Posted by: littlerichard

Quartero has resigned - 12/29/06 04:01 PM

Press release posted on www.kuathletics.com
Posted by: Wickedson

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/29/06 04:08 PM

See ya!
Posted by: Hawk1990

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/29/06 04:12 PM

Excuse me while I shed some big fat alligator tears.
Posted by: NotAPuke

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/29/06 04:17 PM

Now the key is who replaces him. Steve Senstrom, Pat Ruel, Reesing's HS Coach, Mike Shula, Dirk Koetter...there are a ton of good candidates out there that can coach. PLEASE do not promote from within!
Posted by: catilac

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/29/06 04:17 PM

how about that
Posted by: Leawood

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/29/06 04:26 PM

Clairvoyant catilac.

But is he delusional?

"KSU with all it's futility that you so readily point out, has

more bowl wins
more bowl appearances
more All Americans
more winning seasons in the last 50 years!
more 7 win seasons
more 8 win seasons
more 9 win seasons
more 10 win seasons
more 11 win seasons
more heisman candidates
more weeks ranked
more top 10 finishes
and on and on and on"

It is both sad and funny to watch him.
Posted by: thedangman

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/29/06 04:30 PM

Let's put Mangino at O-Coordinator and hire Shula.
Posted by: Ike

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/29/06 04:49 PM

Didn't Shula used to be a NFL coach?
Posted by: beenahawk

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/29/06 04:54 PM

It will be interesting to see if this move is a positive or negative for the Buddha. If nothing changes, (like Mason after the Bob Fello firing) we will know for certain that the BIG GUY IS THE PROBLEM!

I'd love to get Pat Ruel back......wouldn't mind seeing him as a head man either.

2007 here we come!
Posted by: Ike

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/29/06 04:56 PM

lol

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/29/06 04:56 PM

Quote:

Now the key is who replaces him. Steve Senstrom, Pat Ruel, Reesing's HS Coach, Mike Shula, Dirk Koetter...there are a ton of good candidates out there that can coach. PLEASE do not promote from within!

Does the Buddha give the Ransom Rambler a call?
Posted by: Leawood

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/29/06 05:01 PM

Actually, the Fello firing was a good thing because that brought Hank's defense here from CU. KU didn't have nearly the 23 yard give ups on 3 and 22 as in '93 and '94.

Ruel will never come back as an assistant. Hemmingway really screwed him in '95.
Posted by: SDakotaJayhawk

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/29/06 05:03 PM

Never like to see anybody lose their job (you know he was forced to resign). Best of luck to him.

This has me THRILLED though! Can we please, please, please bring someone inovative w/ an imagination in? It's all about the system IMO. Love the one that Mizzou is running now and we have the TE's for it.

2 TE's on offense and 3-3-5 on dee baby!

Re: Not so sure there Leawood! - 12/29/06 05:12 PM

Quote:

Actually, the Fello firing was a good thing because that brought Hank's defense here from CU. KU didn't have nearly the 23 yard give ups on 3 and 22 as in '93 and '94.

Ruel will never come back as an assistant. Hemmingway really screwed him in '95.

If you have watched the Gophers at all, Mason is still intent on preventing the BIG pass play and I'm betting that Tech won't get a long one by Glen's boys all night, but rather march down the field 10-15 yards at a time. Just like EVERYONE did to KU when Mason was running the show. Hank had a free hand in fixing the 95 Defense, Mason took control again in 96.
Posted by: NotAPuke

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/29/06 05:12 PM

Oregon State loved it too...39-38
Posted by: jayhawk154

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/29/06 05:16 PM

One has to wonder how much input Lew Perkins has on this decision? Does he bring in an OC who can assume HC duties if Mangino fails next season? Is Mangino the sole decision-maker on this one? One has to wonder...
Posted by: MOHAWK

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/29/06 05:18 PM

First the KSU beating, then Fizzou blows a big lead late (boy, does that seem familiar) and now this!!

It is like Christmas all over again!
Posted by: MOHAWK

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/29/06 05:19 PM

Good point about Lew.

I would bet that he has a lot of input into the hiring of the next OC.
Posted by: Coach

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/29/06 05:38 PM

You gotta wonder how much effort he was actually putting in if was looking to pursue opportunities outside the coaching profession.

Here is a link to what Rivals.com has listed:

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=606251#coordinators
Posted by: appyhawk

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/29/06 06:51 PM

You get the feeling almost anyone would be an improvement.

I feel really bad for Cornish.
Under a competent OC Jon might have led the nation in rushing.
Posted by: namohcan_99

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/29/06 07:30 PM

Quote:

Agreed.
Posted by: namohcan_99

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/29/06 07:32 PM

Quote:

It will be interesting to see if this move is a positive or negative for the Buddha. If nothing changes, (like Mason after the Bob Fello firing) we will know for certain that the BIG GUY IS THE PROBLEM!

I'd love to get Pat Ruel back......wouldn't mind seeing him as a head man either.

2007 here we come!

Good point about Mangino. Time will tell. I do think keeping Quartaro on was Mangino's biggest flaw.
Posted by: gatorhawk

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/29/06 09:44 PM

I find it hard to believe he was fired. Didn't he get Mangino hired on at K State? But pursueing other opportunities is the normal code words for fired. Does anyone out there no for sure?
Posted by: sdoyel

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/29/06 10:00 PM

Today is a great day! But now, HCMM has nobody to blame his mishaps on.
Posted by: catilac

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/29/06 10:14 PM

so no props for breaking the news?

your welcome
Posted by: Merg311

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/29/06 10:53 PM

I give you props cat...nice call. You can't really blame us being suspicious on reporting it though...it looked like another flame post!
Posted by: used_cars

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/30/06 02:28 AM

Quote:

I would love Pat Ruel comming back as OC, but he is at USC now. Sadly we would be a backward move in his carreer. Ruel is brilliant and would have been a better choice for head coach than gameball. Hindsight is what it is. How about Dan McCarney as OC?
Posted by: bluestem244

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/30/06 05:09 AM

Let's face it, we are suffering from sticker shock that Perkins would give MM a pay raise when his ability to bring KU football to BCS stature was questionable at best. While MM has improved over previous regimes, his difficulties in seeing the light concerning Q as well as other bothersome field decisions certainly did not warrant the price KU has paid him. The program has brought revenue which should have been spent on facilities, educational supplements, and babysitters or better yet recruiting of players and a salary for an adequate OC.

Maybe Bill Snyder will come out of retirement to be OC. (Just kidding)

I am not in tune with the hidden football world enough to be able to identify an OC who is waiting in the woods for this opportunity. But that is exactly the type of OC which we need. Someone young and hungry, with imagination and the ability to motivate 40+ point come from behind wins. Who that is, where he is I cannot say but that is the type of person for whom we should be looking.

Class, focus and execution. KU football and basketball lacks these three concepts. Find someone with these and KU will succeed.
Posted by: GIHAWK

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/30/06 09:15 AM

Pat Ruel? Wasn't he the guy who ran the ball up the gut for 3 downs then punted?
Posted by: GIHAWK

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/30/06 09:19 AM

How about hiring one of the head coaches in the Jayhawk Juco conference. Would provide an instant pipeline to the program.
Posted by: KUColBond

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/30/06 09:29 AM

Anybody else notice that some of the KC news outlets had his name spelled Quintaro?
Posted by: kueric

Re: Quartero has resigned - 12/30/06 03:04 PM

what good would it do when we have JUCO recruiting restrictions.
I kind of like the idea, I just worry about the 'character' of many of those coaches
Posted by: prairie_dog

Re: Quartero has resigned - 01/01/07 09:54 AM

Hmmm. Cotton at ISU was McCarney's OC. Buddha always speaks highly of McCarney and his program (maybe not after last year).

Cotton may be the guy.
Posted by: The_Vock

Re: Quartero has resigned - 01/01/07 06:20 PM

Since his name was brought up, allow me to say... PLEASE DON'T CONSIDER DIRK KOETTER!