how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & staff?

Posted by: jayhawker_97

how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & staff? - 03/16/08 10:04 PM

my friend and i both agree that we've got to utilize our guys more to wear out opponents' guards.
one of the examples is today against Tex.
i thought DJ was too exhausted to concentrate on making shots in 2nd half.
great execution by our team. i wasn't sure if that was part of coach Self strategy.
not to mean to outsmart coach, but i think sometimes it's useful if coach hear from fans/observers what might help our team to be a better team.
is there any way to have coach Self listen to our advice/concern/praise?
any more suggestions?
Posted by: elvis151

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & staff? - 03/16/08 10:07 PM

Yeah, I suggest that you don't delude yourself into thinking that Coach Self, and his staff, want, need, or will read your advice......
Posted by: kuhawk2005

Yeah by calling Hawktalk with Bill Self Monday Night. Or e-mail the show via Kuathletics.com
Posted by: BBallplayer12

call him

just kidding i dont know
Posted by: JFish26

I've got one:

Shut up. There's a reason Self gets seven figures to do what he does.
Posted by: ColoHawk2

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & staff? - 03/16/08 10:10 PM

His secretary took e-mails last year at "joanstep@ku.edu"

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/16/08 10:14 PM

thanks to those who responded positively. i knew coach Self wouldn't mind some humble advice from fans/observers. he'll acknowledge the intention. he knows he's not Bonnie.
get it?
Posted by: elvis151

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & staff? - 03/16/08 10:15 PM

I mean, are you serious about this??? We're 31-3, just beat one of the best teams in the country, have a No 1 seed, a 3rd straight Big 12 Title, and you think he needs your advice? Wow.

While you're at it, why don't you run down to the hospital and tell the ER docs how to stitch up a wound; explain to the surgeons that they need to do a better job in surgery and tell them how you would operatel show the nurses what they are doing wron and fix any insurance problems people are having......

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & staff? - 03/16/08 10:19 PM

LOL now thats funny. . .
Posted by: bpritchett

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & staff? - 03/16/08 10:20 PM

And s/he stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
Posted by: LisaT

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & staff? - 03/16/08 10:20 PM

Quote:

my friend and i both agree that we've got to utilize our guys more to wear out opponents' guards.
great execution by our team. i wasn't sure if that was part of coach Self strategy.
not to mean to outsmart coach, but i think sometimes it's useful if coach hear from fans/observers what might help our team to be a better team.
any more suggestions?

I just can't find words to reply here...........silence.....
Posted by: bombDiggiD

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/16/08 10:25 PM

No offense, but don't stop t o think for one second that coach hasn't already thought about your advice.

He has his reasons for what he does.
Posted by: ColdWarKid

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & staff? - 03/16/08 10:25 PM

Quote:

And s/he stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

Now that's f*cking funny.

Come on jayhawker 97, you had to see this one coming with this crowd. I'd just let it roll off your back, and hope most people are already in bed.

Edit/PS: Look at it this way: In my line of work, if a stranger started giving me suggestions on how to do my job, I'd be seriously pissed, I mean, I feel sorry in advance for anyone who ever tries cuz I will unleash on that mofo, I ain't even kidding. And Bill Self has repeatedly said he doesn't care what the public thinks.
Posted by: bombDiggiD

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/16/08 10:33 PM

Quote:

While you're at it, why don't you run down to the hospital and tell the ER docs how to stitch up a wound; explain to the surgeons that they need to do a better job in surgery and tell them how you would operatel show the nurses what they are doing wron and fix any insurance problems people are having......

That's cruel too a guy trying to be serious, but so so funny.......
Posted by: neilster

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/16/08 10:39 PM

Anyone ever lurk on the UNC board? A couple of years ago, someone asked how he could get a play to Roy.
(about 3 pages of ridicule)
He said that Roy would love to have a great play thought of by a fan.
(about 4 pages of ridicule)
He said, no seriously it's an incredible play, it works all the time in his rec. league.
(about 10 pages of ridicule)
Finally he described the play... One guard crosses the other at the top of the key, and when the other card sets a pick, the guard with the ball bounces the ball through the other player's legs, and bam, wide open for the three!

The entire thread was about 30 pages long, the TarHell equivilent to Tuby. Funnies thing I've ever read.
Posted by: WDNR2007

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & staff? - 03/16/08 10:39 PM

Quote:

any more suggestions?

Unless your friend's name is John Wooden, you're better off keeping your trap shut. Trust me. I ASSURE you that you aren't going to tell Self anything he hasn't noticed himself, or heard from one of his assistants.
Posted by: Morgansraider

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & staff? - 03/16/08 10:43 PM

How do I contact Bill Self's wife? I want to tell her how he gave me ANAL WARTS and advise her accordingly.
Posted by: cwf414

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & staff? - 03/16/08 11:15 PM

Somebody ban this guy!
Posted by: CPAHawk

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/16/08 11:18 PM

Son, you'd better just focus on your American History test or maybe work on your science project. It would be a pity to have to repeat 6th grade.
Posted by: njthomas

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/16/08 11:19 PM

I actually figured out how to get my advice heard, once.

It was pretty simple. First, I casually stroll up to Self, while he's eating lunch on campus. Then I say, "you're with me, leather."

Curiously, he looks up. "Stephen A. Smith loves his cheesey doodles?" he asks.

I put my finger to my nose, wink, and say with wisdom in my eyes, "Bang goes the dynamite."
Posted by: hayshawk

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/16/08 11:52 PM

Dude, you really set yourself up on this one. Self has won 80% of his games a KU and had a hell of a good record with lesser talent at other schools. I'm sure he would appreciate your insight and all, but why don't you let him do what he does best which is coaching and you can do what you do best which is watching. If you follow that strategy, I promise, everyone involved will come out winners and you won't even have to stay up late coming up with gameplans for the 31-3 Kansas Jayhawks.
Posted by: jaihaux

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 12:01 AM

I wonder if Bill Self lies in bed at night, thinking to himself:

"Gee, I wonder if anyone at kusports.com has any good ideas on how to beat Portland State and make a run to the Final Four."
Posted by: RockChuck

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & staff? - 03/17/08 12:40 AM

Quote:

How do I contact Bill Self's wife? I want to tell her how he gave me ANAL WARTS and advise her accordingly.

Gutter tells everyone he's Bill Self.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 12:43 AM

lol
Posted by: E4KUJHawks

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & staff? - 03/17/08 03:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

any more suggestions?

I just can't find words to reply here...........silence.....

+1 , I'm with you.........silent pondering........

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 04:22 AM

o'right.. you guys have coached me enough.. i guess i'm too paranoid about facing Clemson and Georgetown in midwest.
i got it. moving on guys.. let's all hope KU will win all the way this year!
Posted by: larryb

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 06:59 AM

I see someone got a hold of my stupid pills over the weekend. It seems a bit obvious 97 is either Irish and "celebrated" a bit too much or got a hold of some of Humbolt Counties finest. I mean seriously 97 - do you think YOU can help Coach Self get KU to the Final Four? The problem is that Coach Self is too kind and sometimes actually does listen to and respond to fans suggestions - although I figure he is yet to use any fan "advice". He should just say - I think I know our team better than the fans do. I appreciate the suggestions but I am getting paid a lot of money to "control" the team and our team is pretty damn good and on our way to San Antonio - Thanks anyways.

So you know for a fact we will face Clemson and/or Georgetown? The only advice you or any other fan MAY be entitled to give Self is that if we lose in the first round to Portland State - We can SUGGEST to Self that he take the OSU job if offered to him.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 07:07 AM

Here's my advice to coach self and our players......

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GUYS!!!! lol.
Posted by: jaybird

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 07:38 AM

I don't care who your are, this post is funny.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 07:54 AM

Quote:

o'right.. you guys have coached me enough.. i guess i'm too paranoid about facing Clemson and Georgetown in midwest.

Reason at last...have some confidence!

Rock Chalk
Posted by: sevenyearhawk

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 08:04 AM

I'm sure this has been said ...

In a word: don't!

Even *I'M* smart enough to realize this.

Wish them well, make banners, show up at rallies, send a note to the basketball office I suppose, or even send a card to the Qwest Center in Omaha.

Though we know they are all going to be a little pre-occupied at the moment.
Posted by: ku_painter

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 08:09 AM

Quote:

No no no. You can't back off this now, stick to your guns and really work hard to get your suggestions to Bill Self. I would love nothing more than to be sitting on my couch Thursday and see the basketball equivalent of The Statue of Liberty. Then I can think to myself as I slug down some beer..." jayhawker_97......you are a coaching genius....well played sir, well played.
Posted by: appyhawk

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 09:42 AM

Man this is fun stuff. From ALL concerned.
Like everyone, there have been times when I'd like to bend Bill's ear...like after (heck, DURING) our Moody OT loss at Misery a few years ago! I couldn't believe a D! coach could make such an obvious blunder.
The game in KC yesterday showed us something we haven't noticed often enough in the past.
Our guys played at a high level all game long, but that alone wasn't going to get the job done.
BILL SELF coached one hell of a game yesterday. He was busy tip to gun making the right moves. Superb performance from players, yes, but also by our coach.
Posted by: jaybird

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 10:00 AM

Well said appy.
Posted by: Dr_Drakkar

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 10:03 AM

Greatest. Thread title. Ever.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 10:47 AM

Here is my advice to Coach Self:

1. Could you please act as a father figure to the guys, it seems the last few years they have had a lot of personal treadgedy and problems facing them.

2. Could you please work with the big guys, especially Kaun and Jackson, they have so much potential but need a little push forward, or better yet, bring in a guy who has "been there" to teach them and even work out with them.

3. Could you please challenge each individual team member to think of themselves as a unit that needs to ebb and flow and adjust during each game based on the opponent and who is hot that day for KU.

4. Could you please publicly call out any guys that are underperforming, to try and challenge them to excellence each game.

Wait....you have done all of that and more, I just got tired of typing. Bill Self, you are the MAN! Respect...

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 10:49 AM

I know these things have to come about organically, but I sure wish this thread could become the new Tuby when Tuby is retired after the title this year.
Posted by: imjayhawk

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 11:29 AM

I say REST .. REST and REST. Give all these boys some good massage and sex.

Note to Self - Keep them boys hungry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 11:32 AM

Quote:

WTF????
Posted by: pwhittemore

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 11:46 AM

I'm actually quite surprised you haven't used the suggestion box by now.
The other day, I noticed Arthur was picking up too many fouls too early.
I wrote Self, "Self, Arthur should be careful about his fouls."
Sure enough, what happened yesterday? He listens.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 11:55 AM

WTF????

Quote:

Quote:

WTF????

Posted by: Dr_Drakkar

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 11:56 AM

Well done Paul. lol
Posted by: RockChalk147

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 12:07 PM

Quote:

Anyone ever lurk on the UNC board? A couple of years ago, someone asked how he could get a play to Roy.
(about 3 pages of ridicule)
He said that Roy would love to have a great play thought of by a fan.
(about 4 pages of ridicule)
He said, no seriously it's an incredible play, it works all the time in his rec. league.
(about 10 pages of ridicule)
Finally he described the play... One guard crosses the other at the top of the key, and when the other card sets a pick, the guard with the ball bounces the ball through the other player's legs, and bam, wide open for the three!

The entire thread was about 30 pages long, the TarHell equivilent to Tuby. Funnies thing I've ever read.

link to this? i need a good laugh!!
Posted by: IH8KST8

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 06:04 PM

If you get in to HCBS office - please make sure you let him know that the "Dribble down and hand the ball off play - wont work in the NCAA Tourny"

I am sure he has forgot and will be excited to be reminded.
Posted by: FELONY

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 06:18 PM

Buahahahahahahahahahaha!
Posted by: chiknbut

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 08:10 PM

I'm glad this post was started. I've been diagramming a few plays that I intend to fax to Self if he ever wants to start winning some big games.

One in particular, iso-man slap 17, is nearly infallible.

Please, if anyone knows where I can send these things, I'd be forever in your debt.
Posted by: jaihaux

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 08:39 PM

I want to send him the diagram for "65 Toss Power Trap."
Posted by: ross52066

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 08:49 PM

F*cking ingenius idea. I think that instead of Coach Self "wasting" time on diagramming plays that have probably been handed down since Naismith, Phog, Larry Brown, Henry Iba and Eddie Sutton he should throw all of those in the trash can and just allow fans to email him plays that work in the fat guy rec leagues.

What have these coaches been thinking for the past 100+ years???!!!

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 08:50 PM

Quote:

I don't care who your are, this post is funny.

Congratulations to jayhawker_97 on starting the new Tuby thread.
Posted by: horton_hombre

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 09:06 PM

I was going to write to him to tell him not to let Brandon step on the in-bounds line when in-bounding the ball. Now it's too late.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 09:11 PM

Quote:

I was going to write to him to tell him not to let Brandon step on the in-bounds line when in-bounding the ball. Now it's too late.

Maybe not - I actually wrote him to have Mario work a little more on his three point shooting. He obviously listened to my advice on that point. And also, if I hadn't implored him to get his guys to block out, we probably woudn't have won yesterday.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 09:17 PM

97, I don't think Bill will take you seriously unless you have at least 1,000 posts to your credit.
Posted by: aldo2121

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 09:37 PM

Actually I heard 958 was the magic number.
Posted by: HAWKN89

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 09:39 PM

wow you guys are relentless

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 09:46 PM

Who wants to start jigglin'? Everything's better when yer jigglin'! Everytime I do my jiggle-billy dance KU wins, I bet if Self did the jiggle-billy while coaching he'd jiggle us right to a National Championship.
Posted by: 1985hawk

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 09:49 PM

I know for a fact Coach Self monitors this board for ideas. Why dont you all diagram a few plays? I think a poster on Saturday night at 2:30 in the morning posted that Mario was due for a big game behind the arc and Coach diagramed a few plays before the game for Mario

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 10:19 PM

Try this one Coach!!!! I'm sure it will work. Me and my buddies worked on it all night, only breaking for bong hits and sips of Jolt.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 10:37 PM

You guys shouldn't be so cynical. This from the Omaha World Herald:

Quote:

Someone in a position to know said Self, after 20 minutes against Nebraska, called his players every name in the book, plus a few he invented.

I definitely recall that suggestion being made in the game thread, so obviously Coach Self does monitor the board, during games even. Or at least has one of the assistants do it.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 10:42 PM

Quote:

I'm actually quite surprised you haven't used the suggestion box by now.
The other day, I noticed Arthur was picking up too many fouls too early.
I wrote Self, "Self, Arthur should be careful about his fouls."
Sure enough, what happened yesterday? He listens.

I walk by that suggestion box every day, and I never think to write anything. I guess that's my bad.

Also, can I do the +1 thing?

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 10:53 PM

I thought Cole Aldrich deserved more playing time since Darrel Arthur tends to get in foul trouble early and put that suggestion in that box. See what happened?

Cole is coming along nicely. Ill take credit for that

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 11:02 PM

Dear Bill,

In order to make a title run, please don't start Tyrel Reed. Not that I don't think he's a fine player-- I just don't think he's ready yet.

You don't need to write me back, as I know you are very busy this time of year. But if you don't start Tyrel Reed and we win the national Championship, you're welcome. And when the staff gets fitted for championship rings, please remember that I have long bony fingers.

Your Pal,
Neilster

PS- Would it kill you to score a few more alley-oop dunks? I like those the best.
Posted by: T_H_E

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/17/08 11:24 PM

I'm not sure, but it might have been
Bill Raftery who said:
"Coaches who take advice from fans
inevitably end up sitting with them".

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 09:06 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure, but it might have been
Bill Raftery who said:
"Coaches who take advice from fans
inevitably end up sitting with them".

Good one - Get it you all know-it-all fans????
Posted by: dapipelaya

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & staff? - 03/18/08 09:11 AM

Quote:

any more suggestions?

yea, like coach self gives a flying f$&# about what you think.. how would you feel if every joe schmo off the street tried to tell you how to do your job..he's a good coach..he know's what he's doing..let him be!

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 09:24 AM

I hope this is just getting warmed up.
What fun! Great way to get through till Thursday.

Bill, CLICK the "back" button.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 12:33 PM

Back around 1963, just after the 62-63 season, John Wooden and I were sunning ourselves on this beautiful sandy beach, sipping on Mai Tais, and commiserating Wooden's second consecutive failed trip to the tourney and his fifth failed trip over all. It was a dark time (figuratively - is was sunny, balmy, and beautiful in the literal sense).

And then inspiration struck. "Johnny," I said to him, "I got it!"

After a dramatic pause, I said, "It's simple. Sure, you have your seven rules, but you missed the most important one!"

"What's that?" he asked.

"Make'm laugh!"

"Make'm laugh?"

"Make'm laugh!"

After the inexplicable synchronized singing and dancing that burst forth, Wooden thanked me for my advice and walked away. Guess what happened for the next 12 years?
Posted by: jayhawk96

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 01:30 PM

Dear Bill,

Do you like me?

___Yes

___No

XOXO,

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 01:35 PM

__X_Yes

___No

Regards,

HCBS

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 01:37 PM

Sex scandle at KU!

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 01:46 PM

Quote:

__X_Yes

___No

Regards,

HCBS

I KNEW IT!

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 01:59 PM

Quote:

Sex scandle at KU!

There's a spelling scandle too!

(Ok, sorry, I'm not the grammar police, just thought it was too good to pass up!)
Posted by: ixamnis

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 02:07 PM

Quote:

any more suggestions?

123 posts and you're giving advice to the best coach in the NCAA.

I think they only take direct advice from posters who've earned the title "Max Falkenstein/Falkenstien". Although, I'm SURE they read the board to get pointers all the time.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 02:17 PM

"I'm SURE they read the board to get pointers all the time."

Bank on it.
You think they want credit for all the plays that don't work?

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 03:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

any more suggestions?

123 posts and you're giving advice to the best coach in the NCAA.

I think they only take direct advice from posters who've earned the title "Max Falkenstein/Falkenstien". Although, I'm SURE they read the board to get pointers all the time.

I'm not sure what this means--"we've got to utilize our guys more to wear out opponents' guards." What does that mean? Rotate more players in? We only used one reserve in the backcourt against Texas, and yet the poster 97 cites the example of DJ being too exhausted in the second half to make shots as confirmation of the wisdom of this apparent advice to Bill to play more players. (Unless "DJ" means Darnell Jackson.)

I'm thoroughly confused and would like a clarification. And I'm sure Bill is as confused as I am regarding this post, probably scratching his head and losing sleep over it. Perhaps if he knew what the poster was talking about, he might just take his advice, and we would be home free for making the Final Four.
Posted by: DrPepper

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 03:16 PM

Didn't you get the little postcard in the mail with the return postage? I get it confused each year with the dry investment fund legal papers about voting that get mass mailed.

I never submit them because I don't think my vote really counts. Instead, I keep them as free KU memorabilia. I have all the recent ones in a frame over my fireplace.

Kaun to inbounds or Arthur?
Center court Jayhawk facing north or south?
windsprints or treadmill for passing up a shot?
Trajan font for new logo?
Should Julian be allowed to bring the ball up?
Red unis or gold?
GiveNGo,PickNRoll, or PickNPop?
rocking chair or candle sticks?
hi-low or low-hi?
updates to AFH or build in JoCo?
Nike or Adidas?
offer scholarship to BRush?
3 bigs or 3 guards?
Spit in the river or behave like men?
ban certain hangouts or initiate curfew?
hands up defense or stare down the bellybutton?
clear mouth guards or red?
give player X the boot?
Great Alaska Shootout or Maui Invitational?
Motion, Flex, or 1-4?

Just yesterday I got: Fly or drive to Omaha?
Posted by: 5DecadeHawk

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 03:18 PM

Wouldn't a better strategy be to not use our guys, but to use our cheerleaders to wear down opposing guards?

Did I just type that?

Bad 5D BAD BAD BAD.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 03:21 PM

You mean you passed up the chance to vote on Sherron's dinner menu? My choice, Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad, must have won because he's lost the puppy fat.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 03:22 PM

Quote:

Wouldn't a better strategy be to not use our guys, but to use our cheerleaders to wear down opposing guards?

Did I just type that?

Bad 5D BAD BAD BAD.

That's not a bad suggestion, but I might clarify that the cheerleaders should start wearing down the opposing players about 2 hours before game time. Once the game starts, the team should step in and take over.

... uh ... so to speak.
Posted by: DarthJayhawk

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 03:33 PM

Funniest thread so far this week.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 03:41 PM

Dear Coach,

I propose that we forfeit the #1 seed, from my calculations - it goes to show that you and the team have played enough this year, and have won enough -

Why take the chance of ending the year on a negative note?

I mean come on coach!! Look at Brett Farve - he let go, even when he knew that there was a chance to win again- everyone like's him.

Who want's to take the chance on not winning anyway? It is way safer to just take your pretty throphy and championship - and go out a champion-

If you do plan on playing in this tournament and taking a chance at not winning the whole thing (Roll's Eye's)- Then please do us a favor and let B. Rush shoot from Half Court -
I have watched every game this year, and they have YET to guard him at the half court line......let him launch!!!!

Thanks for listening Coach -

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 03:43 PM

Could this be the tuby thread for the tournement this year?

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 05:09 PM

Quote:

Unless your friend's name is John Wooden, you're better off keeping your trap shut. Trust me. I ASSURE you that you aren't going to tell Self anything he hasn't noticed himself, or heard from one of his assistants.

This is John Wooden. I am indeed the friend that jayhawker_97 mentioned. Just came on your board to hate on the Bruins a little bit.

I'm getting awfully sick of the thuggish style of play of the UCLA squads under Howland, and I've been appalled by the biased hometown officiating that marks their games. (In my day, we didn't have to rely on the referees to bail us out game after game during our 88-game winning streak.) I am especially sick of that pudgy punk Kevin Love, who keeps calling me up for advice. I gave him Bill Walton's number, but he says Bill is toked out on ganja and can't focus on his questions. All Bill says to him is, "That was TURRRIBLE!!!!!"

And what's with that yellow "C" on the uniform? It looks ridiculous, like one of those "AERO" sweatshirts the kids at the mall wear nowadays!

Anyway, I've about had it with this year's squad of Bruins. As a result, I'm switching my allegiance to KU, for whom I have fond memories because, as you all know, I worked on the KU campus one summer on my way out west, helping to pour concrete for the footings of Memorial Stadium. Once upon a time, I gave my blood and sweat to Mount Oread.

What I'm leading up to is this: I've got a sh!tload of advice for Coach Self to help his squad reach the Final Four and want to know how I can reach him. Anyone have any ideas? Being older than the hills, I'm not too savvy on this Internet stuff.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 06:13 PM

Dear Posters:

Thank you for your excellent advice and tips. I actually get most of my game plan from this very board. In fact, I've come to value your knowledge and insight so much that I have fired my assistant coaches and scouting staff and will, from this moment on, rely exclusively on this board for the rest of the tournament run. I have no doubt that the genius of Horton Hombre (I affectionately refer to him as "Mucho Hombre"), Brando, 5Decade and the like, will emerge to carry us all the way to a championship.

So, tell me, do we go with Russ Rob or Sherron to open against PSU?

Sincerely,

Coach Self

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 06:18 PM

Neither. Start Case. He's due.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 06:21 PM

Case was hot on senior night! But I think we need to stick to our plan the whole season. No need to right the ship.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 06:23 PM

Dear Coach Self:

Please don't pay attention to horton_hombre. He was joking but forgot to use the sarcasm emoticon. In all seriousness, start Reed.

Kindest regards, etc. etc.

PS: Coach Wooden, your interest in our welfare is deeply appreciated. However, your connection with KU notwitstanding, we get all the help we need from our own HOF alumni -- KU's own Dean Smith. But thanks for your interest and we're glad your feeling well enough to post.
Posted by: jayhawk154

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 06:29 PM

Coach Self-

Thanks for the props, dude. Pay special attention to the Official Game Thread as this is where all the really good coaches hang out.

Oh, play Cole. He's huge.
Posted by: kellyfenton

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 06:33 PM

Coach, tell Brandon NOT to drive to the basket. Stay on the wings and pop 'em from deep. Tell Kaun and Arthur to FINISH down low. Oh, and tell them to keep sizzling from three.
Posted by: Zhawk06

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 06:45 PM

Note to Self: Don't pay attention to us.
Posted by: PhoG_Rat

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 06:47 PM

Quote:

Ah yes, then we could matriculate down the court with the greatest of ease against these Vikings.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 06:48 PM

I've matriculated down my leg before. Very embarrassing.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 07:10 PM

i want to send him some good tips me and buddies thought of on how to to beat portland state. Thats going to be some avery har games. and i have some good plas!!! : )

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 07:12 PM

Are you drunk or are you from Russia? Or are you a drunk Russian?

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/18/08 07:20 PM

Well if Im not mistaken, I think it is a tear into my sticking keyboard. Hey! Over 6000 posts do that to a few keyboards!

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/19/08 10:12 AM

See, that's how you get a play to Coach. I'm pretty sure that young Rocky isn't getting an autograph but giving Coach Self a play or two. Good work, Rocky! And keep learnin', Coach Self.

Coaching Advice
Posted by: nicoledawn

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/19/08 10:40 AM

Quote:

I actually figured out how to get my advice heard, once.

It was pretty simple. First, I casually stroll up to Self, while he's eating lunch on campus. Then I say, "you're with me, leather."

Curiously, he looks up. "Stephen A. Smith loves his cheesey doodles?" he asks.

I put my finger to my nose, wink, and say with wisdom in my eyes, "Bang goes the dynamite."

LOL...funny stuff.
BTW, I go to school with the "boom goes the dynamite" kid. I laugh every time I see him.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/19/08 11:11 AM

Quote:

Did I just type that?

Bad 5D BAD BAD BAD.

It's cool that anyone knows the bang goes the dynamite kid. I'd have thought he'd be a millionaire recluse by now.

Second, the cheerleaders idea is a great one. They made a remarkably graphic documentary (with really bad acting) about that very phenomenon in the 70s.

It was called The Cheerleaders (tagline: They don't bring it on; they take it off!)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068364/

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/19/08 02:24 PM

Quote:

the cheerleaders idea is a great one. They made a remarkably graphic documentary (with really bad acting) about that very phenomenon in the 70s.

It was called The Cheerleaders (tagline: They don't bring it on; they take it off!)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068364/

Screen writers for that movie:

Ace Baandige (screenplay)
Paul Glickler (screenplay)

The reference for the first guy is obvious.

The second one..... uhhhh.... use the G as an initial and ... uhhhhhh.....

You figure it out.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/19/08 03:26 PM

dang this thread has gone on alot longer than i thought it would!
Posted by: Jayhawker05

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/19/08 03:43 PM

Based on my vast knowledge and experience beyond what Self could ever hope to accomplish in College Hoops (2K8 on Xbox360), I coached a mid major conference team to 3 undefeated seasons and 3 national championships. I would tell him: Turn off goaltending and fouling and turn on INFINITE TURBO. Maybe mess with the shooting accuracy sliders..
Posted by: jayhwk01

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/19/08 03:45 PM

Quote:

Based on my vast knowledge and experience beyond what Self could ever hope to accomplish in College Hoops (2K8 on Xbox360), I coached a mid major conference team to 3 undefeated seasons and 3 national championships. I would tell him: Turn off goaltending and fouling and turn on INFINITE TURBO. Maybe mess with the shooting accuracy sliders..

Soooo basically turn it to Duke/UCLA mode right?

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/19/08 04:51 PM

Quote:

I believe the real world equivalent is paying Shaq.

HEY!! I've got a great idea!
Posted by: Skip_Towne

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/19/08 06:11 PM

The best way to get Bill Self's attention is to walk up to his office and peer in at him through the transom.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/21/08 12:29 PM

Self, Sherron should be wearing knee pads. Bechard can hook you up with some.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/21/08 12:56 PM

The original post has not been answered seriously yet. I would like somebody to do so so I can go ahead and give the coaching staff my scouting report of UNLV.

C'mon guys, get serious about this!

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/21/08 05:51 PM

HELLO!!

How are we supposed to win - if no one helps!!!

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/23/08 08:51 AM

I need to email Bill Self and tell him that he did a good job of getting Robinson and Collins to drive the ball. The Runnin' Rebels were doing a great job of fronting the big men so it was hard to get them involved. I would've recommended the same strategy. If only I knew how to contact the head coach.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/23/08 10:17 AM

Note to Self: Win another 2 game tournament.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/26/08 11:19 PM

Dear Coach Self:

I've been giving serious thought to the challenge that you face in the upcoming game against Villanova. I have observed, from the excellent vantage point that my lazyboy affords me, that you tend to win more games when you are wearing that fetching pinstripe grey suit. I highly recommend that you wear this suit during the game on Friday. And the tie with the little florets. The red one.

Yours truly,

CPAHawk

You are welcome.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/28/08 07:38 PM

bump

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/28/08 07:39 PM

hahahahhahaah

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/28/08 07:42 PM

I just happened to have it. lol. I'm not sure why even.
Posted by: Jhwk4evr

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/28/08 08:05 PM

A la Joe Pesci from GoodFellas.

"Yeah, so uh, I got a question for Coach Self here. So like, my general query is this, who the hell do these tough guy bastards from Pennsylvania think they are, ah? I had a brother in law who owned a dealership up there, right? Long story short, when I rolled out of the lot in my boss 66 Continental, three months later, the transmition falls out right on the highway, so I already don't trust 'em. So, back to my original question, as a second string point guard in junior high, three time recipient of Papa John's adult recreation league coach of the year where my picture *still* hangs to this day in said resteraunt, I think we go triangle and two all fourty minutes. What says you?"

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & staff? - 04/01/08 11:21 AM

Dear Coach Self:

You may have forgotten, but Stillwater sucks.

Kindest regards, etc. etc.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/01/08 11:24 AM

Note to Self: Win one more 2 game tournament.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/01/08 11:25 AM

Note to Self:

Be sure and guard Curry on that last possession.
Posted by: jhawks99

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/01/08 11:50 AM

The Wheel > Eskimo Joe's

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/01/08 11:53 AM

Yesterday on Crunch Time, Greg Gurley was on and he was saying that he could almost diagram up EVERY UNC play before they run it because Roy Williams has a very structured offense and is very predictable. Any chance he can go ahead and fax those over to Bill Self's office? Along with the rest of our notes/advice
Posted by: rcjh88

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/01/08 12:23 PM

Dear coach Self,

I don't know if you know this or not, but the coach we play against Saturday night used to coach at KU. We should be able to find some film somewhere about how he likes to play. I think maybe you should watch some of it and we could make a secret plan on how to beat him. call me, we'll talk x's and o's. 785-555-5555

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/01/08 02:17 PM

I hope this post wasn't written by t B.utt Pickens. I don't want him sending any notes.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/01/08 02:49 PM

wow this thread is still on the first page. wow.
Posted by: JustTunedInHawk

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/01/08 03:16 PM

Maybe we can go a step further here and eliminate the coach next year and set up a website through which fans can call KU's plays in every game...majority rule wins. We can replace the "coach" with some athletic department assistant who will wear an earpiece and have a laptop nearby at all times.

We'd be the first team ever to try this. I think we can ride it all the way to a 14-16 record and an NIT berth!

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/01/08 03:57 PM

I'm still concerned he hasn't gotten my earlier messages about NC's tendencies to increase the tempo in a game, and also, they apparently have this kid name Tyler Handsby, (or is it Handcheck?..I forget) whose supposed to be pretty good.

Please, please, please, help me pass on this important inside information to Coach Self.

Please.
Posted by: heycobo

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/01/08 04:03 PM

i think it would be appropriate if this thread somehow turned in to the new tuby thread. it's just so good.
Posted by: chiknbut

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/01/08 04:21 PM

I've just scripted three new inbounds plays. Does anyone know how late Kinko's is open?

I need to get to a fax machine as soon as possible.

Oh man, these are good ones, too!
Posted by: gutterfanclub

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/01/08 04:27 PM

jahawker2004, please write up a proper press release on behalf of Coach. You can post it here as he checks in regularly.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/01/08 06:31 PM

Coach,

Here's my latest scouting report on NC

("normal" encryption)

The Panther is loose.

The coBra ate the MONGOOSE.

The Man from Nantucket says "Wild Geese Fly North for the Winter"

Little Boy Blue has played his.... fiddle.

!!xxDANNYMANNING=RedRover

And, most importantly,

MJ is in motion!

I repeat:

MJ is in motion!

RockchalkJayhawkII signing out.
Posted by: JayhawkJules

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/01/08 06:35 PM

Quote:

I'm still concerned he hasn't gotten my earlier messages about NC's tendencies to increase the tempo in a game, and also, they apparently have this kid name Tyler Handsby, (or is it Handcheck?..I forget) whose supposed to be pretty good.

Please, please, please, help me pass on this important inside information to Coach Self.

Please.

It's "HANDSGROPE."

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/01/08 07:00 PM

Passed by the ol' suggestion box the other day.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/01/08 08:05 PM

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 02:38 AM

Seriously though guys...this thread started with a good intention. Obviously we can't ALL get in touch with Coach, but if we all combine our ideas together and come up with a few good ones, we can present those to Coach in time for the game on Saturday. What do you think? I'm thinking we should probably try to get them in by Thursday morning so they have plenty of time to run through them in practice. Just because we're not all high-paid coaches doesn't mean we don't have some GREAT ideas sometimes...let's all join together to help KU basketball bring home a championship to Lawrence!

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 02:38 AM

Seriously though guys...this thread started with a good intention. Obviously we can't ALL get in touch with Coach, but if we all combine our ideas together and come up with a few good ones, we can present those to Coach in time for the game on Saturday. What do you think? I'm thinking we should probably try to get them in by Thursday morning so they have plenty of time to run through them in practice. Just because we're not all high-paid coaches doesn't mean we don't have some GREAT ideas sometimes...let's all join together to help KU basketball bring home a championship to Lawrence!

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 02:42 AM

Quote:

that's hilarious
Posted by: jayhawklaw

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 06:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

that's hilarious

Nice work.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 09:02 AM

Quote:

This is an excellent plan. I have the great idea ring of earth. Now, if I can simply find the 3 people with the great idea rings if wind, fire, and water, we'll have a SUPER great idea!

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 09:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

This is an excellent plan. I have the great idea ring of earth. Now, if I can simply find the 3 people with the great idea rings if wind, fire, and water, we'll have a SUPER great idea!

Not without heart.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 09:26 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpFy-5ZCgjQ

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 11:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That's cool man. Laugh it up. No sweat off my back. I'm just trying to help the team...if that's something to laugh at then I guess you'll be laughing for a long time. I plan on doing whatever it takes. If it's helping Coach with a few tips (hey, it always helps to have a NEW set of eyes right?) then that is what I will do. Why sit around and talk about it on a message board when we can actually make a difference? Whatever helps you sleep at night friend.
Posted by: kucard

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 12:08 PM

Oh, hey guys. I was IM'ing Bill last night and told him we had some ideas. He said we should go ahead and send them to his new address, he'll just pick them up at the front desk:

Athletics Center
Oklahoma State University
Stillwater, OK 74078

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 12:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's cool man. Laugh it up. No sweat off my back. I'm just trying to help the team...if that's something to laugh at then I guess you'll be laughing for a long time. I plan on doing whatever it takes. If it's helping Coach with a few tips (hey, it always helps to have a NEW set of eyes right?) then that is what I will do. Why sit around and talk about it on a message board when we can actually make a difference? Whatever helps you sleep at night friend.

Oh wow... Were you being serious?

Wow.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 12:12 PM

Here's my advice: BBQ. I hear they have some pretty good Q down there in Texas.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 12:15 PM

I've read good reviews about Rudy's. Supposed to be good Mexican food down there as well.

How do we tell Bill about the best BBQ?

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 12:18 PM

Just a feeling, but I'm guessing if there's one thing Coach Self doesn't need our help on it's finding good BBQ. A good defensive scheme for Psycho T or how to work the refs, yes. BBQ, no.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 12:28 PM

Keep bumping this! LMAO.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 02:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not without heart.

Regrettably, as we all know, the ring of heart resides in North Carolina. Heart, in fact, could be our one downfall.

In terms of great ideas, that is.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 02:16 PM

hey coach self. i think we should play man to man defense saturday night. maybe mix in some zone or a little half court trap. what do you think?

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 02:21 PM

Someone should just put a poll up so that Bill is not flooded by a bunch of different ideas, but instead, he sees what the majority of us want. No voting twice.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 02:28 PM

Quote:

This thing has survived much longer than he thought it would. Tried to bury it two weeks ago--yikes.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 02:56 PM

Quote:

Someone should just put a poll up so that Bill is not flooded by a bunch of different ideas, but instead, he sees what the majority of us want. No voting twice.

Exactly...this is the kind of cooperation I think we need to see. I'm sure Coach wouldn't be offended. We don't mean to say we're better coaches than he is...it's just that sometimes when you're so close to a situtation, you can't remove yourself enough to see it for what it really is. I guarantee you Coach would really appreciate a well put together, organized list of comments that might help us beat UNC and/or Memphis/UCLA. Who can get this going? I'd do it myself but I don't know how.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 03:00 PM

Impractical. The felines would take over and skew a poll like with ideas like "forty minutes of hell" and losing just so no one accuses you of running up the score.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 03:07 PM

I think we can weed out the unreasonable suggestions easily enough. Come on folks, let's do our part!

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 03:10 PM

Quote:

Impractical. The felines would take over and skew a poll like with ideas like "forty minutes of hell" and losing just so no one accuses you of running up the score.

I doubt it, because if the idea is really, really, really good, (and I'm sure it would be if a majority of us voted for it), Bill could see that the idea is really, really, really good. K-State and Missouri fans might give us ideas that they think are bad, but are actually good. So, in a way, we shouldn't just give Bill our opinions, we should give him everyone's opinions. Let the best idea win. That's Democracy.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 03:16 PM

Quote:

I doubt it, because if the idea is really, really, really good, (and I'm sure it would be if a majority of us voted for it), Bill could see that the idea is really, really, really good. K-State and Missouri fans might give us ideas that they think are bad, but are actually good. So, in a way, we shouldn't just give Bill our opinions, we should give him everyone's opinions. Let the best idea win. That's Democracy.

No, see...that's the thing...if Bill gets to CHOOSE which suggestions he takes, he's going to subconsciously gravitate toward the suggestions that fit into his current coaching mold. I still say we need to get together, debate and get 5-10 solid, unified suggestions to Coach by tomorrow morning. If we come to him with ONE voice, he can't help but realize some things that he didn't notice before. This is a win-win for everyone.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 04:22 PM

You've got me convinced. Don't let Bill choose, I mean, heck, the reason we are sending him suggestions is because we think we can help the team improve. So, stick with the poll, take out unreasonable or suspicious ideas, select the best five to ten ideas, and submit them to Coach Self in time to incorporate them into his gameplan for Saturday. Do you think this will work?

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 04:25 PM

Definitely, but only if we can get other LOYAL HAWKS on board!!! Come on everyone, do you want to "Remember the Alamo" or not??!!??

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 04:55 PM

One thing about playing in Texas: The Bar-B-Que is more like KC 'Q. Tomato based sauce with peppers. None of that mustard and vinegar crap; and no putting cole slaw on the BBQ sandwiches. That should give us an edge. The Q alone should throw UNC off their game.

...unless those panty-waists go for sushi.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 05:07 PM

WDNR, I think you and I are done here.
Posted by: tomoon

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 11:42 PM

We can beat UNC.

Defense:
SK/DJ/CA on TH. Leave DA out of foul trouble.
RR/MC on TL.

Offense:
Get the ball to the bigs. The bigs may cause TH in a foul trouble.
Let TL on SC. The defense on SC and been defended by RR/MC, TL may be very tired.

Note:
KU wasn't playing very well offensively as a team effort in last game with Davidson. (We did play great great defense!) We have been talking about "too unselfish" lately, but still, "unselfish" is important. Davidson almost beat us because they were playing as a team. Some players may concern their careers in NBA if they play unselfishly. In that case, please look at last year's Florida team. Almost everybody on that team went to NBA later, because they won the NC by playing the game with a great team effort.

PS: Just my two cents :-)

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/02/08 11:42 PM

eff it. bump

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/03/08 09:42 AM

Quote:

Definitely, but only if we can get other LOYAL HAWKS on board!!! Come on everyone, do you want to "Remember the Alamo" or not??!!??

Wait. I'm confused. Are we equating Roy leaving KU to the death of around 300 people at the Alamo?

I think my life isn't complete if I don't read this thread at least once a day.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/03/08 10:05 AM

From Keegan's column today, where he suggests answers to questions for Self.

Coach, As you know, North Carolina loves to get up and down the court in a hurry. Do you plan to run with the Tar Heels or are you going to try to frustrate them by slowing it down?

“Actually, even though we have five fast players on the court at all times, and even though we went 35-3, gained a share of the Big 12 title, and defeated Texas in the Big 12 tournament title game, we’re going to spend the week walking away from who we are as a team. We’re going to walk the ball up the floor, because we think our 35-3 record is a mirage. We’re going to run the weave for 25 seconds of the 35-second shot clock and then try to score.”

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/03/08 10:40 AM

Quote:

I really hope you were putting us on. You weren't really being serious were you?

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/03/08 10:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I really hope you were putting us on. You weren't really being serious were you?

What do you mean?
Posted by: Neiha

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/03/08 10:56 AM

Jayhawk prayer

Our Father, who art in Lawrence,

Hallowed be thy Game.

Thy tourney come,

Thy championship will be done,

In San Antonio as it is in Allen Field House.

Give us this day our deserved victories.

And forgive us our turnovers,

As we forgive Roy who double-crossed against us.

And lead us not into defeat,

But deliver us from East Coast bias,

For Kansas is the basketball kingdom,

And the tradition,

And the glory,

For ever and ever.

Amen.

BEAK 'EM HAWKS!!!!!!!

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/03/08 10:58 AM

What do you mean?

I mean I hope you didn't really mean that we should take a poll of opinions on how the team could play better against North Carolina and submit the poll results to Coach Self. I hope you didn't really post that on page ten of a thread that has been bashing the absurdity of this very same concept for weeks.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/03/08 11:07 AM

Well since no one wanted to get behind the idea, I guess you got your wish. Look man, I was just trying to do something good for the team. I know most of you probably think I'm nuts...but hey, I don't want to look back on this Final Four and say "There's more that I could have done, dammit!"

My old man always taught me, "Son, if you're going to do something, you don't do it half way. You do it the WHOLE way. Don't stop in the middle, boy, cause that ain't enough. You have to continue to the end. See it through. Finish the job, as it were." So, that has stuck with me to this day.

If any of you were wondering, I just went ahead and made up my own list of suggestions and faxed them to KU Athletics, Inc. this morning. I haven't heard back but I imagine that they have a way to fax them on to Coach in San Antonio. I wish I could have had more input, but hopefully there will be a nugget or two of good info for the team.

But hey, let's not spend our time arguing. Let's all get along and just cheer for the HAWKS!!!!!!

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/03/08 11:10 AM

I admire your passion. I also admire that you have probably guaranteed this thread stays alive for another week.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/03/08 11:37 AM

Quote:

I admire your passion. I also admire that you have probably guaranteed this thread stays alive for another week.

Hey, thanks a lot!

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/03/08 12:36 PM

I, as well, faxed a list of suggestions, plays, tips, and observations to, not the KU athletic department, but to the housekeeping department of the hotel at which the team is staying.

Yes sir, I am confident that, as I watch the game on Saturday, that I will see at least one or two of my little nuggets being used in the game.

When you see our boys apply a tight, aggressive, man to man defense? That was my idea!

When weakside defense comes over to double on Hansborough in the post? Again, my idea!

Sherron's dribble penetration and then kick out to BR or MC for a three? You're welcome for that one too Coach Self!

In fact, Jayhawk nation, you are all welcome. I see it as my duty to not miss a single opportunity to use my experience from all those years of town team and church league basketball for the benefit of our team.

Again, you are welcome!
Posted by: MDiggity

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/03/08 12:47 PM

Dibs on all Kaun, Arthur, and Jackson thunder dunks--mine.

I also suggested that Mario, Brandon, Sherron, and Russ Rob steal the ball whenever possible.

Watch for my game changer idea. . .I won't tell you what it is but when they highlight the "game changing perfomance" or "play of the game" you can thank me for the brilliance.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/03/08 01:02 PM

If any of you were wondering, I just went ahead and made up my own list of suggestions and faxed them to KU Athletics, Inc. this morning. I haven't heard back but I imagine that they have a way to fax them on to Coach in San Antonio. I wish I could have had more input, but hopefully there will be a nugget or two of good info for the team.

1. You deserve credit for actually sending the suggestions, not these people who say they sent suggestions, but didn't.

2. I'm kind of surprised the Athletics Department hasn't gotten back to you for more, or even to say thanks.

3. I bet the Athletics Department will find a way to get your suggestions pronto. It will probably take some time, though, to get back to you with their/Bill Self's thanks. Don't skip any trips to the mailbox, though.

4. I'm curious about your suggestions, but don't post them publicly. I don't want Roy to see them. I know there are secret UNC fans on this site that also contact their coach with suggestions, too.

5. I am glad the tenor of this board and thread didn't keep you from doing what you thought was best for the team.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/03/08 02:06 PM

As many of you know or have heard, Bill Self emailed every student individually (With personalized greeting!) to suggest we all watch the game at Allen Fieldhouse on Saturday.

Obviously, I replied. What BS!

I thanked him for his suggestion, but then let it be known that Bill Self IS NOT a fan of KU basketball. He is the coach. Maybe he should just stick to coaching and let people more qualified than him - THE FANS - decide where they are going to watch the game!

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/03/08 02:08 PM

Quote:

Oh, hey guys. I was IM'ing Bill last night and told him we had some ideas. He said we should go ahead and send them to his new address, he'll just pick them up at the front desk:

Athletics Center
Oklahoma State University
Stillwater, OK 74078

haha okay i like that. lol

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/03/08 02:38 PM

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/03/08 04:34 PM

Bad Idea Jeans

Guy #1.....Kevin Nealon

[ open on group of guys sitting on a bench on a basketball court, laughing ]

Guy #1: Hey, we've got our apartment. We ripped up the floors, pipes, wiring, and having everything completely redone.

Guy #2: You're renting, right?

Guy #1: Yeah.

[ image on screen: BAD IDEA ]

Guy #3: Well, he's an ex free-base addict, and he's trying to turn around, and he needs a place to stay for a couple of months.

Guy #1: [ tosses bottle to Guy #2 ] Head's up!

Guy #4: Now that I have kids, I feel a lot better having a gun in the house.

[ close-up of the jeans they're wearing, the label reads: BAD IDEA JEANS ]

Guy #3: I thought about it, and even though it's over, I'm going to tell my wife about the afffair.

[ more shots of BAD IDEA jeans ]

Guy #5: I don't know the guy, but I've got two kidneys and he needs one, so I figured..

Guy #2: Normally I wear protection, but then I thought, "When am I gonna make it back to Haiti?"

Announcer: Bad Idea Jeans.

[ shows a group of tough looking basketball players on the court ]

Guy #1: Hey, you guys ready? Let's bet these guys! A hundred bucks.. make that two hundred! Two hundred bucks!

[ fade to image on screen: BAD IDEA JEANS ]

[ fade out ]
Posted by: heycobo

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/03/08 04:41 PM

haha such an awesome snl skit.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/03/08 05:32 PM

Bad Idea Jeans

I thought this thread was just for fun, but if Coach Self is spending his time goofing around at the computer e-mailing thirty thousand people, someone better take control ....

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/03/08 07:10 PM

Thanks for finding the video. Much more effective than the transcript. Wish it had one more scene with one of them saying, "I'm thinking about trying to find a way to get some basketball suggestions for Coach Self on KUsports.com. Fade to black--Bad Idea.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/05/08 02:10 AM

Can't wait to see if our stuff gets implemented!! I thought up a few last minute things but decided against sending them to Coach...I figure it might just throw him off last minute, and we need him 100 PERCENT focused on Carolina. Hopefully one of you that also found a way to get your suggestions in thought of it! ROCK CHALK JAYHAWKS GO KU!!
Posted by: HAWKN89

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/05/08 08:12 AM

Quote:

Eat mor chikn

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/05/08 08:16 AM

Quote:

Can't wait to see if our stuff gets implemented!! I thought up a few last minute things but decided against sending them to Coach...I figure it might just throw him off last minute, and we need him 100 PERCENT focused on Carolina. Hopefully one of you that also found a way to get your suggestions in thought of it! ROCK CHALK JAYHAWKS GO KU!!

Quit flirting with Bill Self.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/05/08 09:46 AM

I know the key to our victory tonight. I really need to get this message to coach so i hope he checks this thread during breakfast. When they get to the Alamodome Coach needs to tell Kaun to put Collins on his shoulders and measure the height of the rim. THEN tell them that it is the same height as the one in AFH. Also Collins should shoot his free throws under handed and Rush and Chalmers should shoot all jumpshots with one knee in the air using the backboard as much as possible. If they can do this, we will win.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/05/08 09:58 AM

Focus all firepower on that Super Star Destroyer!

Han's gonna get that shield down, we need more time!
Posted by: FELONY

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/05/08 09:59 AM

Quote:

thanks to those who responded positively . i knew coach Self wouldn't mind some humble advice from fans/observers. he'll acknowledge the intention. he knows he's not Bonnie.
get it?

positively

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/05/08 10:41 AM

Note to Self: Win tonight

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/05/08 10:47 AM

Coach Self:

Just thought of something. Please, during your warmups, make sure that the towel boys wipe up the wet spots on the floor so, that during your layup drills, no one slips and injures...

...wait, never mind.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/05/08 04:55 PM

Getting down to it, everyone. At this point your tips are probably gonna have to go straight to Coach Self or one of the players. Someone get Brandon's number from a Jethro.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/05/08 11:33 PM

Coach,

Our plan worked to perfection. Blow their doors off the first fifteen minutes, back off, give them false hope and, just when they think they have a shot and TH's dad is wearing his goofy grin, drop the hammer! And win by double digits.

Can't wait until our next collaboration.

Talk to you soon.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/05/08 11:59 PM

Great win! Thanks Coaches and Players!
We can beat Memphis (that's my school before I went to KU :-)). Our team effort can definitely stop their runs. Do not give Rose and Robert enough space....

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/06/08 09:11 AM

Note to Self: Win one more game

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/06/08 02:22 PM

Just so everyone knows, 5 minutes before the game, I had an epiphany. Instantly, I used the Vulcan Mind-meld to connect with Cole Aldrich. "Cole," I said, "tonight is your night! You are bigger than Hansbrough. You are taller than Hansbrough. And, gosh darn it, people like you more than Hansbrough! Make him your beeeeooottcch."

So I think I'm gonna take credit for that one.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/06/08 06:20 PM

Memorandum:

To: John Calipari

Subject: Audit

You are hereby required to be present at the Nashville IRS Office at no later than 4:00 p.m.; Monday, April 17th. Your actual presence is required. Representation by an attorney or other authorized person is not acceptable.

You will be required to produce the last three years' of tax information.

Of particular interest to this office are medical deductions to "Vidal Sassoon".

Sincerely,

Mr. Smith
IRS
Posted by: Rookie

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/06/08 06:46 PM

I bet that Coach Self has this thread on his blackberry, with e-mail alerts every time some advice is posted here.

My only real concern is that someone affiliated with Memphis doesnt read this and get ahold of our game plan!
Posted by: slefferd

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/07/08 08:25 AM

I wish everyone would take this post seriously!

I really need to get HCBS some info FAST!

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/07/08 11:02 AM

I do.
We should study the first three steps of Rose and Robert statistically....

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/07/08 11:25 AM

Coach,
Do not wear an ugly tie tonight.

I've read that an ugly tie is what cost UNC the game. Now that might be bogus, but we wouldn't want to risk it.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/07/08 11:26 AM

This thread, Tuby, and UCLA cheerleaders on page one. The planets have just aligned. KU wins!
Posted by: kansasjhawk044

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/07/08 03:48 PM

Dear Bill,
Please have the the ball tipped hardly right into Billy (fudge)Packer's face to start the game. After that is taken care of please hand Memphis's asses to them and bring home the national championship. Thanks!
Posted by: phsx_hawk

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/07/08 03:49 PM

my advice to KU: take no prisoners and burn this place down.
Posted by: Rookie

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/07/08 03:50 PM

BILL-

Please oh please! get your blackberry charged and ready for the game tonight. I have a few things I might want to run by you mid game, and I am not sure if the NCAA will allow you to have a laptop on the bench.

Thanks,

Your pal,
Rook

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/07/08 07:23 PM

Coach Self, when the game is over tonight, don't run with scissors.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/07/08 07:54 PM

JUst getting this on teh front page so bill can find it easily

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/08/08 12:35 PM

Dear Coach Self:

1. You are awesome!

2. When TBoone calls, put him on hold for about 30 minutes and then just hang up. There's no greater joy in life then to screw with a billionaire.

3. Maybe let's put the box and 1 back on the shelf, waaay in the back.
Posted by: HawkInDaHaus89

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/08/08 12:42 PM

Quote:

Dear Coach Self:

1. You are awesome!

2. When TBoone calls, put him on hold for about 30 minutes and then just hang up. There's no greater joy in life then to screw with a billionaire.

3. Maybe let's put the box and 1 back on the shelf, waaay in the back.

The box and 1 needed to be ditched. Cal actually said he loved seeing it because he thought KU's man to man was killing them. I thought the bigs many times helped double up on CDR and Rose and denied them dribble penetration inside the paint. huge... But that box in 1 might have allowed the team to catch a second wind. They seemed energized coming off the box and 1 going back to man.
Posted by: HawkInDaHaus89

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/08/08 12:42 PM

In the end it was a good call by self.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/08/08 02:04 PM

Nicely done everyone. Apparently Self took our advice and we scored ourselves a championship.

Note to Self: Stay at KU

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/10/08 08:44 AM

Isn't this the thread that Bill checks in to see what he's supposed to do? For those wanting to yank him out of his coaching position and turn him into a politician, this is the thread to do it in.
Posted by: nicoledawn

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/10/08 08:51 AM

Oh, the box and 1. I think maybe this whole "is coach leaving or is he staying" deal it just staged to distract us from the box and 1 that almost lost us the game. haha!

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/10/08 08:52 AM

I just can't imagine posting something the team "should have done better" when they won the NC....nope.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 07/02/08 12:48 PM

The team barely won. In OT. The twins haven't qualified yet. Xavier Henry may go to Memphis. Self needs more posts and more advice than ever before.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 07/02/08 12:56 PM

He should get some more really good players who can score a lot of points.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 07/02/08 12:59 PM

99--that's like the track coach on Saturday Night Live. I need you guys to be really fast.

Chris Farley--I thought you said you wanted us to be really fat.

Coach--No, I said fast.

Farley--DAMMIT!!!

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 07/02/08 01:07 PM

Coach Self,

Make sure the twins have sharpened No. 2 pencils before they take the test the next time. It's very important.

--Hombre
Posted by: FSCHawk

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 10/20/08 09:58 AM

Hey, Coach Self, can we please remove the ridonculously gaudy national championship banner and replace it with a standard one sooner than later?

Thanks,

FSCHawk.
Posted by: Hawklin

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 10/20/08 09:59 AM

Guess we should replace it before ESPN shows the real raising on national television.

That would be a good move.
Posted by: nycbackpage

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 10/20/08 10:20 AM

I forgot about this post. Did self ever get it? Maybe the Journal World should print this post in the editorials.
Posted by: robot

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 10/20/08 11:50 AM

Quote:

Hey, Coach Self, can we please remove the ridonculously gaudy national championship banner and replace it with a standard one sooner than later?

Thanks,

FSCHawk.

lol
Posted by: jayhwk01

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 10/20/08 11:52 AM

Coach,

Love the NC banner..thanks may we have another? Oh and with less NC game drama please. Don't know if the ole' ticker could take it.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 10/20/08 12:07 PM

I'd like to ask a question, rather than give Coach Self my advice right now.

Coach, does this car make me look gay?

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 10/20/08 12:35 PM

Fschawk= 5 stars from me
I cant beleive you took the time to find this gem
Posted by: FSCHawk

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 10/20/08 12:37 PM

Quote:

Fschawk= 5 stars from me
I cant beleive you took the time to find this gem

Hey, I try to do my part for KU basketball. I hope all our new players are reading it and mining it for good ideas.

If there are any recruits looking in, you should come to KU.
Posted by: Geezer

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 10/20/08 12:39 PM

Quote:

It's not the car.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 10/20/08 12:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It's not the car.

Maybe I should only drive my Hello Kitty car on weekends. I could use my other car for the work commute.

Posted by: minhin

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 10/20/08 12:45 PM

Gawd, how can people do that to a good car ? ?
(sorry if it's yours law)

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 10/20/08 12:58 PM

Compliments to pwhittemore

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 10/22/08 09:27 AM

Please take Reed's, Morningstar's, Appleton's and Little's scholarships away so we can land Xavier, Wall, Cheek and Snaer.
While we are at it, may as well take away the Morris twins, Thomas, Releford and Taylor's away so we can assemble a dream team for 2010.
Posted by: WDNC2008

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 10/22/08 03:33 PM

Lol good times, good times. How I long for WDNR2007.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 12/06/08 06:13 PM

Enjoy.
Posted by: Morgansraider

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 12/06/08 06:32 PM

Most advice sucks, but this is good advice......

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/12/09 04:10 PM

Well, maybe it's time to resurrect this bad-boy.
Posted by: PHOGUSHER

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/12/09 04:19 PM

Quote:

Well, maybe it's time to resurrect this bad-boy.

no not really ...why would that be necessary for the COY....bad idea Constanza...or as I like to call ya.."Cantstandsya.....wedgie time for jayhawklaw anyone.....someone close to him do it...DO IT NOW...and steal his copy of the
Tropic of Cancer.....lol...

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/12/09 04:22 PM

Again, PHOGUSHER, you are behind the curve. This is for all the people questioning Self's decision to have players playing versus on the bench or questioning why we performed so poorly against the zone today.

For people that want to vent in that way, this thread is for them.

Besides, I thought it was Tropic of Capricorn.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/12/09 04:26 PM

Besides, I thought it was Tropic of Capricorn.

hey I am just replying that way cause like I said I "Canstandya...." and you should know what book it was it was stolen from you after the umpteenth wedgie you recieved....

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/12/09 04:29 PM

Not sure what I ever did to piss you off so badly, but I am sure that I wish I knew, so I could keep doing it.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/12/09 04:32 PM

Quote:

Not sure what I ever did to piss you off so badly, but I am sure that I wish I knew, so I could keep doing it.

Hey just continue to post on a normal basis and I will do the rest....I cant pick on gutter all the time....your the backup I bust on for variety sake....hasbeen is a distant third......

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/12/09 04:41 PM

If Coach Self gets COY he should get a day off from reading all of the notes he's getting.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & staff? - 03/25/09 07:49 AM

Dear Coach,

To save time, I will summarize some of the instructions from the message board.

1. Guard Raymar Morgan. Who cares if everyone else scores 250 points? Only Raymar matters. The message board says so.
2. Stress that the players make their free throws.
3. Cole Aldrich has superhuman powers beyond belief. You should probably put them to use.
4. Get Cole and Sherron to stay another year, but still find a way to bring in all the recruits we've heard about without going over the scholoarship limit. Might need to use some of those superhuman powers from Cole Aldrich to make the math work, but we all know that he can do anything.
5. Make the team to play better than they did on the trip to East Lansing.
6. Get Gutter some good seats in a KU section. The free tickets his buddy bought for him aren't good enough. Perhaps he could sit on the KU bench and relay text message suggestions during the game from the message board?
7. Make jokes to Tom Izzo that he'd look goofy with a shaved head. If you do that during the pregame handshake, he'll spend the whole game thinking about his hair instead of the game.
8. There is a dispute about Jersey colors. The most reasonable tactic appears to be to come out during warmups in Red Jerseys, but switch to Blue ones before the game starts. Don't worry about how the team plays. The jersey color is the only thing that will determine if the team wins.
9. Hit lots of 3 point shots. Mix in some dunks. Midrange jumpers aren't bad either, but the 3 pointers and dunks are a lot more fun.
10. Win

There are more suggestion, and a few are probably about to be added, but those are the highlights so far.

Is your pinstripe suit back from the cleaners?

Thanks for following orders Coach. You're the best.

B
U
M
P
!!!!!

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/25/09 07:57 AM

Dear Coach.
Please be nicer to strangers at Henry T's.
Thank you,
Paul Reubens
Posted by: larryb

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/25/09 07:59 AM

5 Decade - Nice work. #6 is a must.
Posted by: Lawhawk2011

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/25/09 08:40 AM

Quote:

Dear Coach,

To save time, I will summarize some of the instructions from the message board.

1. Guard Raymar Morgan. Who cares if everyone else scores 250 points? Only Raymar matters. The message board says so.
2. Stress that the players make their free throws.
3. Cole Aldrich has superhuman powers beyond belief. You should probably put them to use.
4. Get Cole and Sherron to stay another year, but still find a way to bring in all the recruits we've heard about without going over the scholoarship limit. Might need to use some of those superhuman powers from Cole Aldrich to make the math work, but we all know that he can do anything.
5. Make the team to play better than they did on the trip to East Lansing.
6. Get Gutter some good seats in a KU section. The free tickets his buddy bought for him aren't good enough. Perhaps he could sit on the KU bench and relay text message suggestions during the game from the message board?
7. Make jokes to Tom Izzo that he'd look goofy with a shaved head. If you do that during the pregame handshake, he'll spend the whole game thinking about his hair instead of the game.
8. There is a dispute about Jersey colors. The most reasonable tactic appears to be to come out during warmups in Red Jerseys, but switch to Blue ones before the game starts. Don't worry about how the team plays. The jersey color is the only thing that will determine if the team wins.
9. Hit lots of 3 point shots. Mix in some dunks. Midrange jumpers aren't bad either, but the 3 pointers and dunks are a lot more fun.
10. Tell Sherron to shoot the ball often and lead this team. However, if he's not making those shots, they must not be good shots so he shouldn't take them unless of course he's making them in which case he needs to keep shooting and lead the team.
11. Win

There are more suggestion, and a few are probably about to be added, but those are the highlights so far.

Is your pinstripe suit back from the cleaners?

Thanks for following orders Coach. You're the best.

!!!!!

#10 was necessary.
Posted by: rockchalk80

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & staff? - 03/25/09 08:58 AM

my friend and i both agree that we've got to utilize our guys more to wear out opponents' guards....yada yada yada....
any more suggestions?

I am sure this has been posted... but really?-- the NCOY, sweet 16 (after losing 5 starters)...he needs our advice? heh heh heh, our concerns? heh heh heh, our praise? yes

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/25/09 09:31 AM

Posted by: kuman

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/25/09 09:37 AM

I thikn me and you are the only ones talking right now.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/25/09 11:10 AM

This was a fantastic bump.

Quote:

Quote:

Ah yes, then we could matriculate down the court with the greatest of ease against these Vikings.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/11/09 01:55 PM

Bump

Here you go phsx!

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/11/09 02:28 PM

Quote:

If you get in to HCBS office - please make sure you let him know that the "Dribble down and hand the ball off play - wont work in the NCAA Tourny"

I am sure he has forgot and will be excited to be reminded.

Look at this gem from page 3. Nope this play would never work.
Posted by: phsx_hawk

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/11/09 02:59 PM

coach: bring lance and lets meet UK somewhere on down the road. by the time UK meets up with us in any deep portion of the bracket, x will be ancient history and cj will be playing in some farm league, somewhere.

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/23/09 09:57 PM

FINALLY! thank god I found this thread!

ok coach heres the situation!

We really need to land lance soon! I read on the UK boards that they are close to landing Wall. They say this is detrimental to our program and our NC next year! Please, Sign this guy NOW!
also, when you have time, the guys and I have been working on a great play down at the local 'Y' I'd like to talk it over with you!

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/23/09 10:09 PM

Dear coach, I have a little bit of advice for you. The next time someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/08/10 06:13 PM

Dear Bill:

Sorry that it's been so long since anyone has posted on this thread. We fans have been busy and all. I hope you understand and don't hold it against us.

Here's the latest advice from the message board:

Caddystacks has requested that you bench Sherron and Cole for the Big12 tournament.

The consensus is that Joe Dooley should hold out for a better job than East Carolina. Make it happen.

Tell Sherron to Dunk.

Tell Marcus to take out his aggressions by breaking backboards, and not by head-butting sideline tables please.

Please tell Lew and Jim to NOT PRINT UP ANY KU#1 T-SHIRTS.

Keep your twitter account open on the bench... fans may have more advice to offer as the games become more important.

Thanks for listening, Coach.
Posted by: hawk61

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/08/10 06:16 PM

Tell him to send all suggestions to me...and I'll use my "mod" status to send texts to Dools and Townsend!!!

That'll get their attention...they love 61!!!
Posted by: kufan80

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & staff? - 03/08/10 06:18 PM

Let's throw the picket fence at Colorado/Texas Tech

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/08/10 06:20 PM

Quote:

Tell him to send all suggestions to me...and I'll use my "mod" status to send texts to Dools and Townsend!!!

Do they love you enough to leave you tickets?

Posted by: hawk61

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 03/08/10 06:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Do they love you enough to leave you tickets?

Nah........they don't luv me that much!!! You think I'd waste my time on these boards with you yahoos ifn they was giving me tickets????
Posted by: OREAD

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & staff? - 03/09/10 12:56 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I suggest that you don't delude yourself into thinking that Coach Self, and his staff, want, need, or will read your advice......

If Self and staff started listening to fans, they and the entire team would be doomed, and quickly. Thank god they don't.

Posted by: CrimsonNBlue

Re: how do we post advice/notes to coach Self & st - 04/16/10 05:11 PM

hey coach. tell josh selby to come play basketball here next year.