Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly

Posted by: AlOerter

Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/25/18 12:56 PM

Kingsbury out at T Tech. Fedora out at UNC. Maryland still looking. Others certainly still to come.

Glad we got Miles when we did.
Posted by: 58hawk

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/25/18 02:04 PM

Kingsbury would make a great OC here. He knows the Air Raid which is what Miles is lacking.
Posted by: Kirk

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/25/18 03:22 PM

Not sure Miles would have been a good prospect for those other schools. Sixty-five years old with young-onset dementia. Those programs are way ahead of where KU is. But he IS a good fit for us at this particular time. A CEO type that will hire good coordinators, create buzz, jumpstart recruiting, get us to .500 seasons within 5 years and retire, leaving us in a good spot for a younger, more up-to-date HC.

Posted by: PHOGUSHER

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/25/18 03:54 PM

You're an idiot...

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/25/18 04:20 PM

I’m happy Miles is here. His press conference was jarring; the man has a problem. But he’ll be a fine CEO type coach for awhile.

But if you think those long blankouts at the presser were normal, I question your judgment. Not that I care. Flame away.
Posted by: madcapper

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/25/18 04:45 PM

He has had those same blankouts since he was an assistant at Michigan.
Posted by: oldalum

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/25/18 04:53 PM

To Kirk:
Why do you insist on saying those cruel things? I had a sister die as a result of Alzheimer's, and there is nothing cute or clever about it. It is more than inappropriate for you to try to generate this terrible rumor.
Posted by: pizzanbeer

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/25/18 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Kirk
Not sure Miles would have been a good prospect for those other schools. Sixty-five years old with young-onset dementia. Those programs are way ahead of where KU is. But he IS a good fit for us at this particular time. A CEO type that will hire good coordinators, create buzz, jumpstart recruiting, get us to .500 seasons within 5 years and retire, leaving us in a good spot for a younger, more up-to-date HC.

Why don't you send an email to Girod about your concerns with Miles having symptoms of dementia? With Girod's medical background he could line up Miles for diagnosis and, if your concerns are validated, treatment to help with it. That would be a more productive action to take than yapping about it on a message board.
Posted by: moose1

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/25/18 05:38 PM

I’m happy Miles is here. His press conference was jarring; the man has a problem. But he’ll be a fine CEO type coach for awhile.

But if you think those long blankouts at the presser were normal, I question your judgment. Not that I care. Flame away.

You are never going to be happy are you Kirk? You are like those long suffering Cubs and Red Sox fans that reveled in the fact that they were bad before they won the Series.

The guy had a couple long pauses, by my count two, in an hour press conference. Every other time he spoke lucidly. As a matter of fact he made more sense than any of the last three coaches. Hell you yourself were only able to point out one example.

We could have the next Nick Saban, and you wouldn't be happy. That might mean KU would be a winner, the stands would be packed, and tickets would cost too much. That might mean KU would get a new stadium, and it would not have the memories of the old one.
Posted by: KUCO_VOC

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/25/18 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: oldalum
To Kirk:
Why do you insist on saying those cruel things? I had a sister die as a result of Alzheimer's, and there is nothing cute or clever about it. It is more than inappropriate for you to try to generate this terrible rumor.
Kirk may be exhibiting some other medical issues including bizarre anger outbursts at inappropriate times. Sorry to hear about your sis oldalum.
Posted by: PHOGUSHER

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/25/18 07:11 PM

Ban Kirk...

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/25/18 08:06 PM

As I said, I’m psyched about the Miles hire. He’s right for us, now. Original post said certain other programs would have sought him as HC. I don’t agree. I think there is a good reason for most relatively successful programs to look elsewhere.

For those of you who think I take Miles’s situation lightly or with any disrespect, you’re getting the wrong idea. My family too has cases of dementia. And Miles’s little pauses, those charming little mental absences? That’s what it looks like. That’s what it is. And Alzheimer’s is only one version of it.

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/25/18 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: madcapper
He has had those same blankouts since he was an assistant at Michigan.

Blankouts on the same level as the KU press conference, like at 23:20, below? Back at Michigan? He is extraordinary.

Please post examples.

https://youtu.be/IrJHPtUVshE
Posted by: madcapper

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/26/18 05:04 AM

Just an article i read on internet i'm sure you can find it if you look.

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/26/18 11:23 AM

Originally Posted By: madcapper
Just an article i read on internet i'm sure you can find it if you look.

Ha! Okay.
Posted by: Maximus

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/26/18 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: 58hawk
Kingsbury would make a great OC here. He knows the Air Raid which is what Miles is lacking.

Running schemes and trick plays with Miles.

Megan Daniels
Posted by: KUHawkhead

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/26/18 03:06 PM

I just watched the clip. A little disturbing, but one also has to remember that he had just come off all weekend contract negotiations and decisions about uprooting his whole family to come to Lawrence and the pressures and obvious self questioning of whether he is up to the task or not. I'll wait to see what he is like on the sidelines before I question is mental status. Hell, I have moments like that every couple of days and none of my pts has ever accused me of having dimentia.

RCJHKU!
Posted by: Jman1

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/26/18 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
I just watched the clip. A little disturbing, but one also has to remember that he had just come off all weekend contract negotiations and decisions about uprooting his whole family to come to Lawrence and the pressures and obvious self questioning of whether he is up to the task or not. I'll wait to see what he is like on the sidelines before I question is mental status. Hell, I have moments like that every couple of days and none of my pts has ever accused me of having dimentia.

RCJHKU!

Do they all have dementia? Nice spelling BTW, HH.. LOL

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/26/18 04:10 PM

RCJHKU!

It IS a little disturbing, isn't it? And yet the guys on this board are all menstruating like crazy and calling me disrespectful and asking that I be banned!

It's kinda awesome.

I actually suspect that you DON'T have days like that.

Whether Miles suffers from "dementia", I don't know. I'm not doctor. I've heard of "mini-strokes. Or maybe it's some kind of pharmaceutical haze. I hope he's OK, for his sake.

I just know that that level of mental falling-through-a-hole is eff'd up, especially when you're on the job, onstage, and discussing your own area of expertise.

I mean...I can't find examples of Miles doing it in his past positions, nor of other coaches or -- any professional -- doing that unless there's an issue.

The freaked out ladies on their rag will now resume their spectacular B&M'ing.

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/26/18 04:20 PM

RCJHKU!

It IS a little disturbing, isn't it? And yet the guys on this board are all menstruating like crazy and calling me disrespectful and asking that I be banned!

It's kinda awesome.

I actually suspect that you DON'T have days like that.

Whether Miles suffers from "dementia", I don't know. I'm not doctor. I've heard of "mini-strokes. Or maybe it's some kind of pharmaceutical haze. I hope he's OK, for his sake.

I just know that that level of mental falling-through-a-hole is eff'd up, especially when you're on the job, onstage, and discussing your own area of expertise.

I mean...I can't find examples of Miles doing it in his past positions, nor of other coaches or -- any professional -- doing that unless there's an issue.

Are you kidding me? Turner Gill says hello. These guys are college football coaches, NOT Rhodes scholars.

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/26/18 06:55 PM

You don’t have to be a Rhodes scholar to be able to avoid going into a dark mental vacuum during a press conference. The guy was unable to think. At all.

Watch the vid, at 23:00.

And then I challenge you to post someone else doing something similar while speaking within their own area of expertise, on the job, not drunk.

I mean, it’s so common, right?

Should be easy.

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/26/18 07:22 PM

I heard Blair Kerkhoff of the KC Star, who was at the press conference, say Miles' pause was a little awkward but that he took it as he was just trying to be ultra careful not to say the wrong thing.

As for not being a candidate for the other coaching openings, Miles has been one of the hottest names floating around for the last couple of years. But many think since KU hired him he must not be worth a crap.

I don't think he would have any trouble finding a job if he wasn't here.

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/26/18 07:29 PM

I watch the press conference and listened to Hawktalk. I am not concerned. Why would I search for videos when I am not concerned?

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/26/18 07:37 PM

I listened to Hawktalk and he sounded much more relaxed and personable. He was telling stories and joking with Hanni.

Moose has it right. Nothing to be concerned about. Let's judge him by what happens on the field next fall.
Posted by: Josh2408

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/26/18 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: AlOerter
I heard Blair Kerkhoff of the KC Star, who was at the press conference, say Miles' pause was a little awkward but that he took it as he was just trying to be ultra careful not to say the wrong thing.

As for not being a candidate for the other coaching openings, Miles has been one of the hottest names floating around for the last couple of years. But many think since KU hired him he must not be worth a crap.

I don't think he would have any trouble finding a job if he wasn't here.

Heard today that USC is still interested in Hiring Miles so yeah he is a hot commodity

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/27/18 10:19 AM

The factors involved have been discussed about the video, but the reality is that Miles has miles to go to get this program off the ground. He probably was thinking about it as he was answering to get the maximum exposure from the media event. If he got thru this, he was thinking, then he could do what he does best. Hire a staff, recruit kids at the same time, thinking about early commitment period in December, etc. Riding a bike is easy if you have done it before. Beaty's bike was too hard to master for him. On the rag? Not willing to go there...

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/27/18 11:11 AM

I’m not sure what you’re saying, but you sound reasonable at least, which is not on the rag, and therefore refreshing.

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/27/18 12:04 PM

I’m not sure what you’re saying, but you sound reasonable at least, which is not on the rag, and therefore refreshing.
The upshot of my post was that the new coach would not have been hired if he truly had a mental deficiency due to age. Many unknown factors here. Let's give him a fair shot before the criticisms begin!

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/27/18 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
The upshot of my post was that the new coach would not have been hired if he truly had a mental deficiency due to age. Many unknown factors here. Let's give him a fair shot before the criticisms begin!

I’d like to think so, but I’ve seen too much.

As I’ve said though, he’ll be a very good CEO guy. What we need now.
Posted by: Josh2408

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/27/18 04:20 PM

He is gonna be a very good Head Coach for us which is what we need now

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/27/18 06:23 PM

Seen too much? Are you a mental health professional, or a neurosurgeon, or someone else that would actually know? I doubt it.

To me you are turning into the DB of the board, which KUCO VOC is very happy about!

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/27/18 07:42 PM

Actually moose1 has been more mellow lately as well. But your point is well taken.

However, if Miles turns comatose on the sidelines or is caught napping in a golf cart (scooterman) in the afternoons I may change my mind.

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/28/18 11:11 AM

Originally Posted By: moose1

Seen too much? Are you a mental health professional, or a neurosurgeon, or someone else that would actually know? I doubt it.

To me you are turning into the DB of the board, which KUCO VOC is very happy about!

As in, I’ve seen KU make bad football decisions for too kong, under many administrations, to take anything on trust.

Flail away, crank case.
Posted by: tmcats

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/28/18 02:19 PM

georgia tech job now open.
Posted by: 58hawk

Re: Good Thing Miles Hired Quickly - 11/28/18 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: tmcats
georgia tech job now open.
thanks for the update...