One Down, Two To Go

Posted by: Jayhawk1952

One Down, Two To Go - 06/10/19 02:04 PM

Isaiah Moss just committed to KU as a graduate transfer from Iowa. Sounds like he can help us as a three point shooter. Two more scholarships available. We should learn Wednesday what Jalen Wilson has decided. Sounds like he can be a help to us as well. We already have a great team assembled for this coming year, these two can help make it a bit stronger. Self would have one scholarship left. He may use it or sit on it for someone special for next year. Time will tell.
Posted by: PHOGUSHER

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 06/10/19 02:58 PM

What no 40000 word diatribe...good job. Yes Moss we needed that guy...Wilson would be nice but I am not holding my breath...I think we are pretty solid as is...nomsayin...
Posted by: madcapper

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 06/10/19 03:54 PM

I hope we get the big guy

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 06/10/19 04:33 PM

With Moss and Wilson, our team would be really hard for others to deal with. Great depth with both guards and forwards/posts. Good shooters from all areas of the court. A monster under the bucket extremely hard to stop. Double up on him and it opens up our mid-range and 3-point shooters. Double up on them and it opens up our men under. the basket. The one area that I really hope we can get back to is Bill Self's way of defense. If we can have a whole team that defends like Garrett, watch out! Keep in mind how we started out last year at full strength.
Posted by: AlOerter

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 06/10/19 06:08 PM

Isaiah Moss come on down. Shooters welcome.

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 06/10/19 06:19 PM

He scored 19 pts in 96 seconds in a B10 game last season...thats legit...
Posted by: TheStarhawk

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 06/11/19 05:13 AM

yeah I agree with everything said. its super exciting to have him come here. and he might not be as Michael Jordan but he is 6'6" and people say he is a future NBA prospect. very glad we get these guys nobody is talking about. absolutely fine by me. Would really like to get Jalen Wilson. His brother was great in college. I love getting the low key guys not the Grimes, RJ, Selby types which are billed up to be great but are not.

I think we seriously have some team oriented players for next year non ego people who just want to see the team win which is great. not so much last year.

I don't understand those who dislike transfer kids. These guys are proven with experience in college. they are totally more hit than miss. I love transfers!

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 06/11/19 02:06 PM

Keeping my fingers crossed for the possibility of the second scholarship being filled in 24 hours if Wilson makes his announcement as he said.

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 06/11/19 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: TheStarhawk
yeah I agree with everything said. its super exciting to have him come here. and he might not be as Michael Jordan but he is 6'6" and people say he is a future NBA prospect. very glad we get these guys nobody is talking about. absolutely fine by me. Would really like to get Jalen Wilson. His brother was great in college. I love getting the low key guys not the Grimes, RJ, Selby types which are billed up to be great but are not.

I think we seriously have some team oriented players for next year non ego people who just want to see the team win which is great. not so much last year.

I don't understand those who dislike transfer kids. These guys are proven with experience in college. they are totally more hit than miss. I love transfers!

Grad transfers are a different story...somebody like Grimes is the same old story...things did not work out like he thought it would so he bailed...he actually got fatter at KU under Hudy....think whats going to happen in Texas with mama's home cooking close by...kid wil never sniff the NBA..

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 06/12/19 07:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Jayhawk1952
With Moss and Wilson, our team would be really hard for others to deal with. Great depth with both guards and forwards/posts. Good shooters from all areas of the court. A monster under the bucket extremely hard to stop. Double up on him and it opens up our mid-range and 3-point shooters. Double up on them and it opens up our men under. the basket. The one area that I really hope we can get back to is Bill Self's way of defense. If we can have a whole team that defends like Garrett, watch out! Keep in mind how we started out last year at full strength.

I like your take 52. but I still feel very questionable about this team. There always feels something missing with Bill's teams. I never felt that with Roy. I always felt strongly Roy's teams played with confidence and played like their coach with pride and spirited. Roy's teams (I'm sort of young) I don't remember them all that well but I remember his offenses were stellar and took his teams deep into the tournament. Historically speaking. Bill's defenses were what allowed our offense to be potent, but with recruiting woes over the years, plus an ncaa investigation I would say that this isn't the case anymore and he has had to adapt to changes in college basketball and permanent trends in the global game like the: 4 guard lineup and 3 pointers and the point forward players.

We ultimately will lack experience next year for a deep tournament run. And I still don't feel great about shooting even with Moss, lets say Wilson comes here too, do these guys have the mental fortitude of a champion? I don't care what their skills are billed out to be. Can these guys grow up and win some close games... that will be the question I have. I strongly feel this team is missing one more piece! we have some weaknesses still even with WILSON one I can think of other than experience is shooting, and chemistry these guys have never played with each other! I hope bill does a better coaching job because last years team was an embarrassment.

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 06/12/19 08:59 AM

Really dont know why you think we wont have enough experience for a deep tourney run...Dok has experience...Silvio has experience...Dotson has experience...Garrett has experience...Moss has experience with a different system. So all 5 potential starters have experience...at least more than Duke or Kentucky who will be throwing 3-4 freshmen on the court...I think this upcoming squad has a great chance to make the F4....

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 06/12/19 10:09 AM

Starhawk, I strongly disagree with you. While I believe Roy was/is a great coach and did us quite well, Bill has done us even better. This is considering their regular season and post season results. I'm not going into any detail as i've readied a post that will give you a good comparison. KU basketball has seen its best basketball during the past 36 years and it has gotten better with each susceeding coach. It will be posted soon.

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 06/12/19 10:12 AM

This year's team has the potential to be one of our best teams ever.

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 06/12/19 10:33 AM

Starhawk is somewhat correct....with Roys totally loaded teams 97..98..02...03...they blew the mediocre teams out like they should...Bill totally loaded teams at times lost to mediocre teams they should never lose to...OSU and T Tech comes to mind.

Both lost with loaded teams early in the tournament...Roi in 98 to Rhode Island...Utep in 92...Bill losing to UNI with the Morris twins might be the biggest choke job of his KU coaching career.

So Star might be correct because Bill has lost to more mediocre teams in his 16 yrs with more consistent better talent..Rpi getting us to the 91 and 93 F4s with 3 star talent was an amazing accomplishment. Bills dominance over Roy straight up cancels that out...I say they are pretty much equal....

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 06/12/19 11:43 AM

According to a number of posters on this board, the only thing that counts are national championships. Roy had 0 and Bill has 1 at KU. For some that settles it. Confidentially, I don't ascribe to that. Roy did have some teams that should have won it all, especially the 1997 and 2003 teams. Of course the same can be said of Bill. Perhaps the national championship does tip the scale in Bill's favor.

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 06/12/19 11:52 AM

That doesnt settle it...Roys 4-3 F4 appearances equates this...I get it Bill vs Roy straight up is a big deal...but Roi at UNC with 3 titles in the same time span with similar talent makes it a debatable matter on who is the better coach....

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 06/12/19 12:57 PM

I'm only referring to KU time. But if you want to bring their total resume, Bill took over three different programs that were down, two of them really in bad shape and turned them around to reach new heights. Roy inherited two schools with great tradition. Bill started at the bottom and worked his way up.

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 06/12/19 03:13 PM

Two down and one to go! With the commitment of Wilson to take the second of our remaining scholarships, we only have one to go. As a team we appear to be sitting pretty. So does Self. He now has a great looking team as it is with a scholarship sitting in his pocket for whomever or whatever. It's a great day to be a Jayhawk!

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 06/12/19 04:26 PM

I hope the last one is the 6'10" french guy, it would be a well rounded recruiting class. One i like

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 06/12/19 04:48 PM

Jalen Jayhawk! Jayhawks rock!

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 06/12/19 06:46 PM

The point of my post wasn't to argue bill vs roy. I like both. I will always like roy over bill if I had the picking. but bill is amazing too. We are truly fortunate from the coaching perspective. I do question strong bills recruiting strategies of late. But I understand his struggles and long run It will benefit us from a team perspective to have 4 stars buy into the program.

Now: concerning next years team yes they have the potential for a great run final 4. but how great a team this will be will be determined by chemistry, their shooting, and being experienced not relying on dok and de Sousa fully. who is going to step up to make big plays when it counts? Thats what I'm worried about. I'm still not fully sold. Maybe last year was that traumatic for me. I'm sick of getting destroyed by lowly schools like Auburn, Villanova, Tech by the long bomb. Its getting ridiculous. Does bill not know how to change defenses and can our players play with a fire in their belly?
Posted by: INation

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 06/12/19 07:07 PM

These last two recruiting classes are what I like to see. Not really any of them look to be one and done type players. Plus the balance in height and positions will make this team a very experienced and cohesive unit in a year or two.
Posted by: SFBayhawk

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 06/12/19 08:23 PM

Roy at KU: Revisionist history. Roy never won an NC at KU. Before his next to last year, when he made the FF, there was a LOT of grumbling on the home front of Roy's blowing it, especially in '97 to UA and '98 to RHODE ISLAND!?! ('97 was the biggest choke in my history of watching KU ball since the sixties.) Maybe '98 can be explained as Jim Harrick was RI's coach before being run out of bball. Anyhow, Roy's tears at post tournament losses "fer the keeds" was also a joke. By the way, Roy getting waxed by Maryland in the 01-02 semi finals was also an incredible choke. Roy was looking in the air as Heinrich was trying to rally the huddle. They were behind a whole 7 points?

I can't imagine Bill in the Memphis game quitting when he sees John the Oil Can on the opposing bench.

Roy also appeased Deano by never recruiting east of the Mississippi. Those boys were for his girl friend, UNC. Two best old videos (utube?) would be Stankum Monkee on Roy's shoulder and Roy's entourage bailing up the back stairs at AFH (Hasse is among the traitors) going to Cackalackie.

"Dean...I'm home".

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 06/12/19 09:39 PM

97 was not a choke job considering that Zona team won it all....losing to Rhode Island in round of 32 was a big time choke but I kind of attribute that to the OKC curse...Utep loss in the round of 32 was a choke job also...

Roi downfall at KU was the 9 yr stretch between F4 appearances due partly to his poor recruiting efforts. He never would go head to head for east coast recruits against his mentor Dean Smith..oh I just reread SF post and he mentioned that Roi never recruited east of the old muddy....
Posted by: moose1

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 06/12/19 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: INation
These last two recruiting classes are what I like to see. Not really any of them look to be one and done type players. Plus the balance in height and positions will make this team a very experienced and cohesive unit in a year or two.

Huh? Grimes was predicted, and Dotson probably would not be too far behind.

Other than that I tend to agree with you especially on this class. I am ready to try having some high quality players that will stick around, and that you can build around.

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 07/16/19 11:50 PM

And now we're down to zero scholarships. Dajuan Harris, a 3 * point guard, has accepted our final one for 2019-2020. Sounds like he might be a good one to have and perhaps a four year one at that.

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 07/17/19 09:03 AM

Guy might be a Graham type player or a Charlie Moore type player....dont like Self giving early schollies to 3 star players. We are KU and should offer to the best of the best only...take the 3 stars if their the only resort. Ya dont see Duke offering schollies to 90nth ranked Rivals guys early or ever...thats what the KSucks of the world recruits..

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 07/17/19 09:52 AM

Guess that's the joy and sorrow of recruiting. You never know for sure what you are getting until it all starts playing out. Giving out stars by the "experts" is only a subjective game. They often miss it as well, either direction.

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 07/17/19 10:48 AM

Tait article said he is a 4 star but either way I'd rather have the young man who wants to be a Jayhawk.

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 07/17/19 11:35 AM

Ok ok...hope he is a Mason instead of a Moore.

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 07/17/19 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: madcapper
Tait article said he is a 4 star but either way I'd rather have the young man who wants to be a Jayhawk.

Tait's first comments in the article are: "Dajuan Harris, a fast-rising 3-star point guard who is destined to crack the Top 100 and earn a 4-star rating from Rivals.com when the updated ratings are released," He is currently a 3* and is expected to become a 4*. Anyway that you look at it he sounds like a good get. If he becomes a Graham or a Mason, I'll be really happy. A Moore, not so much.

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 07/17/19 03:35 PM

A good analysis of Harris at this web site by Tristan Freeman:
https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/07/17/k...-dajuan-harris/

In the same article you can click on another analysis of our other 2019-2020 recruits.

If all of these recruits measure up to their potential, we should have an excellent coming year and beyond.

Re: One Down, Two To Go - 07/17/19 07:26 PM

A kid from Columbia who didn't want to go to Mizzou? He deserves another star just for that.