 6 FINAL - 03/20/08 08:48 PM

not bad ...

thanks for the updates!

Thursday Recap - 03/20/08 09:52 PM

Thursday Recap and Dartmouth Boxscore

Coming into this tournament I knew the Jayhawk pitching staff would be stretched to its limit. That was before the rough handling it received in the first three games. KU still has five more games to play in three days, and I donít know how Price is going to manage his staff.

Shaeffer Hall threw 61 pitches on Wednesday. I expect Price would like to bring him back to pitch the final game against Northwestern. If so, he is off the board.

Brett Bollman threw 68 pitches on Wednesday, and then came in on Thursday to pitch the ninth inning of the Dartmouth game, 9 more pitches. This is probably the most work his arm has gotten in about three years. I expect he will be used again during the trip, but he is in uncharted territory.

Brett Bochy threw 28 pitches on Wednesday. He should be good for a few more appearances this week.

Paul Smyth threw 14 pitches on Wednesday and 54 on Thursday. He can handle a surprisingly heavy load for a closer, but you have to figure Price will only go to him for a few more innings in Florida.

Hiarali Garcia started a game on Thursday and threw 71 pitches. He probably is out until Saturday at the earliest, more likely Sunday.

Matt Lane threw 19 pitches on Thursday. He should be fine for innings over the weekend.

T.J. Walz threw 15 pitches on Thursday. He should be good as well.

Andres Esquibel in all likelihood is done for the week. He was a horse in only his second start of the year, throwing 110 pitches on Thursday. Esquibel and Garcia are the two key long relievers in the bullpen and neither will be able to throw more than a handful of additional pitches during the tournament.

Clearly Price is saving Nick Czyz, Sam Freeman and Wally Marciel for three of the five remaining starts. Assuming Hall takes another start, that leaves one final game needing to be covered. Iíll speculate here Ė Matt Lane or Daniel Manos will start the UMBC game tomorrow?

So, what does that leave in the pen for the next five days? Daniel Manos, Max Ellenbecker and Thomas Marcin are all fresh. T.J. Walz and Brett Bochy are available. Garcia, Smyth and Bollman have already seen a lot of work. Bottom line, either the starters are going to need to give seven or eight good innings each pretty much from here forward - or Manos, Ellenbecker and Marcin are going to need to win some games.

Re: Thursday Recap - 03/20/08 10:55 PM

I think that we can't discount the fact that out of their first 21 games only 5 have been played at home. Travel does tend to wear on a team. By the time they get back it will be 5 home games out of the first 26. Whereas teams such as Arizona State play their first 28 (or maybe it was 25 ) games all at home without travel.Being at home is supposed to be an advantage and the team definitley will be more rested. I am looking for a big improvement in play once the Jayhawks return to Hoglund. We will see.

Re: Thursday Recap - 03/21/08 12:37 AM

Quote:

I think that we can't discount the fact that out of their first 21 games only 5 have been played at home. Travel does tend to wear on a team. By the time they get back it will be 5 home games out of the first 26. Whereas teams such as Arizona State play their first 28 (or maybe it was 25 ) games all at home without travel.Being at home is supposed to be an advantage and the team definitley will be more rested. I am looking for a big improvement in play once the Jayhawks return to Hoglund. We will see.

This is a good point. After this road trip 21 of the of the last 34 games will be at home.

What is ironic about this Florida tournament, the weather is actually perfect here in Kansas for baseball. 60's and sunny. While there at the tournament a few games were canceled or delayed due to rain.

Re: Dartmouth prospects - 03/21/08 08:53 AM

Ku faced their best pitchers and definitely hit well.
Russell Young is the big senior lefty that i think could have a chance to be drafted. He pitched 8.2 innings and Ku got 8 earned runs off of him but the part that scouts like is that he also struck out 7 Jayhawks. So when you put together a 6'4, 205 frame, a lefty and the ability to strike guys out, then they WILL look at you.
Ku also faced Kyle Zeis (the closer) but he only faced 1 batter so that isnt even worth discussion.

Damon Wright is one guy i did NOT list as a prospect and he tore KU apart. He went 4-4 with 2HR, 5rbi and 2 runs scored. I consider Wright to be a nice college player but i still dont see him being drafted. He batted .303 last year with 1HR, 22rbi and 8sb. He plays center field and does have some speed and size (6'3,205). He has very little power thus far but has shown a decent ability to hit for average (.377 in 06) so i guess someone could take a late round flyer on him. We will have to wait and see how his season progresses.

Will Delawter will be the bat to avoid today in the UMBC lineup.

Re: Ohio st. prospects - 03/21/08 08:59 AM

Not sure who the starter for Ohio St. will be today.
They have several nice pitchers. DeLucia and Shuck are both good pitchers and both are strikeout pitchers too. The closers are Rucinski and Best and they are both pretty good. As far as bats to watch for are Justin Miller, Tony Kennedy and Shuck. All 3 have good sticks. This one may be a tough win the way we have been playing thus far down in Bradenton.
Posted by: queenv11

Re: KU Baseball: Florida Spring Classic - 03/21/08 09:10 AM

It doesn't happen often, but did you hear where the
1st base ump. called out a kid, Coach Tucker argued the call, and the ump behind the plate agreed with Coach Tucker, and called the kid safe. WOW...

Re: KU Baseball: Florida Spring Classic - 03/21/08 10:37 AM

Quote:

It doesn't happen often, but did you hear where the
1st base ump. called out a kid, Coach Tucker argued the call, and the ump behind the plate agreed with Coach Tucker, and called the kid safe. WOW...

Hi Queen, do you remember when this happened in the game? It is uncommon. Those umpires have to work together and don't like stepping on each others toes.

Re: KU Baseball: Florida Spring Classic - 03/21/08 10:40 AM

Starter vs. Ohio State. I am expecting Marciel.

Just guesswork here:
Ohio State - Marciel
UMBC - Manos (or Lane)
Northwestern Saturday - Czyz
Northwestern Saturday - Freeman
Northwestern Sunday - Hall

Re: KU Baseball: Florida Spring Classic - 03/21/08 10:50 AM

Yes, it certainly is a rare thing to revise a call.
Sorry. not sure exactly what inning it happened, but
it sparked the team to a win!

Kansas 0 - Ohio State 2 (5th Inning) - 03/21/08 02:10 PM

I just had a chance to check in on the game. Marciel is starting for Kansas. The Buckeyes led 2-0 in the top of the 5th inning. KU has had a lot of baserunners but failed to bring any home so far.

KU 0 - Ohio State 5 (5th Inning) - 03/21/08 02:18 PM

Things are going horribly wrong for Wally in the fifth. He gave up six consecutive singles to open the inning. OSU now up 5-0 with bases loaded and no outs.

Re: KU 0 - Ohio State 5 (5th Inning) - 03/21/08 02:45 PM

I think our starting pitching has started slipping a bit lately. Hopefully the hitting, which worked out for us yesterday, will step up and save the day.

Re: KU 4 - Ohio State 12 (6th Inning) - 03/21/08 02:59 PM

The Hawks are in a lot of trouble in this one. Middle of the 6th and they now trail 12-4. Eric Morrison hit a three run home run in the bottom of the fifth inning. Bochy came in to pitch the 6th and gave up a grand slam to Macke.

I will be gone for a while. Hopefully when I check back in KU will have staged a huge rally.

Re: KU 4 - Ohio State 12 (6th Inning) - 03/21/08 03:01 PM

Wow. I don't think we can come back on this one. I am concerned about our pitching moving ahead. I initially worreid about our hitting then it came around. If things go in cycles, I am hoping pitching and hitting will gel together at some time.

Re: KU 4 - Ohio State 12 (6th Inning) - 03/21/08 04:03 PM

We gave up a lot of hits. You won't win too many games giving up 20 hits. We have got to do better than this next weekend.

KU 5 - Ohio State 16 FINAL - 03/21/08 04:11 PM

Well, less said about this one the better. A real beat-down.

KU plays UMBC this evening. Hopefully that one will go better. It almost has to.

Marciel, Bochy and Marcin all hit hard by the Buckeyes.

KU falls to 13-9. They are now 2-2 in Florida.

A few Big-12 finals of note - 03/21/08 05:21 PM

Yesterday Texas beat Texas Tech 22-6. Yeah, 22-6.

Nebraska just got a walk off home run in the bottom of the 9th and defeated Oklahoma in Lincoln. The Huskers are now 4-0 and are playing out of their minds good baseball.

KU 0 - UMBC 0 (3rd Inning) - 03/21/08 06:34 PM

T.J. Walz was given the start, which surprised me. So far he is pitching very well. Four strikeouts in the first two innings. KU is getting little done at the plate. Justin Ellrich single is the only hit in the first three innings.

Ellrich at 1B, Berner at 3B, Jimmy Waters at DH.

KU 1 - UMBC 1 (5th Inning) - 03/21/08 07:03 PM

Score tied in the middle of the fifth. KU scored in the top of the inning:
Ryne Price double.
Morrison single.
Waters hits into DP, Price scores.

Walz is still pitching. He is doing well it would appear. Four innings, five hits, one run, 2/4 BB/K. The run off him came in the bottom of the fourth. Hopefully he still has some steam. The Hawks could really use a few more innings out of him.

Ryne Price - New KU Homerun King! - 03/21/08 07:27 PM

Ryne Price just drove an 0-1 offering over the right center feild fence to give KU a 3-1 lead. It was Ryne Price's 30th career homerun, breaking the old record of 29 held by Travis Metcalf.

Congratulations to Ryne here. Now let's get a win!

KU 4 - UMBC 1 (8th Inning) - 03/21/08 07:49 PM

T.J. Walz finally came out. He gave KU it's best pitching performance of the tournment so far. 6.2 Innings, 7 hits, 1 run, 2/5 BB/K. Great work from an unexpected source.

Bollman is in now to pitch the bottom of the eighth.

KU 4 - UMBC 1 FINAL - 03/21/08 08:08 PM

KU wins the nightcap. Hats off to T.J. Walz, who pitched a great game when KU needed it most. He gets the win, Paul Smyth pitched a perfect ninth for his fourth save.

Ryne Price provided all the offense needed with a two run homerun.

KU improves to 14-9. They are now 3-2 in this tournament. Tomorrow they open their three game seres with Northwestern.

Re: KU 4 - UMBC 1 FINAL - 03/22/08 07:44 AM

thanks as always JQKS!

Next weekend is the home conference opener, correct?

Re: KU 4 - UMBC 1 FINAL - 03/22/08 09:31 AM

Quote:

thanks as always JQKS!

Next weekend is the home conference opener, correct?

Hi 7, yes, the Hawks come home on Tuesday. They play Chicago State on Tuesday and Wednesday. That weekend Texas A&M will be in town. A&M is tough. They might be better than Texas. If KU can take two of the three it will be huge.

KU vs Northwester (Rain Delay) - 03/22/08 01:07 PM

The first game against Northwestern is in a rain delay right now.

Re: KU vs Northwester (Rain Delay) - 03/22/08 01:49 PM

Thanks, I was wondering what happened to the game.
Hopefully, they can get it in..

KU vs Northwestern Canceled - 03/22/08 04:23 PM

Today's doubleheader vs. Northwestern has been canceled. The teams will try to play a single game tomorrow at 8AM CST.

KU added a game in April vs. NAIA St. Mary's. These cancelations give KU two more openings on their schedule. I believe Wichita State can add additional games now as well. It would be great if the Jayhawks and the Shockers expanded their series from two to four games. Home and home double-headers? Or just four individual midweek games?

KU 7 vs Northwestern 8 (3rd Inning) - 03/23/08 09:23 AM

KU and Northwestern started their game today at 8AM CST (9AM in Florida). Coffee and baseball.

Apparently the pitchers did not have enough coffee. Both starters were knocked out early. Nick Czyz was replaced by Shaeffer Hall in the 2nd inning. His final line , 1 inning, 4 hits, 7/6 runs, 3/1 BB/K. Fielding has been an issue again. Three Jayhawk errors. Two by Afenir and one by EMo.

At least the KU bats are alive. The Jayhawks scored seven runs in the first three innings and only trail by a run. As long as KU is only playing this one game today than Sam Freeman should be available for relief work.

KU 9 vs Northwestern 8 (4th Inning) - 03/23/08 09:36 AM

Afenir two run homerun in top of fourth. KU back in front.

Buck is 3-3 for 5 RBIs already.

KU 9 vs Northwestern 9 (5th Inning) - 03/23/08 09:42 AM

Lashmett of Northwestern hit a solo homerun to CF off Shaeffer Hall in the bottom of the 4th inning. Tie game.

Florida has been a graveyard for KU pitching this week.

Re: KU 9 vs Northwestern 11 (6th Inning) - 03/23/08 09:57 AM

Sam Freeman came in to pitch the 6th inning. He retired the first two batters on line drives, which is a bit worrisome. Sam is at his best when he is getting ground outs. The next two batters, single and homerun to RF.

Northwestern 11-9.

A few lineup notes. Ryne Price at DH, Casey Larson in RF.
Afenir and Land have swapped places in the line-up. Afenir to clean-up, Land to 7th. Hate to see that, but Afenir has had a much hotter bat this season.

KU 11 vs Northwestern 11 (6th Inning) - 03/23/08 10:17 AM

KU tied it back up in the top of the sixth.
Faunce single.
Robby Price HBP.
Allman single. RBI
Ryne Price single. RBI

Bollman pitching in the bottom of the inning.

Re: KU 9 vs Northwestern 11 (6th Inning) - 03/23/08 10:21 AM

this tournament has been a cluster fu*k!
It all started with the travel delays
the pitching has stunk
the defense has stunk
the rain has been terrible

get back home and beat them Aggies!

KU 11 vs Northwestern 11 (7th Inning) - 03/23/08 10:32 AM

Quote:

this tournament has been a cluster fu*k!
It all started with the travel delays
the pitching has stunk
the defense has stunk
the rain has been terrible

get back home and beat them Aggies!

It it frustrating that we can't see these games. They have not played well at all according to results, but it is hard to know what exactly is going wrong. I can't wait for that A&M series. How well Marciel, Czyz and Freeman pitch will be huge. They all have gone from brillant to horrible week to week.

Re: KU 11 vs Northwestern 11 (7th Inning) - 03/23/08 10:42 AM

well now KU basketball is on Friday night
so that takes me away from the baseball game

KU 12 vs Northwestern 11 (8th Inning) - 03/23/08 10:58 AM

KU scored a run in the top of the eighth to take a 12-11 lead.

With two outs Ryne Price doubled, Morrison brought him home with a single to left.

Paul Smyth now pitching. Come on Hawks! Hold on to this one.

KU 12 vs Northwestern 11 FINAL - 03/23/08 11:17 AM

Smyth pitches a perfect 8th and 9th to final bring Northwestern under control. Bollman gets the win, Smyth the save.

A lot of offense. Afenir had 5 RBIs. Allman, Ryne Price and Larson each had two.

KU finishes with a 4-2 record in Florida. Disappointing, but not Hawaii part deux. The Hawks improve to 15-9. Next up, two at home vs. Chicago State. Tuesday and Wednesday.

Re: KU 12 vs Northwestern 11 FINAL - 03/23/08 02:12 PM

hmm ...

well, I hope the guys can continue to improve.

I guess the A&M series should be a good early barometer on the season, is that right JQKS?

Re: KU 12 vs Northwestern 11 FINAL - 03/23/08 04:02 PM

Quote:

hmm ...

well, I hope the guys can continue to improve.

I guess the A&M series should be a good early barometer on the season, is that right JQKS?

I think so. The Hawks have been inconsistent with their early test games.

When they face second tier programs, okay but not very strong teams, KU needs to win consistently if they are going to impress the selection committee. They beat Missouri State and Iowa. Maybe we could include Northwestern in this group as well. They lost to Ohio State and Illinois. By splitting these games the Hawks are basically establishing themselves as belonging to this pack. And this pack does not play in June. Those three losses in Hawaii also are an anchor.

On the plus side, KU taking one of three in Austin is a clear plus. I know that may seem odd, but I expect most people who follow the Big-12 would have given KU about a 40% chance of getting a single win, and almost no chance of winning two. So even the one win helped the team significantly.

I expect they will have an RPI around 120 again on Monday. They need to get it down to around 50 and post at least 13 Big-12 wins if they have post-season dreams.

The A&M series will be huge. If they win two of three in Lawrence it will mean ten times more to the team than would have beating both Ohio State and Illinois this week. If they only take one of three it will probably hurt a bit.

Anyway, that is how I see the whole situation. Maybe I am missing some important elements. One point I probably havenít given enough weight so far is that KU has played 22 of its 26 NCAA games so far on the road. From here forward the Hawks will be at home about two thirds of the remaining games. This will help.

Re: KU 12 vs Northwestern 11 FINAL - 03/23/08 07:04 PM

KU basketball plays at 8:40 on Friday night
So it appears the baseball game should be ok for attendance, at least in the first hour or so of the game.

KU 12 vs Northwestern 11 FINAL - 03/23/08 07:17 PM

It is a shame the home Big-12 opener falls at the same time as the Sweet-16 game, but I much prefer this to the basketball team taking an early exit. I wonder if there is any chance they will move the start time back to 4 or 5PM?

Re: KU 12 vs Northwestern 11 FINAL - 03/23/08 09:16 PM

In depressing news, Mizzou swept Baylor today
Mizzou might just be the best team in the nation if they can continue this dominance. And their ace, Aaron Crow is looking more and more like he will be one of the top 5 picks in the MLB draft, possibly even #1 over Pedro Alvarez. And there would be a chance he is selected by our own KC Royals as well.

Re: KU 12 vs Northwestern 11 FINAL - 03/26/08 01:44 PM

Aaron Crow is putting up some impressive numbers but long term I think he may end up with some shoulder problems. I am not sure how he used to pitch before really jumping up his velocity in the Cape Cod League. I watched a You tube clip of him pitching. When he pitches he raises his elbows above his shoulder line and forms what is called an "inverted W" with his arms. I remember how everyone said how smooth Mark Prior looked and he was a can't miss prospect but he delivered the ball the same way. He has had many injury problems since entering pro ball. It seems that often, the pitchers that use this technique end up battling elbow and shoulder injuries. I wish all the best to Aaron Crow but I hope his mechanics don't spell an early professional demise for him. There is a pitching mechanics analyst named Chris O'Leary who has made quite a study of pitcher arm injuries and he has several articles that can be found on the interent with a very comprehensive breakdown of some MLB pitchers.

Re: KU 12 vs Northwestern 11 FINAL - 03/26/08 02:35 PM

Smaymo

i have read O'Leary's breakdwns several times and yes, he knows what he is talking about. I also agree with Crows odd delivery, however, i still think he will get drafted in the top 5. Some teams may try to alter his delivery or make him a closer immediately. But a guy throwing in the mid 90's with 3 plus pitches will always have teams salivating over him.

Re: KU 12 vs Northwestern 11 FINAL - 03/26/08 02:55 PM

bkmhoxx

I agree that he will go in the top 5 and maybe top three if he continues at the clip he is going. I think the only two college players that might prede him are Matusz and Alvarez. High school players could be Hosmer, Cole and Melville. I think the pros might choose Melville ahead of Crow due to size, projectibility and the fact that he has been a mid 90'dspitcher longer than Crow. It seems that not many pitchers go the full nine innings, let alone pitch shutouts. Wish Kansas could have signed tise local product. What happened to his brother who signed at Mizzou a year behind Aaron? Also, I notice that you are from Eudora. My son, Lee, said that he had heard that Kelson Boyer was attendong Free State but not going to play baseball his senior year.Any word on that?
Thanks

Re: KU 12 vs Northwestern 11 FINAL - 03/27/08 09:01 AM

no word on Boyer.
I will look into it